Quantcast

My new all-around bike!!

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
So I decided that I needed a bike that could do everything instead of having two bikes that only do some things. I found a good deal on this frameset and then bought a new wheelset and the rest came off my P.2. I still have to add a front shifter, but at least I can ride it without that for now. Hopefully I'll be back on the trails soon!

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I'm not sure there are many people out there who would call a hardtail their 'all-around' bike. That looks like a dirt jump bike to me.

In any case, it looks sweet! Nice bike!:thumb:

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Big B said:
I'm not sure there are many people out there who would call a hardtail their 'all-around' bike. That looks like a dirt jump bike to me.

In any case, it looks sweet! Nice bike!:thumb:
That's true, and it is basically a dirt jumper, but I needed something that could work for trials, urban, light trail, family rides, etc. So I think this will pretty much cover that...

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
ryan/kona29 said:
looks great man! super beefy frame!
Thanks! Even with it looking so beefy I was surprised at how light it still is. I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's lighter than my Coiler and definately more maneuverable (size 14" compared to my Coiler's size 18"). The heaviest part of this bike is the wheelset; those Sun SUV's are really burly, but I love the way the ABBA hub sounds "Click, click, click, click".

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Captain Crunch said:
lower that seat now.
Hahaha... the seat is up high so I won't be temped to do any tricks on this thing until it's fully set up.... not really, it's up because it was a convenient way to strap it in a bike clamp for working on it. I need to add a QR to the seatpost so I can adjust it on the fly though. That way uphill climbs like Tiger won't be so bad...

On a side note Steve, your sister is WAY too hot to be posting her photo all over the web for free... Tell her she needs to set up a pay site ;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Looks like a back breaker for Tiger.:p You sure you need a front shifter for it? You'll be stoked the further Collanade comes along for trials, there is alot of rock goin on.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Skookum said:
Looks like a back breaker for Tiger.:p You sure you need a front shifter for it? You'll be stoked the further Collanade comes along for trials, there is alot of rock goin on.
A front shifter will allow me to climb better on this thing as well as go really slow so I don't outrun my wife if we go biking together ;)
I keep looking at the photos of Collonade... can't wait until it's done... Seems like it could use some berms on the turns though.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
I've decided to try to get this bike dirty this Saturday morning at Phillip Arnold. I haven't been there in a while so it might be nice to go back. Anyone been there during the past couple of dry days we had? Was it really muddy or just muddy in the normal areas (bottom of tapeworm, etc.)? Any info. would be appreciated :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oxygen_77 said:
I've decided to try to get this bike dirty this Saturday morning at Phillip Arnold. I haven't been there in a while so it might be nice to go back. Anyone been there during the past couple of dry days we had? Was it really muddy or just muddy in the normal areas (bottom of tapeworm, etc.)? Any info. would be appreciated :)
Hey! I know where you bought that from!:) People had done quite a bit of bridge work on the bottom of Tape, so you miss most of the wetter spots:thumb:

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
oxygen_77 said:
but I needed something that could work for trials, urban, light trail, family rides, etc.
Interested in trials, huh? should come out and ride with the seattle trials crew some time. We have a reasonably sized group ride pretty much every weekend. We are also gonna have a demo at the bike swap on the 18th and 19th - should come by and say hi.

Jonathan

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Snacks said:
Hey! I know where you bought that from!:) People had done quite a bit of bridge work on the bottom of Tape, so you miss most of the wetter spots:thumb:
I didn't buy it from where I think you think I did ;) They were asking too much for them so I went elsewhere. Good to know that Tapeworm is still getting love from the riders.

Chutney,
I used to ride trials with a group around the UW. I also went to Gasworks occasionally. Here's a pic of me doing some backhops after I hopped my way up the little concrete stairs there.

Thanks for letting me know about the group rides; I'll try to make it by sometime :)

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Good stuff! Gas works is all kinds of fun! I've spent hours on just those same stairs and platform things.

Check out observedtrials.net (if you haven't already) for group rides and the like.

Jonathan

(nice bike, BTW)

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
oxygen_77 said:
Hahaha... the seat is up high so I won't be temped to do any tricks on this thing until it's fully set up.... not really, it's up because it was a convenient way to strap it in a bike clamp for working on it. I need to add a QR to the seatpost so I can adjust it on the fly though. That way uphill climbs like Tiger won't be so bad...
On a side note Steve, your sister is WAY too hot to be posting her photo all over the web for free... Tell her she needs to set up a pay site ;)
when are climbs not uphill???
haha

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Badmunkey said:
Nice looking ride Jason! Did you get rid of the Coiler?
Thanks! Yeah, I sold the Coiler to a guy at Microsoft for $800 and I'm hopefully selling the P.2 frame tomorrow. Luckily though my new bike only cost me $700.00 (almost half of that was the new wheelset); the rest I scavenged from the P.2 or previous bikes.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
oxygen_77 said:
Thanks! Yeah, I sold the Coiler to a guy at Microsoft for $800 and I'm hopefully selling the P.2 frame tomorrow. Luckily though my new bike only cost me $700.00 (almost half of that was the new wheelset); the rest I scavenged from the P.2 or previous bikes.
That new ride is missing a pivotal component. The squeaky orca horn. :p

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Badmunkey said:
That new ride is missing a pivotal component. The squeaky orca horn. :p
Oh don't you worry; it'll go on there. I can't really go trail riding until I have my Orca horn to scare away the Bears... ;)

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
sweet looking bike. You'll have to come out and ride with us now. we went to skate barn tonight, and because it was valentine's day, there was probably only 10 people there. 4 skaters, 4 of us riding mountain bikes or trials bikes, and 2 froot booters. people came and went, a few bmxers where there. but it was so empty.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
iridebikes said:
sweet looking bike. You'll have to come out and ride with us now. we went to skate barn tonight, and because it was valentine's day, there was probably only 10 people there. 4 skaters, 4 of us riding mountain bikes or trials bikes, and 2 froot booters. people came and went, a few bmxers where there. but it was so empty.
Cool man! Sorry I never called your friend about his bike, but I decided the Porter Pro frame was more of what I wanted.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
ya, no worries, he actually ended up selling it as a complete for like 500 bucks or something like that. It looks like things worked out pretty well all around.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
So I guess I'm going to have to take another photo of my new bike tonight. I managed to get a super-good deal on a front shifter so I set up the front derailleur and shifter. Also I'm now running Hayes 9's with 8" rotors on the front and back... plus I got a new QR seat-collar. Stay tuned for the photo...

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Ok, so here's the photo I promised.

New brakes (calipers, rotors, levers), new seat, added the front shifter. Now I'm ready to roll!