Quantcast

My new Hero

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Assuming it's not illegal to fly a foreign flag higher than the American flag I wonder when the vet is going to be arrested for property destruction.
Of course, wearing these

or these

is just showing your patriotism.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i'd like to see the court that finds him guilty of property destruction in this matter.
and i do believe the shop owner knew or at least, should know that he can't fly anything above the american flag. this country gives him the opportunity to run his business, don't spit in it's face.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
i'd like to see the court that finds him guilty of property destruction in this matter.
and i do believe the shop owner knew or at least, should know that he can't fly anything above the american flag. this country gives him the opportunity to run his business, don't spit in it's face.
Can someone actually show me the law that says that the American flag must never be lower than a foreign one. What a retarded law that would be...thousands would be arrested when the Olympics come to America.:busted:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
On the news the shop owner was quoted as saying he had no idea it was against the law.

I figured it was common sense, but I guess that's just me.

<edit> It's a federal offense. I'll see if I can find the law.

Here you go:
Title 1, Section 4 governs the display of the flag, and section 7(g) states the following:When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace. The order of precedence for flags generally is National flags (US first, then others in alphabetical order in English), State (host state first, then others in the order of admission) and territories (Washington DC, Puerto Rico, etc.), Military (in order of establishment: Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard), then other.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
On the news the shop owner was quoted as saying he had no idea it was against the law.
he probably didn't, hence the reason for citizenship classes..which i'm sure are nowhere in his future plans. i guess it's just a courtesy and respect thing. i spent some time in the mid-east as a visitor (i didn't own a business and live there) and yet i knew that there were several things i was used to doing that are considered offensive over there...so i didn't do those things.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
he probably didn't, hence the reason for citizenship classes..which i'm sure are nowhere in his future plans. i guess it's just a courtesy and respect thing. i spent some time in the mid-east as a visitor (i didn't own a business and live there) and yet i knew that there were several things i was used to doing that are considered offensive over there...so i didn't do those things.
In the Navy you are required to go through a briefing for each port. That way when your ass lands in jail for being stupid, you can't claim ignorance as a defense.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Well I've lived in Japan for 11 years and I still do blundering "look at that stupid stinking hairy round eyes can you believe he just did that" things every day. If I never wanted to give offence to the Japanese I'd never leave the bloody house. Unless you've grown up in that country or come from a very similar one then you couldn't possible ever know what's going to get someone's nose out of joint. I do know that some people have got it in for foreigners and don't ever cut them any slack at all.
I'm Australian so most of American culture seems fairly transparent to me but I didn't know that about the flag. I mean you can burn the bloody thing, wear it as underwear and socks but fly it lower than another flag and you've committed a heinous breach. Seems somewhat strange to me.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Well I've lived in Japan for 11 years and I'm still do blundering "look at that stupid stinking hairy round eyes can you believe he just did that" things every day.
11 years and you still have trouble differentiating what's acceptable and unacceptable behavior? Japanese custom hasn't changed much in the last few hundred years. Get a clue.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I didn't know about the flag thing and wouldn't have given it a second thought had I seen it.

Maybe I should take citizenship classes?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
11 years and you still have trouble differentiating what's acceptable and unacceptable behavior? Japanese custom hasn't changed much in the last few hundred years. Get a clue.
You've got to be ****ing kidding me. Throw a Southerner to the North or a New Yorker to Nebraska and they'll still commit cultural mistakes 11 years later.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
You don't have the least idea what I'm talking about do you. Obviously way way above your level of understanding although it's hardly a subtle or obtuse point. Just the fact that you say Japanese custom hasn't changed much in the last few hundred years tells me what a dilettante you are.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I didn't know about the flag thing and wouldn't have given it a second thought had I seen it.

Maybe I should take citizenship classes?

Same here. Even if I knew I wouldn't have cared. That whole care more about the symbol than what it stands for isn't my thing.

Not exactly related but the situation reminds me of this.

