Quantcast

My New Eight2Five!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
gar nichts

but a remote reservoir dhx will fit if its the 8,75" version.
trust me i have tried.
9" wont fit either btw.

the shock shuttle is for using smaller shocks, like 6,5" and transforming it to 4x duty. (slick!)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
but a remote reservoir dhx will fit if its the 8,75" version.
trust me i have tried.
Where did you get that? Can PDC get them now?
I talked to kyle about this a while back and it seemed like a no-can-do.

Would really move the PDC up my list for next years frame if it'll fit a DHX, even if it has to be remote. But I didn't think they were available (short of modding the remote res off a turner onto a normal 8.75 DHX).

Would be so cool if he changed it for 07 to take a normal res DHX, but I think that is impossible without slackening the seatube further or interrupting it.

What's a 2003 Big Hit wheel base?
Medium = 45.19" with a 7" boxxer, as stock.
Will be a little longer with an 8" fork, i'll measure my 03 DH with 06 Boxxer sometime tonight.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
you need to fab up some sort of fender to protect your shock from all that mud. It will at least help to prolong the life of your shock.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Are you kidding?

Highend shocks don't use sealing technology equivalent to '98 RST forks. There is a dedicated dust wiper that will wipe the shaft clean of dust, mud and grit, and a pressure seal or o-ring below that that will keep the oil in, and any water that gets past the dust wiper out. Just like forks.

While a shock guard might help you sleep at night, it is making no difference to the shock's performance or seal longetivitity.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
you need to fab up some sort of fender to protect your shock from all that mud. It will at least help to prolong the life of your shock.
it doesnt need any, like ffatman says, the upright keeps all mud away, i posted some pictures of that 13 months ago, search for it, they should be around

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Where did you get that? Can PDC get them now?
I talked to kyle about this a while back and it seemed like a no-can-do.

Would really move the PDC up my list for next years frame if it'll fit a DHX, even if it has to be remote. But I didn't think they were available (short of modding the remote res off a turner onto a normal 8.75 DHX).

Would be so cool if he changed it for 07 to take a normal res DHX, but I think that is impossible without slackening the seatube further or interrupting it.

Medium = 45.19" with a 7" boxxer, as stock.
Will be a little longer with an 8" fork, i'll measure my 03 DH with 06 Boxxer sometime tonight.

oh, well, i havent tried a dhx remote on it, but i have fitted a couple with DHS's and knowing how the hose exit is, im positive it will fit, i also tried the standard DHX but it was a no go as the whole compression adjuster interferes with the seat tube, got a picture of it somewhere if someone would want it.
anyway, i have put rocos on many 8to5's and the result is great, i know eddiegold here on the forum did too and was very impressed by how his bike changed, so with the very little LS compression damping (if any) needed with this bike, and the fact you can run a 350lbs spring with an active shock like a roco and not have bottom out problems, i dont really think not being able to fit a DHX is a major concern. weight is almost the same too, and less than the stock swinger.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Is there any way to contact Kyle atm? I emailed him a few days ago and haven't heard anything back. International phone calls are too expensive too.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
So will an Avy fit it?

I am honestly considering one as my FS DH Bike next year... how easy is it to whip around for the tight East Coast style woods?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
So will an Avy fit it?

I am honestly considering one as my FS DH Bike next year... how easy is it to whip around for the tight East Coast style woods?
yes avy DHS fits, craig has done valvings for me and they work great. tried both single and double compression adjust.

never been to the east coast, but i have ridden the 8to5 and it definitely out turns both me and most if not all other bikes ive ridden. its got to be something in there with the supershort CS, low center of mass, and great standover.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yeah, it works well in the tight stuff - 16-3/4" cs, low bb, cg & standover & slightly steeper ha make for a nimble package (mine spends most of its time on north shore trails).

kyle seems awol at the moment. i tried calling his shop line last week - to no avail, and i've gotten no response via email to his personal acct. hmmm.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
yeah, it works well in the tight stuff - 16-3/4" cs, low bb, cg & standover & slightly steeper ha make for a nimble package (mine spends most of its time on north shore trails).

kyle seems awol at the moment. i tried calling his shop line last week - to no avail, and i've gotten no response via email to his personal acct. hmmm.
Does anyone know the weight of the frameset?

