Quantcast

My new Reign X

manitouman28

Chimp
Jul 1, 2005
Spencer, MA
Since today was very rainy and such, I decided it would be a good day to build my new Reign X.

Big thanks to Beau and the fellas at Norwood Bicycle Depot!

All that needs to be done now is cut down the seatpost a bit and get some derailleur cable and housing. Then she'll be ready to rock.

I plan on swapping out some parts over the winter, to help lighten it up a bit.

Tell me whatcha think... I think Im going to love it.

manitouman28

Chimp
Jul 1, 2005
Spencer, MA
heres a spec list of most of the bike:

frame- 07 giant reign x w/ dhx 3.0
fork- manitou sherman firefly
headset- fsa zero stack (included with frame brand new from giant)
stem- Sic LL
bars- white deity
brakes- shimano deore hydros (surprisingly good and easy to maintain)
post- thomson elite
seat- azonic hot seat
wheels- atomlab aircorps
tires- michelin comp 16? 2.5 rear
maxxis minion 2.7 front
cranks- white deity
pedals- atomlab trailkings

that pretty much sums up the whole build.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Nice bike, i can't wait for a ride report since i'm torn between the ReignX and the new Glory. Is the Sherman you are running shorter than the stock Fox forks? Just wondering since some people complained about the head angle being to steep, so i'd be interested in hearing how you like the geometry and what kind of stuff you ride.

Cheers,

Sandro

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Agree: the shimano deore hydro's are totally underated.

If you want to improve performance and drop weight, swap those tires. Either switch them end for end.. sticky should be in front. Or, preferably, run 2.5 maxxis w/ either a 2.5/2.35 maxxis rear or a 2.2 Michelin.
The 2.2 Michi is actually a hair bigger than the 2.5 maxxis.
The 2.5's actually corner better than the 2.7's.

I've been eyeballing that frame too. Mind if I ask how much?

*edit* cables will dramatically improve performance as well ;)

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
dude thats a all mtn bike, not a huck bike. maybe a 4x bike. please be careful....
The "X" series has 6.75" of travel. I'd consider it am/dh/heavy trail.
Similar to the Enduro SX Trail that many consider huck, freeride, jump, dh, whatever.

*edit* I have to agree though, steel cranks are waaay to much for pretty much everything but free-hucking and heavy dj/street.

manitouman28

Chimp
Jul 1, 2005
Spencer, MA
hey thanks for the comments.

I do plan on swapping out some parts over the winter to lighten it up a bit.
Those are deity cranks which are 170mm.
The frame is more than strong enough for what I'll be using it for... AM type stuff with some jumping and hucking, I have a demo 8 which I'll be using for the big hucks and downhilling and such.
I plan to swap out those tires for a 2.35 minion front and 2.35 highroller rear.
I also plan on getting rid of the deity stuff, in favor of some XT cranks and some lighter bars with maybe a little less rise.

possibly some other lighter parts.

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
Nice bike, i can't wait for a ride report since i'm torn between the ReignX and the new Glory. Is the Sherman you are running shorter than the stock Fox forks? Just wondering since some people complained about the head angle being to steep, so i'd be interested in hearing how you like the geometry and what kind of stuff you ride.

Cheers,

Sandro
the X has around a 67 HA...the older Reign was more steep ( 69 or so). I had an 05 Reign and now have an X and the HA on the X definately isnt anything I would consider too steep.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yeah, you can lose an instant 3 pounds by going to ANY other crankset over a spindle/cromo set. And those bars SUCK SACK. Take them off. Right now. And sell them to me. Cheap.
FYI, In January, Eric(Deity) is releasing a sicky DH/FR saddle...lighter and tighter. Would like to see him come up with a lighter crankset, but not sure what he'd use...

livingplasma

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Not to take away from your fanfare, but it seems kinda pointless to make exactly the same post when we can look at our hot bikes in the same thread :cheers: Just finished mine yesterday! Similar to yours but mine's a small frame (16"), 06 Fox 36 Vanilla R (upgraded with RC2 damper cartridge), Thomson X4 stem, Saint brakes, Specialized Telluride saddle, Hugi FR hubs with EX 5.1 rims, Kenda 2.35" Nevagal Stick-E DH casing rear, Kenda 2.5" Blue Groove Stick-E, '07 X-9 rear deraileur, '07 X-7 shifters, XT Cranks, XT front derailleur, XT 11-34 cassette, Tioga SF-MX pedals. 35.41 lbs before I had trimmed the bars and steerer :biggrin:

Attachments

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Yes. I consider it in the exact same catagory as my enduro SX trail.