1992 World Series

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
You don't have the least idea what I'm talking about do you. Obviously way way above your level of understanding although it's hardly a subtle or obtuse point. Just the fact that you say Japanese custom hasn't changed much in the last few hundred years tells me what a dilettante you are.
and a double-ended one at that.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dont think it's a law, so much as a standard protocol. I didnt even click on any links, but you can legitimately do anything you want with flags legally speaking.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I dont think it's a law, so much as a standard protocol. I didnt even click on any links, but you can legitimately do anything you want with flags legally speaking.
Apparently JD is checking into the legalties or otherwise of the situation.
Come on JD pull ya finger out mate, anyone would think you have something better to do.:disgust1::busted:;)

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
You've got to be ****ing kidding me. Throw a Southerner to the North or a New Yorker to Nebraska and they'll still commit cultural mistakes 11 years later.
Only a dolt would continue to make the number of mistakes that would force them to stay inside if they wanted to avoid committing them. How much energy does it take to have a little more social awareness? Not much.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
You don't have the least idea what I'm talking about do you.
Sorry about that. Perhaps you should sign up for some ESL classes and get back to me when you can state what you really meant more clearly. I'm sure someone would be really happy to have you as a lab partner.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Only a dolt would continue to make the number of mistakes that would force them to stay inside if they wanted to avoid committing them. How much energy does it take to have a little more social awareness? Not much.
ok, that was funny, but for other reasons.

like your use of "social awareness". this is america: land of the corpulent. home of the egotesticle.

i think we'll turn the corner if we traded in our lawyers for bench vises.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ok, that was funny, but for other reasons.

like your use of "social awareness". this is america: land of the corpulent. home of the egotesticle.

i think we'll turn the corner if we traded in our lawyers for bench vises.
I've never had a lawyer but just bought the largest bench vice I could find. Best purchase ever. I spend hours crushing random things and seeing how many times I can fold a penny. It truly is the path to enlightenment.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Sorry about that. Perhaps you should sign up for some ESL classes and get back to me when you can state what you really meant more clearly. I'm sure someone would be really happy to have you as a lab partner.
If I were you I'd quit now while you're still just a clueless idiot. It's painful to see you flounder about here, hopelessly out of your depth. Surprisingly in this forum, most of us know what we're talking about. You are a glaring exception. I suggest giving this forum a miss as it may impair your :monkey: experience.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Apparently JD is checking into the legalties or otherwise of the situation.
Come on JD pull ya finger out mate, anyone would think you have something better to do.:disgust1::busted:;)
I added it to the post.

Link to US Code on the Cornell Law School website

TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > § 7

§ 7. Position and manner of display
(g) When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
If I were you I'd quit now while you're still just a clueless idiot. It's painful to see you flounder about here, hopelessly out of your depth. Surprisingly in this forum, most of us know what we're talking about. You are a glaring exception. I suggest giving this forum a miss as it may impair your :monkey: experience.
You're not going to give up on me now are you? That's so selfish of you. :(

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Back on topic...

I think the vet acted with a hot head and the situation would have been handled better if he had first asked the store owner to take it down himself. BTW, I do think the store owner knew what he was doing when he put the flags up.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I added it to the post.

Link to US Code on the Cornell Law School website

TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > § 7

§ 7. Position and manner of display
(g) When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.
Interesting. I'd bet that at least one of those "laws" are broken pretty much every time the flag is flown by a non-government group or individual. Obviously you'd expect the government/military etc to know those protocols but I'd reckon it's unreasonable to expect every immigrant to have memorised that code.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Back on topic...

I think the vet acted with a hot head and the situation would have been handled better if he had first asked the store owner to take it down himself. BTW, I do think the store owner knew what he was doing when he put the flags up.
Here's an idea:

"Who the motherfvck cares? It's just a goddamned flag."

And follow up post by some "great American":

"THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WITH TEH CUNTRY THESE DAYZ!!111 NOBODY CAREZ!!11!"

:disgust1:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I bet you people have complained, and the store owner did nothing.

I doubt he was trying to make a political statement, but considering all that happened was his flag took a walk, who cares?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The funny thing about this, is the guy WAS flying the American flag and I would bet it was out of pride.

All you "patriots" never would've noticed if the only flag he was flying was the Mexican one...

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Good thing there is this law.--Otherwise the Mexican flag or Islamic,etc would be flown over the American flag everywhere ;& any US citizen shouldn't tolerate that.

Title 1, Section 4 governs the display of the flag, and section 7(g) states the following:When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace. The order of precedence for flags generally is National flags (US first, then others in alphabetical order in English), State (host state first, then others in the order of admission) and territories (Washington DC, Puerto Rico, etc.), Military (in order of establishment: Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard), then other

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
The funny thing about this, is the guy WAS flying the American flag and I would bet it was out of pride.

All you "patriots" never would've noticed if the only flag he was flying was the Mexican one...
True,i would have thought it was some Mexican restaurant or ethnic grocery store.
But it's very noticeable flying over the American flag like that!.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So, we've established that you're clearly not a law and order type of person.

What would have made this story amazingly awesome is if the shop owner had shot the guy trespassing and vandalizing his property.