Quantcast

My New "Doit all" Steel Hardtail

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
I had this bike up for sale for a little while ( in a different config.). I would ride it every few days and think to myself, "this frame rocks, I cant sell it" So I built it up with some different parts I had. Its an Azonic Steelhead. Up front is a Marz Z150 FR/SL riding on a Chris King HS, with an Easton stem and Syncros Bulge bars with ODI Ruffian lock ons. It is set up as a single speed. The rims are Alex DX32's, the same that Ryan Leech rides on the rear of his bike. I ride this bike for Urban/Trials/Freeride. Anyway enough blabber here are the photos.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Cool. Looks good! :thumb: I'm almost finished building up a Steelhead as well. Mine is set up as more of an urban/DJ bike. I'll post some pics in the near future for comparison. :)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think I might build one of those up. I had a 14" Azonic DS1 for the longest time and it was a fun play bike. The top tube was too short and I didn't like the feel of aluminum.

I think the Steelhead XL would be perfect. That looks great!

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
face said:
i love those wheels soo big and large and awesome:thumb:
Sweet bike man!

Just watch out for those rims! They are nice looking rims and they split at the seam! My friend had a brand new set and they only lasted a fiew rides and came apart where they are pinned together!

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
ctrailfreak said:
Sweet bike man!

Just watch out for those rims! They are nice looking rims and they split at the seam! My friend had a brand new set and they only lasted a fiew rides and came apart where they are pinned together!
serious? that sucks mine have held up great. i like 'em a lot

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
I thrash the crap out of mine doing rear wheel hops and bad landings. And yep they are coming apart at the seam, but its been that way for months now. Since I am riding with an extra heavy duty (and I mean EXTRA HEAVY DUTY) innertube and the 2.6 Kenda, I think they take alot of stress off of the rim. I think my rear wheel alone weighs 10 pounds, well maybe not that much, but heavier than.....well you know.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have been riding that rim for aout 4-5 months now with no problem. beating the **** out of it. case, rear wheel hops, side hops.... and the thing is still perfectly true. the thing is to biuld the wheel right the first time and keep up good maintance.

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
jimmydean said:
I think I might build one of those up. I had a 14" Azonic DS1 for the longest time and it was a fun play bike. The top tube was too short and I didn't like the feel of aluminum.

I think the Steelhead XL would be perfect. That looks great!
I had a 14" DS-1 as well.. built it up with a 4" Z3-QR20/Shimano cable discs which was a nice match for the frame.. then built it goofy with a Psylo Tulio and a 24" Mag30 + Intense 24"x3.0"... that back tire made the bike look mean but it sure was hard to pedal to work and back.. Then in another incarnation I built her up with 8" Avid cable brakes (way too much power for a small bike) and a 6" boxxer.. took it down some steep nasty trails, had a ton of fun, and sold the frame.. nice lightweight fun frame but you are right the top tube was a little too short on the 14"

fat_sac

Chimp
Jul 22, 2005
pangeist said:
I just fill the frame up with beer, theres a tap under the seat.
:dancing: This is hilarious. I'm pretty bored and thought you guys should know this. I'm filling my frame now for those late night urban assaults in downtown. :)