SIC Direct Mount stem
Answer Pro Taper bars
Hayes Mags 8"
Sram X9
Race Face North Shore cranks
E13 SRS 40t
Sun Eight Track Wheels
Sun Pedals

Before anyone says anything, The seat post is now inside the seat tube, and the chain is fine

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
That's a pretty sweet ride man... I like that color orange.

I also like the built in fork bumpers in the frame - it's about time someone started doing that. I wish more frame manufacturers did it - it's just one less thing to fiddle with.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I just got back from a few "shuttle" runs on the local DH trail and all I can say is that it performs even better than it looks. It's a very good sprinter, and surprisingly flickable. I am offically in love!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
haromtnbiker said:
Is it just me or is the handlebar pretty tall?
The short seattube makes the bars look tall, but it's a Boxxer w/ a low setup, not tall at all.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
thats hot!!!!!
Sorry to bother, but i've been searching for the photo of a camo (maybe anonized) r9, with avalanche shock and fork, its driving me crazy so if anyone have the link or the name of the thread, i'll be very grateful

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
la_cleta said:
thats hot!!!!!
Sorry to bother, but i've been searching for the photo of a camo (maybe anonized) r9, with avalanche shock and fork, its driving me crazy so if anyone have the link or the name of the thread, i'll be very grateful
i believe that is zahgurim's bike you are talking about.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
ufdff15 said:
Have you ever tried a properly setup R9? Obviously not because if you have you would not make that asinine statement. Why do you like your bike?
I'm just curious! Jesus, it wasn't an attack. Nothing stands out to me, so I was wondering if there's more that goes on than meets the eye.

And no-no one here has an R9. Or a Sinister. It's all Demos and Konas. And the Konas look similar.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
blue said:
I'm just curious! Jesus, it wasn't an attack. Nothing stands out to me, so I was wondering if there's more that goes on than meets the eye.

And no-no one here has an R9. Or a Sinister. It's all Demos and Konas. And the Konas look similar.
Sorry it just sounded like you were being negative, Simple Suspension design, and very high quality. The construction on all Sinisters is just amazing. I've never used a Kona or Demo so I can't comment on the differances. But if you do ever get a chance to try one out you will understand why people ride them.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
wow that sick.
how much sag do u run? is it true those bikes are supposed to run 50% sag?

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
My sag is only set around 35% right now, but yes the more sag the better, I've heard some even run it around 60%. I'm getting a new spring soon to get mine setup right. I'm sure SuspectDevice can give a littel more insite on the setup and the wheel path.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The axlepath is an open "C" shape with a very gradual angle up top, like most bikes with a similar pivot location. FTW chose a lower pivot for the Motorheads, as even though he really liked the way the Project X ate bumps, the other aspects of high-forward single pivot didn't make it worthwhile for him. The pivot location was chosen to achieve the best possible balance between pedaling and braking efficency and bump swallowing.
The team runs between 4-6" of sag, with most of us settling around 4.5" or 45% sag. This is right at the beginning of where the suspension firms up if you are running the medium leverage setting. The first 4" of travel is as light and fluffy as a cloud, and to get to the meaty stuff in the middle you need to run lots of sag. The beauty of the R9 is in the leverage curve, it is spot on, and should be after 12 or so revisions over the last 9 years. And yeah, it doesn't hurt that the bike is put together amazingly well with total attention to detail buy a man obessesed with going as fast as possible.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
It looks long but doesn't feel it at all. . I've taken the bikeon some very tech/tight trails and I haven't felt that it was too long. It has slightly shorter wheelbase than my friends V-10.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
my bud has an R9 with a monster on it. it looks huge. it weighs a ton. but it rides like it is much lighter. a cliche, i know, but definitely true. it also rides like it has a shorter wheel base when it comes to turning. not sure how it feels on the bumps, as i have never ridden it on the trail. it does not seem to have much brake interaction for a single pivot from what i could tell in my parking lot test bounces.