Quantcast

My New Morewood Build

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So I picked up a used 2008 Morewood Izimu a couple weeks ago and have been building it up lately. I finished it about a week or so and have ridden it a handful of times so far. Coming off an SX Trail that just didn't really suit my riding style, I really like this thing so far. It's small enough to throw around, but the extra travel is there when I need it. I still need to work on my cornering and technique after not really having owned a real DH bike in over a year, but so far I'm really stoked on this thing.

Specs are all pretty obvious, but the basics are:

-2008 Morewood Izimu, large, raw
-2006 Boxxer Team, X-soft spring, RUFUS decals
-Fox DHX 5.0 w/ Obtainium Ti spring, 300#
-SLX 170mm cranks
-e13 LG-1
-e13 Guidering, 36t
-X0 shifter/X9 derailleur
-Dura-ace chain
-SLX 11-28 cassette
-DT Swiss 5.1s on Hope Pro IIs, DT Competition butted spokes, 32h
-Spank Spike 777 bars, 30mm rise
-Point1 stem, 31.8mm
-Elixir CRs, 8"/6"
-Specialized Clutch SX tires
-XC tubes

I still am waiting for my MG-1s (I will get Point1 pedals when they come out), and I still need to cut my steerer and do a couple other little things. I will also get some 2-ply tires and run them tubeless once/if I get my trailbike for local stuff, but so far, these things are nice for the trails I'm riding right now. I'm still considering polishing it, and I will eventually have a set of gold Morewood decals for it to match the fork.

Anyways, here's what everyone wants to see:

Oh, and for all the weenies, weight sits at 35.5 pounds per my digi scale and multiple measurings. And no, I'm not gonna post a pic of it on a scale. :D I'm really happy with that considering it's coil-sprung, with nothing really weight weenie besides the tires.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well I'm light (150) and I try to be smooth when I can, but once I get some slightly heavier tires on it, there really won't be anything that isn't full-on DH.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Looks great man.

What are your impressions of the Spanks? I wanted some really bad, but everyone ran out so I got some Chromag Fubar OSX's... I really like them. (Thinking of getting another set for my SS.)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Haha, I wanted Chromags but got Spanks since they were out of the Chromags I wanted (low rise/black)!

They feel great so far though! I think they would be better for an 8" fork if they were a tad lower though, like 20mm rise. I like them better than the Sunlines I had due to their width.

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
Did you get the frame sandblasted or did you use a chemical wash? And polish that ****! There's a guy from Utah that has an Izimu polished and that thing looked amazing.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
very sharp! i was thinking of paint stripping my izimu too. did u think of putting a clear coat after the strip? the AL oxidizes could create different results

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
very sharp! i was thinking of paint stripping my izimu too. did u think of putting a clear coat after the strip? the AL oxidizes could create different results
I thought about it, but I think that I will either just leave it raw until I decide to paint it (if that ever happens) or polish it, then clearcoat it.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Very nice bike. Last race I was at I was checking out a couple of them. I'm currently on a Sunday but really like the idea of just how simple the Morewoods are. Great build for a lighter guy. Congrats.

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
How does it feel with the x-soft on the front and 300lb on the rear?

I'm running a soft on the front of mine with the same shock spring and I'm thinking of going to a 325 or 350 on the back. Does yours feel balanced?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It feels balanced to me right now, and I have even been playing with less LSC than I would normally run.

I'm pretty surprised how soft I can run this thing, although I haven't had the chance to get it out on faster/bigger trails yet.

I weigh pretty much 150# on the dot and so far it feels good, although I could see doing a 325# on the back with more LSC for rougher areas.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
It feels balanced to me right now, and I have even been playing with less LSC than I would normally run.

I'm pretty surprised how soft I can run this thing, although I haven't had the chance to get it out on faster/bigger trails yet.

I weigh pretty much 150# on the dot and so far it feels good, although I could see doing a 325# on the back with more LSC for rougher areas.
If you still are playing around with the settings, I can tell you what worked for me. I played around with different spring rates, and changed my setup between the most forward hole, and the middle hole.
Now first off, I have ALWAYS loved low and slack bikes, and have been riding them since my M1 in 2000.
But what I found on the Izimu really surprised me.
I feel the bike rides way better in the middle position combined with running a soft rear spring with lots of sag. This setup keeps my weight centered which really helps in the corners, and it also gives that bike its "load up and pop out of corners" feel. Its still slack enough for the steeps and feels spot on now.
Also, I originally tried the middle position with a 50# heavier spring, but it did not have enough give. For me it was all about getting the spring rate right.
I am running a 300# spring on my double barrel and that's with the light tune.
I weigh 177, and I still have not felt a harsh bottom out yet I am using all of the travel.