Quantcast

My Little Budget Project In The Works

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
As some of you know, I had to sell my Niner EMD frame and my wheels and my Reba and a bunch of other stuff earlier this fall to help cover some hockey registration fees that were due for my kids.

Well recently a cool local guy gave me his Zion 853 frame (we had been going back and forth a bunch earlier when my Surly KM frame was up for sale/trade). In exchange I thanked him with a Sam Adams Sampler 12 pack.

So I had a base to work from again. He had the Zion set up as a 29/26er so I thought I'd try that too. Also decided to just single speed it ghetto stylee.

The frame came with an old school Ringle watter bottle holder and I had an old Ringle headset in my parts bin - so that went on the frame.

Went over to a local riders house and he gave me the following items in exchange for a little bit of $$ and a 12 pack of beer:

1. Old XT Cranks, with 34T salsa chainring and RF bashguard
2. Shimano square taper bb to match the cranks
3. Salsa Pro Moto handlebar
4. A couple of tires.

So I was that much closer after that visit.

I already had some Avid mechanicals, a stem, headset spacers and pedals so those were good items with which to work with.

Yesterday my 26" Zion rigid fork came via a guy on mtbr.com and the dirtrag forums. I don't think he ever used it and I saved a lot over the price of a new one and used money from other stuff I sold to pay for it so it was pretty much a wash for me.

Then late yesterday afternoon a local 29er guy sold me his extra set of disc 29er wheels for a great price! These are Bontrager Superstock discs and the front will serve as a great base for this 29/26 project.

So last night I started to put things together and here's where she sits as of now.

I've got a 21T cassette cog I think I'm going to try and use initially for a 34:21 gear ration set up. That should be fine for now and I can adjust later in the spring.

A seatpost and some brake levers are en route from a guy I sold some flat pedals to a couple of weeks ago - so those two items are covered. The seatpost will be paired up with my Fizik Nisene saddle.

What I still need is a rear 26" disc wheel (may get one from splat that is SS specific, or may get one locally from a fellow rider).

I have a slightly used 8 speed chain that'll work I'm pretty sure. But I do need a few more cassette spacers, one chainring bolt set (one of the ones I have is being finiky), and more than likely some kind of chain tensioner. Oh and some brake cable and housing, but I might have that covered as well.

We'll see how she turns out in the end, but so far it has been a fun and inexpensive process. Essentially I've been using money from the sale of other parts and my only real cash outlays are for those two 12 packs of beer (one for the frame and the other for some of the parts).

Right now, I'm a little nervous that the front end is a little choppered out, but we'll she how she looks with a seatpost and a saddle on there and the use of a slightly wider, higher volume rear tire on the back.

Whattya think?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'd love to find a used Rennen or maybe one of those newer DMR STS jobbies that looks to be a copy of the Rennen.

If anyone has a tensioner they no longer need or want, hit me with a PM or let me know via this thread. :)

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Looks awesome! Way to go. Ahh so you are the guy that traded a frame for a twelver of sammy's. Cool!

Rigid and SS, nice - welcome to the club, there is no better way to ride! Well sort of. I have a renewed interest in my 26er now that I am smitten with clipless pedals.

Can't you get a cog that will fit on the casset hub? I think that is what I have because I was thinking that if I hated riding SS I would go to a 1x9 but that's never happening, now.

Hey if you get this this rocking by the 19th, ride the Fall Epic with us.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
M - I don't have a rear wheel for it yet, but yeah I've got a cog I can use on a cassette ready hub if need be. Just need a bunch of spacers to get a good chainline for it, and a tensioner to keep the chain tight.

How did you hear about the twelver of Sams for Frame exchange?

I was going to buy Aeroplane's Surly fork for this, but found the Zion instead for almost the same price. And this fork is a pound lighter - I hope it works.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I threw a seatpost and saddle from my GF's Hybrid bike on it today. I think she's gonna ride just fine set up the way she is. I'm stoked!

The seatpost I'm going to use and some brake levers are en route - getting that much closer.

Woohooo!:biggrin:

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Tell, me more of this ...Fall Epic...
If you mean 19th of November, I am free. I'd love to go ride with you guys
G
CT NEMBA is planning a 25 to 30 miler for Case MT in Glastonbury, CT.

Check out the following link for details: Fall Fiesta Epic Ride Replacement

It would be a bit of a schlep for you unless you knew somebody in the Hartford area.

After the ride the club is picking up the tab at a local eating establishment.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Here's the latest developments on the Zion Project.

Still need a proper chain, a proper SS cog and a chain tensioner. Rear SS wheel courtesy of splat - thanks splat!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I want one! If you were to put a $ figure on it what do you think the total cost of this is? That is, without all your cumshawing, of course.
Price - hard to say.

One thing you could do is look for a complete rigid suspension corrected single speed on ebay or mtbr.com or somewhere else and if the fork is long enough and the fork is disc specific - you could just throw your Qball front wheel on and be good to go. Simple as that.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well she's all done and rideable - I did a craptastic job trying to get a tight chain though. Chalk it up to somewhat SS Newbieness I guess.

The last SS I had someone else did a ghettorigged chain tensioner set up on it, but they did a better job than I did with this PC48 and singleator. I think it can be corrected though.

I'll get some pics up tonight or tomorrow morning.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well I threw on a silver Ritchey stem tonight - 75mm - improved steering and fit. Here are a few pics I took this eve. I'm pleasantly suprised at how responsive the steering is on this bike. She's quick!

I swapped the Zion fork out for this generic suspension corrected fork compliments of A_A and as a result I had to use a crapload of headset spacers to get my bars the right height. Looks kinda weird but it is comfortable. Maybe some riser bars are in order?

She looks kinda funky - but she rides nice. Ideally I think she'd look better with a straight bladed rigid fork. Might go back to the Zion - we'll see. Definitely a quicker bike with this curved fork up front. Maybe something straight bladed but in between the two AC heights of my current options is in order.

Hopefully I'll get her out for a lengthy test ride this weekend.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
The fork looks reasonable.

I would get a 40degree stem before the riser bar. Should not cost more than $20-25 brand new.

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Awesome bike, man!

You should have rode with us on Sunday, it was an ass kicker. We had four 29ers in the group including my own.

Busted my saddle on a stooped manuever and got a replacement while enroute. I'll talk about it more on my blog.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Gotcha. I wouldn't get used bars from a stranger, but from a friend, yes.

I guess if I did get that high rise stem, it would leave the option open for Midge bars on a future project right? ;)

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Gotcha. I wouldn't get used bars from a stranger, but from a friend, yes.

I guess if I did get that high rise stem, it would leave the option open for Midge bars on a future project right? ;)
If you do not cut the steerer. You have your bars set where I have the tops of my Midge and the Midge's drops are where I would have the grips of a straight bar.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
MMcG, you used the 26" zion fork didn't you? I'm thinking of using that fork for a mutt I'm considering throwing together.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Update - first true ride on the Zion today and I'm home with a huge grin on my face!!

The bike is mega fun! single speeding kicks ass - literally and figuratively.

The bike handles great, is responsive and quick and the bigger wheel up front is a plus IMO. And the rear wheel hooked up well.

I could notice the difference in feel between the two wheels going over big rocks and roots - one was sorta dull, the rear, more harsh (but not overly so).

I do think I need some riser bars though - that'll bring the comfort level up a notch or two on my arms and wrists.

Overall I'm mightily stoked about how this bike rides!!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Latest update. Threw the Zion fork back on it, along with some Ritchey Riser bars. Think I'm gonna ride it in this configuration over the configuration with the shorter fork. The Zion fork feels about a pound lighter and the steering feels more neutral - not slow.