I've quietly admired these from the first time I saw them. Currently looking at a Sunday Factory frameset but could be swung onto a pdc if the price / weight was right.

Cheers

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
frame is 8.7lbs with no shock. with a 6-way & ti spring it's 10.5lbs.

i've been on mine for a full year now, with nary a problem. its been a fun ride. since i haven't posted it for at least a couple weeks:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
the suspension design is very similar to an old cortina extreme 8 and the front triangle looks similar to the new triton
Can you explain how that suspension design is with a little more words, since i don't know how the Extreme 8 works?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
frame is 8.7lbs with no shock. with a 6-way & ti spring it's 10.5lbs.

i've been on mine for a full year now, with nary a problem. its been a fun ride. since i haven't posted it for at least a couple weeks:

I love that bike. Frikkin beautiful.

Ridge Rider

Chimp
Nov 11, 2005

What BB heights have you guys got on your builds. Actual head angles would be nice too

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
as built, ha is about 65°, bb is 13 5/8".

thanks, ciaran! it's too bad the company hasn't been more aggressive. despite being built here, they really have no local presence - ie, no team riders, no advertising, and strangest of all, no local shops selling them. i had hoped they were ramping things up after last years impressive interbike debut, but they've been disconcertingly quiet.

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
@ Vitox
Would you prefer the 825 for dh racing to the Solaris (Canfield F1 or any other high pivot frame with rearward axle path?)
I am trying to decide between a 825 and F1

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
as built, ha is about 65°, bb is 13 5/8".

thanks, ciaran! it's too bad the company hasn't been more aggressive. despite being built here, they really have no local presence - ie, no team riders, no advertising, and strangest of all, no local shops selling them. i had hoped they were ramping things up after last years impressive interbike debut, but they've been disconcertingly quiet.
last time I talked to kyle, admittedly a while ago, he said that the vast majority of their production frames were going to europe as they seem to be more willing to try new companies frames out than north americans....while there will always be a few people here and there willing to give em a go, most people here seem to want to stick to the tried and true frames that always crack anyway......

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
here is one

maurizio@pdc/marzocchi doing a bubba impersonation at the nationals yesterday

gelbwurst: for all but the most utterly HA demanding applications id consider the 825 a tighter racing package than the ones you mention

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Why doesn't the owner of PDC Racing post here anymore?

Oh yeah, what type of a pivot is that on it? Does it have bad brake-jack etc?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Why doesn't the owner of PDC Racing post here anymore?

Oh yeah, what type of a pivot is that on it? Does it have bad brake-jack etc?
its got paralel links, structurally similar to lots of other bikes, with the uniqueness of having the shock mounted to the swingarm instead of to a link.
no brake jack to report back about id say.

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
gelbwurst: for all but the most utterly HA demanding applications id consider the 825 a tighter racing package than the ones you mention
when i first rode my 825 i couldn't get along very well with the 13.7" BB height my bike had, but now i love it, and i can't stop thinking about how whould it be if it were lower and slacker.
since i don't have the budget to try first and ask later :biggrin: , i whould like to know what the monkeys have to say about my thoughts...

could a dhs 2.75 be shortened to 8.5"*2.75"? if so, what about using it on the 825?
or
what do you guys think about a 24" rear wheel?

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
its got paralel links, structurally similar to lots of other bikes, with the uniqueness of having the shock mounted to the swingarm instead of to a link.
no brake jack to report back about id say.
What are the benefits of these links with the uniqueness of having the shock mounted to the swingarm instead of to a link?
Special wheelpath?