Quantcast

my new build 29 or 96?

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
The basic jist of the 96er, is that it supposedly allows you to have a "reasonable" wheelbase, with shorter chainstays, lower standover for smaller riders, and a rear wheel that acclerates quickly.
Too bad you still have to push a big front wheel before you go anywhere. :brow:
The tube thing isn't such a big deal, as lots of folks are running 26" tubes in thier 29er tires.
Also, some folks here in New England will argue that they are better in technical situations because you can get off the back when the rolling steep stuff.
Personally, I think all of that is great if it works for you. I, and many others on 29ers have no issues with any of the above with 2 full sized wheels. Go big, or go home! ...or something...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm building up a 69er on a really low budget, but primarily because I want to have something to ride, and I got the frame I'm using in exchange for a 12 pack of Sam Adams.

Otherwise I would be going full 29er as well. And hopefully will be able to have a true 29er come springtime or summertime.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I'm building up a 69er on a really low budget, but primarily because I want to have something to ride, and I got the frame I'm using in exchange for a 12 pack of Sam Adams.

Otherwise I would be going full 29er as well. And hopefully will be able to have a true 29er come springtime or summertime.
I say new job = new bike !! :cheers:

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico

I have a new Gary Fisher 29er frame I am trying to get rid of.Let meknow.I would trade for your 96er frame cause I have 2 29er frame.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
What model fisher is it?

Not a huge fisher fan, but let me know what you've got.

I'm actually kind of curious to see how I like the 69er set up. Gonna go the Single speed route on it.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
It is the x caliber 29er in that way cool orange metal flake.Let me know,Iam not a fisher fan at all but I will have to say thier new 29er frames are really cool.Let meknow if you want it.bike 289.jpg

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
No thanks. I'll stick with what I've got for now. Looking forward to seeing how this frame I have rides. It is steel and a good quality of steel at that - even though it isn't from a major name.

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
The basic jist of the 96er, is that it supposedly allows you to have a "reasonable" wheelbase, with shorter chainstays, lower standover for smaller riders, and a rear wheel that acclerates quickly.
Too bad you still have to push a big front wheel before you go anywhere. :brow:
The tube thing isn't such a big deal, as lots of folks are running 26" tubes in thier 29er tires.
Also, some folks here in New England will argue that they are better in technical situations because you can get off the back when the rolling steep stuff.
Personally, I think all of that is great if it works for you. I, and many others on 29ers have no issues with any of the above with 2 full sized wheels. Go big, or go home! ...or something...
Standover is just as high with a small rear wheel. It's the large front wheel that messes with standover for a typical double triangle design. 2.5" larger front wheel > 1.25" taller standover. But often 29"ers have shorter head tubes to somewhat compensate, making the difference with 26" minimal, and motly subject to frame design, not wheel size per se.

How did 29"res first get the "overhyped" tag, and today people ar so often considering a halfbreed as their first big wheel experience? Scared of the deep end? Or the hype behind the (for a whole good set of reasons) rare halfbeeds?

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
I will for sure try it .I will have all the parts.I just wanted a frame with sliding or horozontal dropouts to do the ss thing.Also the caliber is a bit to big for me.I would like to trade it for something smaller.But I plan to put it together and try it unless I sell in the next few days.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Standover is just as high with a small rear wheel. It's the large front wheel that messes with standover for a typical double triangle design. 2.5" larger front wheel > 1.25" taller standover. But often 29"ers have shorter head tubes to somewhat compensate, making the difference with 26" minimal, and motly subject to frame design, not wheel size per se.

How did 29"res first get the "overhyped" tag, and today people ar so often considering a halfbreed as their first big wheel experience? Scared of the deep end? Or the hype behind the (for a whole good set of reasons) rare halfbeeds?
I learned a ling time ago to not buy into any hype.I really try and ride it for myself before I spout at the mouth.Besides it 's much more fun to try it all.And if it's not funn what is the point,I alreadt have a job.

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
I will for sure try it .I will have all the parts.I just wanted a frame with sliding or horozontal dropouts to do the ss thing.Also the caliber is a bit to big for me.I would like to trade it for something smaller.But I plan to put it together and try it unless I sell in the next few days.
I can understand that but you can get a tensioner for $50 or so and thus not have to worry about another frame. However, Zion just came out with some 29er frames, geary and SS and real nice Prices. Check out JensonUSA.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Yeah I have a tensioner.I love those Zion frames but I need to get rid of the fisher first,or trade someone.I need a smaller frame anyway and I would like the smaller one to have horizontal or sliding dropouts.