Quantcast

My new DH/FR hardtail – finally built!!!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I wanted something with a 12mm thru axel, adjustable dropouts, and a 1.5 head tube, but I don’t believe that a hardtail should cost you more than $500 for just the frame! Well, I found it.

Soul Cycle Sluggo – aka “The Great Pumpkin”

I already have a Titan (which has seen time at Big Bear, Mammoth, Northstar, Diablo, and Bootleg Canyon, as well as numerous local trails), so I knew Soul Cycles makes a great bike.

I rode at Mammoth this weekend and except for a few minor adjustments (which are expected since it was the first ride on the bike), the bike rocked! It feels solid, is steady in the air (which is critical for me b/c I suck at jumping) and just feels perfect for me. only thing I plan on changing is putting smaller tires on it (borrowed some 2.7" from my roommate b/c I was too cheap to go get new tires... those things are a bit too big).

Thanks to Chad and his crew at Soul Cycles!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
That thing is a bit hefty right now - 42lbs. But those tires are HUGE and HEAVY. It was actually nice for DH, but if I'm going to pedal this at all (which I did do a little bit of last weekend), I'll need lighter tires and tubes.

Not sure what is up with Soul Cycle... their website is down (Click the link in my signature). Their bikes are great IMO... but the company seems to always have some sort of issue.

They have been having some issues with getting stuff out to the public in the past year, I hope that they survive.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Nice bike sir. Too bad their site is down, hopefully they have been uploading info about the Sluggo. I want to know what the numbers look like for this frame.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
metalhead119042 said:
It resembles an Imperial frame. Is that a Sherman Breakout you have on it?
Yup and yup.

It's geometery is close to the 'imperial SL', but for a LOT less $$$

DVRider

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Southeast MA
That can't be your bike. Too many of the parts on it look brand new!

Congrats!

BTW, Looking like a November timeframe for Surgery so maybe I'll have to make a trek out to SoCal for some rehab XC riding next spring.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
UGH... that is a long time without biking man - sucks!

When you are back - we've got plenty of climbs out here for ya!!!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
dablake914 - I actually wanted it orange...

Rainer Wolfcastle - There are plenty of systems out there that do that already.

Mordax

Monkey
Sep 13, 2003
Redding, CA
whats the frame alone weigh? also, how do you like your titan? ive been considering either of those frames as my next freeride hardtail. post with pics of your titan?