Quantcast

my "new" boxxer is kaputt

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
So today I was having a great day on the bike. Was really on it hammering the track. Then I decide to start taking lap times. At my first try as I'm in the middle of a bermed turn I hear a loud metallic *snap* and all of the sudden my bars just twist in the opposite direction as my front wheel. I crash kind of hard and then my trusty bike follows and hits my head. Luckily this happened at tight turn and not at some high speed part of the track. Anyway here is what caused my crash. My first theory is that they messed up the alloy. The fork has around a month of use and I haven't had any hard crashes that involved directly twisting or bending the fork. I'm pretty sure it's a warranty thing and hope this doesn't happen to anyone else...I still love the fork.

BenP

Chimp
Apr 2, 2008
hey there, could you please upload the last picture in hi-res? i'd like to the fracture surface... that gonna tell you alot.
or even better, please take another closeup and upload somewhere in hi-res...

Last edited:

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
hey there, could you please upload the last picture in hi-res? i'd like to the fracture surface...
It has "bubbles" that don't seem to have a corresponding filling counterpart on the other side of the fracture and the magnesium seems a bit to corny and therefore brittle. Any materials engineer out there thinks the same?
Here it is:

Last edited:

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
that zip tie just was too tight...sorry I have to say it! anyway I hope RS solves that quickly and w/o any cost to you....and it seems a very dangerous spot for a fork to fail w/o a crash so RS should check that asap! good luck...!

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
It has "bubbles" that don't seem to have a corresponding filling counterpart on the other side of the fracture and the MAGNESIUM seems a bit to corny and therefore brittle. Any materials engineer out there thinks the same?
There i fixed it for you:)
Oh im not a huge expert on this sorta thing so no comment:rolleyes:

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
glad your ok yeti but fock buying a '10 boxxer . sure they look cool , but there's way too many horror stories about the '10 boxxer .

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Awesome....

Yeah I'm with dhmike on that one. That could be a cool fork if it weren't a SRAM product maybe.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
it does look very porous.hmmm it looks like a poor casting, it might have been 1 in a 1000 that it happened to. It shouldn't happen at all but sometimes in a high volume manufacturing process these things can occur. I am not sure what process SRAM uses for the casting of their lowers, but perhaps they should double check the results before they allow them to be sold...

on the positive side, good thing you are still alive and not too seriously hurt yeti...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Jesus...

:eek:

Yeti - glad to hear you are OK and that this didn't happen on a steep/rough/rocky part of the track. I'm no materials engineer, but to have this happen in a bermed corner of all places...

I've seen first gen. FOX 40's snap in nearly the exact same location - but that was due to stresses induced from high speed hits such as hard bottom-out on landings.

Call SRAM, get someone's email in the tech. dept., and send them the hi-res pics - they will definitely want to see this.

EDIT: Have the serial number from your fork handy when you contact them.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Holy crap, a Boxxer with a snapped arch...... No way, that just isnt possible, Boxxers never break like that, never ever.

Seriously, just a thought, maybe not the best idea to post up yet untill after warranty issues have all been resolved.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Holy crap, a Boxxer with a snapped arch...... No way, that just isnt possible, Boxxers never break like that, never ever.

Seriously, just a thought, maybe not the best idea to post up yet untill after warranty issues have all been resolved.
Why not? In no way is he bashing the product. If anything, if/when SRAM sees this, they'll hook him up big time so he comes back on here and posts how awesome SRAMS CS is etc... Sh1t happens, and manufactures know this. I'll still be on a BoXXer next season, after all this first year run stuff's ironed out.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Why? Good on him I reckon... Might be a heads up for other owners to check their forks.

Staying silent about that kind of issue won't affect the company's response at all.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Why not? In no way is he bashing the product. If anything, if/when SRAM sees this, they'll hook him up big time so he comes back on here and posts how awesome SRAMS CS is etc... Sh1t happens, and manufactures know this. I'll still be on a BoXXer next season, after all this first year run stuff's ironed out.
2011 Boxxers will break too, and 2012's.........and forever.
I'd never trust one. I thought maybe I'd trust the new ones, but maybe not.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Definitely a bad casting. You can see the gas pockets everywhere. Not only that, but the way it's crystalized just doesn't look right. I'm figuring maybe the melt wasn't hot enough or there was a serious amount of air in there, because it looks very strange to me.

I only briefly touched on this a couple of years ago, but I'm sure no metalurgist.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Ive seen this happen to an 07 one aswel, bear in mind the guy hit a tree at about 25,but i still trust sram, which is why i ordered an 010 race yesterday....

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
If he didn't hit a tree or had a hard crash on the fork, I don't see any reason to delete his post...it seems a clear example of warranty issue for me...

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
Jesus...

:eek:

Yeti - glad to hear you are OK and that this didn't happen on a steep/rough/rocky part of the track. I'm no materials engineer, but to have this happen in a bermed corner of all places...
I've seen first gen. FOX 40's snap in nearly the exact same location - but that was due to stresses induced from high speed hits such as hard bottom-out on landings.
Call SRAM, get someone's email in the tech. dept., and send them the hi-res pics - they will definitely want to see this.
I live in Switzerland so I will contact the RS dealer on monday. At the shop we have another brand new Boxxer Team which I will take. I don't want to bash the product in any way. I hope this was just some misshappening in the production on that day. Otherwise I love the fork and this is the reason why I still want to keep using it.

Why? Good on him I reckon... Might be a heads up for other owners to check their forks.
Staying silent about that kind of issue won't affect the company's response at all.
If he didn't hit a tree or had a hard crash on the fork, I don't see any reason to delete his post...it seems a clear example of warranty issue for me...
Like you say, there is no reason to stay silent about something like this. I didn't crash against a tree and then complained about the product nor am I bashing it. Sure it's not good for their image, but it's a rider's safety issue. From the looks of the fracture I don't think one could have seen it coming though. Before the ride I cleaned the bike and don't remember seeing anything suspicious about the fork in that area. It also happened after about 9 runs on that day. Still if you're a riding a boxxer I would certainly check it a bit more often.

And I'm ok. Only some bruises here and there and my neck is still a bit stiff but nothing serious luckily. Cheers!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I disagree. There may have been a few bad batches of lowers out there, and if this can save someone from a serious injury it is well worth it. I'm sure Sram will step up and cover him as well as anyone else with this issue.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
2011 Boxxers will break too, and 2012's.........and forever.
I'd never trust one. I thought maybe I'd trust the new ones, but maybe not.
I've seen EVERY and ANY kind of fork break at the arch. Not just Boxxers. I've seen just as many Marzocchi's and Fox's broken in the same exact place. So your comment is completely irrelevant.

Last edited:

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
everything breaks, its just the what caused it that matters, he was JRA for the most part, but did he hit a tree or case something or crash hard previous to this to cause a micro crack which worked till he hit this corner?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Definitely a bad casting. You can see the gas pockets everywhere. Not only that, but the way it's crystalized just doesn't look right. I'm figuring maybe the melt wasn't hot enough or there was a serious amount of air in there, because it looks very strange to me.
Nah, you can't judge cast magnesium against cast aluminum. It fails more like MMC than an aluminum alloy. That looks right except for the two spots that may be voids, or it may that there are two corresponding protrusions on the other side of the fracture. But the rest of it looks normal to me.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
good to hear your ok Yeti, saw the pic on facebook and though you had a nasty crash but not that i would have broken while you were still on the bike...i get my 2010 team tommorow, wish me luck haha