Mini dh-bike that can climb and jump.

And the "X" series (probably stands for X-Treme => HARDCORE!) fixed all my complaints about the std reign. Funny sizing, high bb, steep head angle.

And, FYI, the reign x1 comes with coil susp. The 36 vanilla feels just like a full dh fork. Not quite the depth of travel, but far more capable than your average 7" fork of a few years ago.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
man people are so stupid about the weight of deity cranks and bb's. they weight LESS than saint or race face diabolous or how ever the hell you spell them. with a ti bb and bolts your looking at xt weight

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
man people are so stupid about the weight of deity cranks and bb's. they weight LESS than saint or race face diabolous or how ever the hell you spell them. with a ti bb and bolts your looking at xt weight
I've heard this before and always took it with a grain of salt. Your statement made me actually research it, and I was surprised by what I found.

Deity crank/bb + chainring = 1052g
- (I have no idea how much a ti spindle cuts off or how $)

RF Diablous = 1197g

Truvative Holzfellers + gigapipe bb = 1140g
+ giga ti bb = 995g

Saint's = 1124g

XT (with 3 chainrings) = 860g

I was surprised to find that the (claimed) deity weight is significanlty less than all three dominant dh cranksets even with the steel spindle. I imagine a ti spindle could cut another 110g (1/4lb) off that.

The deity's are still significantly heavier than XT's though. (much stonger though).

I was honestly expecting to throw this back because the holz's could use a ti bb too. But, found matching steel to steel still netted deities as lighter.

Anybody know if Deity makes a bb for a 83mm shell?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Deity lists the cranks without any ring as 2.3 lbs or 1044g. Their own sprocket is 140g, so a total of 1184g is what I come up with..with one ring.

Saints seem to be listed at different weights at different supliers, but everyone shows the two ring with bash at 1124g. Single ring (equivalent to the Deity) would obviously be lighter.

XTs are WAY lighter, IIRC mine were in the high 700s with a single ring.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
a ti spindle cuts a ton of weight. also the diety chainwheel is heavy (unless you machine it out or get the new lighter ones) an e13 spider with an ali ring weights next to nothing. thing i love about the deity cranks and bb is that they can fit on any and every bike from bmx race frames, to 4x hardtails to 100mm bb downhill bikes, all just by swapping out the axle. spacing can be dialed so perfectly with the spacers

manitouman28

Chimp
Jul 1, 2005
Spencer, MA
The deitys have been awesome cranks. I havent had a single issue with them, and they havent even started creeking like most other cranks Ive ran. I also have a set of saints and I couldnt notice a difference in weight just by holding them.
The only reason I want to ditch the deity cranks is to save weight and the next best option seem to be XTs.

What do you guys think would be a nice lighter upgrade in bars from the deitys that Im currently running? I have some protapers kicking around somewhere that I may put on, they feel like awesome bars and seem very light.

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
The deitys have been awesome cranks. I havent had a single issue with them, and they havent even started creeking like most other cranks Ive ran. I also have a set of saints and I couldnt notice a difference in weight just by holding them.
The only reason I want to ditch the deity cranks is to save weight and the next best option seem to be XTs.

What do you guys think would be a nice lighter upgrade in bars from the deitys that Im currently running? I have some protapers kicking around somewhere that I may put on, they feel like awesome bars and seem very light.
I'm a big fan of protapers , the set on my DH bike have lasted a few seasons now. I love the sweep / rise and the weight is a bonus. Theres my vote.

Nice Reign too mate.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet

Geez! What a meanie! You coulda hurt my feeling or something if I was like 9!

For some reason, I SWEAR I pulled my cromo arms off did a few other insignifigant things and lost an even 3 pounds. What I'm wondering now though, is if I swapped out the 4mm thornless tubes at the same time, which weigh like 2 pounds each.
That's cool that cromo cranksets are infact lighter than a Saint/Diabolus setup. I had the first version of the Deitys and liked em, but just kept trashing the stupid spindles. Never tried a Ti version, as I've still heard of them bending, I just know that they are lighter.