Quantcast

My New Mob

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I finally got my new Mob built and wanted to share. Its your typical SS dirtjumper, but I wanted to share my rr hub setup. I was running a Ringle Abah RR hub and wanted to switch it to SS. I got a Gusset conversion with a 12T cog which is very slick and solid. I replaced the QR axle for a bolt on model and ordered some "Swoopy Bolts". The whole thing cost me about $80, maybe a bit less, but it was less then getting a new SS cassette wheel. That might be in the future, but for now this works awesome.

Other parts...

RS Pike 454
Profile cranks with a Tree 25t
Thompson post and stem
RF bar
Avid BB7 brake with Speeddial lever

I really struggled with the brake. I am a bmxer and love a subtle brake like my 990's. I originally put on a Juicy 5 and hated how much it grabbed, good brake, just to much power. I switched to this new set-up and love it.

Anyway, enjoy.

Attachments

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
bravo, very nice :clapping:

I run the Deore LX levers and they have a power adjuster on it. Low gives it a nice long "feel" pull and High is the instant on/off feel. If you still need more of a feel give those a try.

Urban Bandit

Chimp
Aug 20, 2007
that bike is so nice looking!

im struggling, trying to finish my mob on a budget.
wont look nearly anything like that for a while tho!

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
bravo, very nice :clapping:

I run the Deore LX levers and they have a power adjuster on it. Low gives it a nice long "feel" pull and High is the instant on/off feel. If you still need more of a feel give those a try.
Avid perfected that. It's called Speed dial. Like what he already has.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
why would anyone want brake levers with adjust ability on them that just makes your brakes feel bad. stupidest thing for bikes for sure. i owned them, set them how i liked and never changed it.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
How you like your Pike?

I believe I'll be ordering the rest of the parts I need for my Pimp2 build this Saturday. And a Pike 426 was on my list, is the 454 worth the extra $50?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I don't know for sure the differences, maybe just an AL steerer. I have the coil spring version and I dig it. Try shopping around, Colorado Cyclist had some for cheap, Beyond knocked $100 off mine (or they quoted that and I had a buddy who works at a shop get me the same price). Actually, that friend has the air version and he beats the poo out of it, I just like the security of something holding me up.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I don't know for sure the differences, maybe just an AL steerer. I have the coil spring version and I dig it. Try shopping around, Colorado Cyclist had some for cheap, Beyond knocked $100 off mine (or they quoted that and I had a buddy who works at a shop get me the same price). Actually, that friend has the air version and he beats the poo out of it, I just like the security of something holding me up.
I work at a shop, so no worries on prices.

and yeah I just remembered its the hollow steerer compared to the solid.

thanks.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
is that a 100mm travel fork or an 80mm ? it looks a little lower than usual . . . .

also which tt length did you get ? i am thinking if i got a MOB it would be the longest one, the 22.5" .

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I have the fork slammed to 80mm, which seems real good for me. I also have the 22" TT. Not really sure how I feel about that right now because I can't do X-ups without decapitating my toes. Its not even a little scrub, it really can't pass. I'm debating about 165 cranks (I have 175's) but I imagine that exrta half inch would have maybe been good.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
I used to be. I moved to NC from Kenosha about 20 months ago. Do you remember Janesville BMX?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
That chain almost HAS to be riding on the spacers. I have a 12, and I machined my own spacers because even normal cassette spacers were too thick.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
No, the track was a little before I started riding, but I was just telling my wife how the public gardens used to be a local track, makes me sad. You should have some good stuff to ride out in your area.

As for the Swoopy bolts, John Wells at Ringle CAN get them for you, but he prefers to go through a shop (which is what I did).

And chain rub, I have a KMC premium chain and honestly it doesn't really rub. I have a half link in there that is a little bigger, but everything else clears. I really like that little kit (though I think I should still be down a tooth or so in the back).

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
sick bike, and those gusset double six things are pretty cool the way they recess inwards towards the cog, for better chain clearance.

I have a kmc 710sl waiting to try....

you still feel like you are spinning out to easy on the 25/12? Does it allow you to slam the wheel?

I'm thinkin about going that route, currently running 32/15

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Like anything it depends on what your riding. I was on a BMX track last night and was spinning like crazy trying to clear 17 footers. If the trails are smooth and downhill, or a park, or street, it works fine, just not the best for last night.

As for slamming, yes, mine is as close as it can be and is a pain to pedal the chain off to get the rr wheel out. Half link chains are the direction I'm going to go next (Shadow probably).

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Just throwing this out there, anyone looking for a Mob? I really like it, don't get me wrong, but I ran into a kid at the skatepark with a Tonic last night and it really got me thinking. I like the smaller wheels, which I realize isn't for everyone, not to mention the ability to run a weaker brake. The bike has been ridden three times, twice on trails and once on a track. Nothing is wrong with it, its perfect actually. If anyone is interested let me know. I was thinking $5ish for frame, hs, and bbrkt. Brakes are for sale, and wheels. Sorry to spam, just throwing out a feeler. Thanks

http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=10158&cat=25

cully

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
Hey man, you should post the bike (or frame, or whatever you're selling ) up on www.chicagofreeride.net see if any local heads would be interested. and you should hit us up some time if you're down in chi-town, we also head up to 4 seasons pretty often so maybe I'll see you up there some day.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Thanks for the heads up. I'm at FourSeasons, Madison every Tuesday pretty much. I'm looking for more guys that ride, everyone seems to be fading lately. Hit me up, it would be fun to see what you guys have in your direction as well.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
No idea who the guy was. It was an older style FG, grey, with a goldenrod colored manitou fork (I think). He was rolling into the park about 8ish. He said he had had it a while, and his serial number was low.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
first off nice bike man! I really like the mobs and you have a great parts spec.

But I gotta tellyou watch out for thta stem. It doesn't have a lot of clamping force on the steerer tube. I speak from experience... it will twist on you durning hard cornering especially hard street riding where you miss and hit a curb or something off center. The bars and stem will twist and spin and down you go.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
were you able to use the stock 5 3/4" spindle or did you have to go to the 6" spindle? (b.b./cranks) what b.b. did you use?