Quantcast

My new 29'er......

BrickTop

Chimp
Oct 29, 2002
Durango, CO
I recently had a flash of "gee, wouldn't it be neat if I had a SS 29'er?" come on, but in the past I was able to let the irrational feeling subside. This time however I broke down and snatched one off MTBR classfieds. Enter the Karate Monkey. Here she is with my newly won Brooks saddle (green leather with copper rails):

I rode it today for my first time through the steep dirt roads of my neighborhood (rural Colorado) and I was really surprised. You definitely get more exercise pounding that big gear, but it being fully rigid made it pretty responsive to pedaling, so it wasn’t that bad. The 29’er 2.2 tires set at 38psi didn’t make me forget about the lack of suspension, but it was waaaaay better than I thought it would be. Pretty comfy considering.

My first thought was making this a "townie" bike, but I think I'll give this baby some runs in the starting lineup from time to time. :thumb:

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
I have been riding that size wheel for the past 6 seasons in rural Colorado and have yet to use more than 30 psi and oftimes less. You might give that a try at least. Even around town. Unless you weigh 225 or more that is. Then you may want to run 32 psi. :rolleyes:

BrickTop

Chimp
Oct 29, 2002
Durango, CO
hitekrdnk said:
I have been riding that size wheel for the past 6 seasons in rural Colorado and have yet to use more than 30 psi and oftimes less. You might give that a try at least. Even around town. Unless you weigh 225 or more that is. Then you may want to run 32 psi. :rolleyes:
Are you running Stan's? Or does a 29'er tire resist pinch flats better than a 26? 29'er newbies want to know. :)

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
The only time I ever even tried Stan's I about blew up my eardrums instead of my tires. Strictly an Oly's man. I hate to say it without knocking on some wood but I have had about 2 trail related flats since 99' running 30 psi as a maximum pressure. Results of course by others will vary.

P.S. I just had the wierdest flashback, you didn't used to drive around in a big blue rig with yellow lettering on it did you BrickTop?

BrickTop

Chimp
Oct 29, 2002
Durango, CO
hitekrdnk said:
The only time I ever even tried Stan's I about blew up my eardrums instead of my tires. Strictly an Oly's man. I hate to say it without knocking on some wood but I have had about 2 trail related flats since 99' running 30 psi as a maximum pressure. Results of course by others will vary.

P.S. I just had the wierdest flashback, you didn't used to drive around in a big blue rig with yellow lettering on it did you BrickTop?
Nope, wasn't me.

Thanks for the info. I've had good luck with Stan's over the years, but maybe I'll stick with these tubes and give it a run.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Nice looking Surly! She's a beauty. I'd give lower PSI a try in those tires for a softer more compliant ride.

I've run my WTB exiwolfs down to about 20psi while using a rigid fork on my Karate Monkey.

BrickTop

Chimp
Oct 29, 2002
Durango, CO
MMcG said:
I like. Hellbent flats huh? Mine have a ever so slight rise to em.
Aside from the saddle and pedals, this is how I bought it off MTBR. I may start removing red ano pieces ala 1994 at some point and may swap in a riser. I want to get a feel for it as is first, then decide what needs changed if anything.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
BrickTop said:
....how tall are you (inseam also)? I have been eyeing up a medium surly KM auction & not sure if it is big enough (I am 6' w/ a short inseam [30"] & typically like a longer ETT, but I recently rode the medium Raleigh XXIX & it felt really good with a comparable TT length).

seabass

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
knoxville, tn
jncarpenter said:
....how tall are you (inseam also)? I have been eyeing up a medium surly KM auction & not sure if it is big enough (I am 6' w/ a short inseam [30"] & typically like a longer ETT, but I recently rode the medium Raleigh XXIX & it felt really good with a comparable TT length).
I am right at 6 ft with a 34 inch and ride a medium.

BrickTop

Chimp
Oct 29, 2002
Durango, CO
jncarpenter said:
I'm 6'2" with about a 34" inseam. I'd suggest the medium for your height. I feel slightly stretched on this large, but it's about right.