Quantcast

My New Banshee Chaparral (as promised!)

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Originally posted by Echo
Do I see SRAM on there? :thumb:
For sure... it's fully SRAM man! I'm stoked to try their new triggers and rear deraileur. I like the cable routing through the new X9 rear deraileur... it seems WAY better than XT for sure. On top of that, the standard SRAM cables are Teflon coated! They are super smooth and don't fray! Nice touch.

WEIGHT???

Well, this bike is about the lightest bike I've owned in years. I don't know the exact weight, but I'm guessing in the low 30 lb range. It feels way lighter than my Balfa 2Step, Turner RFX and Norco Shore for sure.

Course, I think most of that weight savings are in the tires/tubes. It's got the Kenda Nevegal 2.35 Kevlar tires, which weigh about half of what I'm used to. I'm sure the tires/tubes are about 3-4 pounds lighter than the DH tires/tubes I've been riding. I'm a little nervous, but hopefully these tires will be sweet.

I've ridden the DH Nevegal in a 2.5 and LOVED them. I've never flatted with DH tires/tubes in 3+ years, so I'm a little leary... we'll see. I think the Kenda 2.35 width tire is about the same as most people's 2.5's though... they seem beefy!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Looking good there!

Looking forward to the ride report.

BTW, can someone give me the quick and dirty as to how the SRAM triggers operate and work? How do they differe from Shimano Triggers?

And what level would the SRAM X-7 equate to in terms of quality/durability?

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Originally posted by MMcG
BTW, can someone give me the quick and dirty as to how the SRAM triggers operate and work? How do they differe from Shimano Triggers?
With the SRAM you only use your thumb to shift.... push to shift down, and the upshift lever you push up with your thumb... really sweet. I also like the fact that the shifting ratio is 1:1 rather than 2:1 on Shimano. IOW - if you hear 2 'clicks,' it's shifting 2 gears... plain and simple.

Burnwood

Chimp
Nov 10, 2002
Victoria, BC
I'm glad that your chappie is nice and light, mine sure isn't :dead:

I'm loving every aspect of mine thus far. It leaves me with a smile after every ride...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Burnwood said:
I'm glad that your chappie is nice and light, mine sure isn't :dead:

I'm loving every aspect of mine thus far. It leaves me with a smile after every ride...
Just curious but how much does your Chappie frame weigh and how much does your complete bike weigh Burnwood?

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Wumpus said:
So have you ridden it yet?
Yup... it's been built for over a month now. The only problem is that our new house just got finished, so we've been busy moving in, etc. I haven't ridden it in about 3 weeks!

I do have to say that I LOVE the rig though. My only complaints are with the lack of a granny gear, but that's easily remedied.

It's a sweet rig for sure! I'll work on a review to be posted on the site soon.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Very nice indeed. Z150?

My chappy weighs about 37#, but that's with a 18" frame, 6" '01 Super T and 1200+gm tires F/R. If you can get yours into the low 30's, though, you are doing something miraculous.

Burnwood

Chimp
Nov 10, 2002
Victoria, BC
MMcG said:
Just curious but how much does your Chappie frame weigh and how much does your complete bike weigh Burnwood?
I was told by my shop that the Chappie frame weighs a bit over 10lbs. Built up, it's hovering around the low 40's depending on what tires I put on...Michelins front/back, 42lbs :dead:

But, the heftness is mostly due to my build: chromoly cranks, Jr. T fork, Michelin tires w/DH tubes, etc...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Wumpus said:
So does anyone have one set up for more of a trail bike?

We don't have real DH's here in Texas so it has got to be able to go up, too.
Mine is set up to be my trail bike. The only parts on mine that raise eyebrows are the tires(Panaracer 2.3 Fire DH...1150gm or IRC Kujo 2.25/2.35) and the fork, but my 6" Super T weighs less than some single crown forks these days...6 1/2lbs.

I guess if you used a lighter frame shock and fork(4 or 5")- perhaps a Vanilla R and Z1- you could get it down into the low 30s. Mine feels great as a 6"/6", though, so I got rid of the Z1 and added a couple pounds to the rig.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
llkoolkeg said:
Mine is set up to be my trail bike. The only parts on mine that raise eyebrows are the tires(Panaracer 2.3 Fire DH...1150gm or IRC Kujo 2.25/2.35) and the fork, but my 6" Super T weighs less than some single crown forks these days...6 1/2lbs.

I guess if you used a lighter frame shock and fork(4 or 5")- perhaps a Vanilla R and Z1- you could get it down into the low 30s. Mine feels great as a 6"/6", though, so I got rid of the Z1 and added a couple pounds to the rig.
Which rear shock are you using? How do have it set up and how much do you weigh?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Wumpus said:
Which rear shock are you using? How do have it set up and how much do you weigh?
Also, what size frame did you get and how tall are you?**

**(I know everybody has different length legs, but it'll give me a general idea.)

Burnwood

Chimp
Nov 10, 2002
Victoria, BC
I'm 6'2", 195lbs...I run the 2" stroke Vanilla RC with a 800lbs spring, in the 6" setting, on a size Large(18") frame.

I use the chappie as a trail bike primarily with a old school 5" Jr. T out front, two rings, and fat 2.5 Michelins usually. It climbs MUCH better than my Giant AC and shouldn't fail as often either (I killed 3 chainstays).

I opted for the Fox over the Romic after reading all of the horror stories on here lately. Being located in Canada means that if I ever had problems with a Romic, I would be waiting a long time to get it fixed...

Burnwood

Chimp
Nov 10, 2002
Victoria, BC
llkoolkeg said:
That Chianti Red is TIIIIIITS! It was the color I had originally ordered, but at the last minute, I called up Casey and switched to the blue. I'm still not decided as to which I like better. :)
I couldn't decide between the two colours either...So I told my shop to suprise me. I am definately happy with the red, although that blue was stunning also.... :think: