Quantcast

My new 4X, All-Mountain Bike

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Built her up last night. 07 Giant Trance. This will be my new 4x, DS, All-Mountain bike. I used most of my parts off my last 4x bike. The only thing I have to do is change out the seat post to a Thomson when it comes in and I have plans to replace the Rock Shox Revelation to a Fox 32 Talas RLC.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
why the full cable run to the deraileur? why not use the cable stops?
Every time I have used the stock cable stops on any of my old bike I always had to replace or clean the cables all the time. This way when running one long cable housing you don't get mud and grim in the housing all the time. I wish all frame builders would realize this and stop using cable stops and use the new zip tie mounts instead.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Nice! Is that just a regular trance frame or do they make a 4X version...didn't see one on the giant site.

what's the geo like??

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nice! Is that just a regular trance frame or do they make a 4X version...didn't see one on the giant site.

what's the geo like??
Nope!!! Just your normal old Trance. The geo is really nice the way I have it set up. It is a size 18" frame. The true TT is 21.5", the same as it was on my Morewood Nadiza frame. The stand over is really nice too.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Dude looks awesome! Sweet ride!

But why didn't you get a completely different frame, and set it up with completely different parts, so you'd have something totally different than what you have now?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Dang Cecil, how old are those tires? I would have figured that your "sponsor" would have got you some new ones.:twitch:

Nice ride.
Ha Ha!!!! Got 3 pair of the old Wild Gripper DH's at the start of the season. On the second set now. One of the best 4x and DS tires Michelin ever made...... I was told after this year there will be no more left or made. I will miss them!!!!:twitch:

bewg10

Chimp
Nov 6, 2006
What will you do with the Revalation man? I 've been looking at those for a while. Let me know.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
yeah I ride the trance 16" for mtx it is probably one of the best 4x
ds fs bikes out there! Alot lighter than morewood Intense and everything
else, Super stiff laterally in the rear the linkage is tight and short along
with placement of the shock it is stiff light and super efficient!
the only thing with the geo I would improve for ds mtx is the head angle
it is 70.5 a little steep but you can adjust, the stp is perfect to me
69 degrees. You will really enjoy this frame Cecil.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
yeah I ride the trance 16" for mtx it is probably one of the best 4x
ds fs bikes out there! Alot lighter than morewood Intense and everything
else, Super stiff laterally in the rear the linkage is tight and short along
with placement of the shock it is stiff light and super efficient!
the only thing with the geo I would improve for ds mtx is the head angle
it is 70.5 a little steep but you can adjust, the stp is perfect to me
69 degrees. You will really enjoy this frame Cecil.
Lighter than everything else? Have you seen the cola can GT Lopes rides?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Ok, the bike weighs in around 28lbs setup the way I have it right now. Took it out for the first ride this past weekend. I love it!!!! The thing pedals like a rocket and has no bobbing at all. It was very strange not to have any brake jack when I hit the brakes on the first hill. The bike jumps effortless and is easy to whip around in the air. It also rail turns just as nice as any small travel bike I have ever had. I would recommend the Trance to anyone that wants a 4x, DS, All-Mountain bike.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Ok, the bike weighs in around 28lbs setup the way I have it right now. Took it out for the first ride this past weekend. I love it!!!! The thing pedals like a rocket and has no bobbing at all. It was very strange not to have any brake jack when I hit the brakes on the first hill. The bike jumps effortless and is easy to whip around in the air. It also rail turns just as nice as any small travel bike I have ever had. I would recommend the Trance to anyone that wants a 4x, DS, All-Mountain bike.
How did the HA feel? It is pretty steep at 70 degrees. What length fork are you running on it?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
How did the HA feel? It is pretty steep at 70 degrees. What length fork are you running on it?
Depends on what I am riding. I mostly run it at 100mm. I can run it from 85mm to 130mm. The HA felt great. I just get on a bike and go man. Not being an A$$ in any way. I have been building bikes from the frame up for years and I never mesure HA and things. I know when I am on a good setup and when I am not. The bike is going to be a great do it all bike for me.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I was thinking about doing the same kind of thing with an IH Azure, any thoughts on this?
Dave Smutok has an azure set up for slalom/4x. It actually looks really nice. Granted its a tiny frame, im not sure how a bigger one would work.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Funny, I thought the Trance I rode was too tall (cog) and short in the cockpit. Whatever floats your boat, though.

ian

Chimp
Nov 29, 2007
How tall are you to be riding an 18" Trance. I am 5'11 and could pick up a 20" from last year.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
How tall are you to be riding an 18" Trance. I am 5'11 and could pick up a 20" from last year.
I am 5'11" too and the Ture TT on the 18" is 22". I think the large will be to big for you unless you like a tong TT. By the way I am back riding for Morewood now. Get a Morewood Mbuzi. Its new for 08 and gets 5" of rear wheel treavel. Its thier new All Mt bike.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
I am 5'11" too and the Ture TT on the 18" is 22". I think the large will be to big for you unless you like a tong TT. By the way I am back riding for Morewood now. Get a Morewood Mbuzi. Its new for 08 and gets 5" of rear wheel treavel. Its thier new All Mt bike.

Looks like a Bullit. with an inch less travel. actually more like the iron horse ojiki