Quantcast

My new ride and its first test will be in whistler

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
well its the bike of my dreams really, here is the specs:

Frame: 06 turner DHR (thank you guys at turner)
fork: 06 boxxer wc with E13 direct mount stem
F. Wheel:black 823 laced to black hadley hub and a michy 24
R. wheel: black 823 laced to black hadley 135mm 12mm hub and a michy 24 (love the sound it makes and thank you guys at go-ride, running both tubeless)
R. Der. and shifter: shimano xt
handlebars: answer protaper
cranks/guide: Hone cranks, E13 SRS with E13 38t chainring
pedals: azonic a frame
brakes: shimano saints (next season this will change to puro from formula)
saddle and post: the amazing SDG I beam system, i am loving it (SL saddle + aluminum post, thank you guys at SDG)

Total weight: 41 lbs

pics, will try to get better ones later:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Looks pretty good. It'll sure feel a hell of a lot different than you Kona! That thing was so tall, this thing'll be way better and lower.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i will hopefully get it out on a local trail before whistler, but it will be hard to get time in between my job and everything else i am doing to prepare for the trip, but just pedaling the thing around its an amazing bike makes my kona feel like a toy.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sick bike. Have fun. I own the same (with an 888) set up and it has been great.

One thing you should know, the shock reducers (they are aluminum) will wear the bushings in your shock very fast... 1-2 days and then you will have slop in the shock mount. As soon as possible, get either fox, push, or progressive 1 piece stainless steel reducer hardware for the shock and the all will be bulit proof.

Oh yea, keep some pressure in those tires, there are some sneeker (big) rocks here and there at Whistler that like to kill wheels when you leas expect it.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I got my progressive ones through (BTI bike dist). I just checked and they are out of stock of the size that you need (6mm X 22mm). I think that retail was about $14 per shock end. Other than that, I do not know...I know Push make some, and I have heard that fox does as well (called heavy duty or DH reducers I think...)

zmtber said:
yeah!, how much do those cost^^, and how easy is it to get them

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
SteezyWeezy said:
looks like sex on a bike. how do the hone's feel? pretty stiff?
stiff enough for me, i would recommend them to someone who want light er cranks that can still take a good amount of abuse

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
davep said:
I got my progressive ones through (BTI bike dist). I just checked and they are out of stock of the size that you need (6mm X 22mm). I think that retail was about $14 per shock end. Other than that, I do not know...I know Push make some, and I have heard that fox does as well (called heavy duty or DH reducers I think...)
okay thanks i look into that this week

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Nice lookin' ride man... The blue/black/white color scheme looks pretty cool.

I was just wondering: so you're running tubeless - how much do you weigh, and are you going to race it tubeless?

I'm still debating whether or not to go UST myself for next year...:think:

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
I weigh around 170, and race and do everything tubless, when i had my deemax setup tubeless i took my bike out for a few months without replacing a tube, or i should Say putting a tube in once, what i recommend you do if you are really afraid of flatting is get a tubeless tire and on top of that run stanz or some kind of sealant as well.

the thing is pinch flats are more common here than anything else with the rocky trails, and that where i feel running tubeless comes in handy the most.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Watch those wheels at Whistler, I was running tubless (823's with Maxxis Highroller UST). The tires don't have a stiff enough sidewall for some of the trails up there and the rims are not up to the job. The nipple inserts loosen themselves off pretty good and my rim deformed around that area. I've just built myself a new rear wheel (721 rim, lighter than an 823) and am running a Big Earl tire (lighter than a Maxxis UST with a stiffer sidewall. All in I think the weight difference between the two is minimal and hopefully this combo will hold up better. I was fed up with the tires burping and loosing pressure up in the Garbanzo area.

If you're light maybe it'll be different for you, but at 6'2" and 200lbs I'm not exactly 'gentle'. :)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I am 6' an 190# and have run tubless for the past 3+ years without any problem at all. I have had a seasons pass and a free place to stay @ whister for all this time so I ride up there a fair bit (not nearly as much as locals, but many 10 day stays). Mavic 729's and Mich tires w/ stans. No loss of pressure no burping no folding ever...Only prob that i ever had was an 8" granite block that i hit at ~40mph on the access road down from garbo when that was the only way down. Blew both tires w/ 1.5 inch tears and destroyed both rims in less that a second. No wheel whould have held up...

As I said before, just run some good pressure in the tires on those skinny rims for insurance.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Yep, I think running std rims with Stan's is the way to go if you want to DH with a tubeless set up. If I can easily get hold of a rim strip then I might well give it a go again. However for me... the 823/Maxxis UST combo was not a winner.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah thanks, how often do you guys grease up the bushings on these bikes?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Sick bike. I got my DHR right before I went to Whistler last year too, it's quite the place to break stuff in or just plain break it. You'll be amazed at how a real DH bike feels, especially after your Kona.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
wow i keep hearing how my bike will be turned to shreads up there, and i feel kinda sketched out now, i just got done dropping major $$$ on this bike, really don't want to end up loosing it all!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Don't worry about it, your bike will take anything that you can throw at it. It is just that you can ride SO much up there in such a short time. You can get in atleast a dozen runs in one day (some up to 20 min of rippin DH). I would say that the average day up there is equal saddle time to a month of the average riding at home. Just stay on top of it, it is a new bike and there is bound to be something that got overlooked or will need tightening etc. The garbanzo bike and bean has tools that you can borrow if you need.

In response to your last question about the shock bushings...in my opinion, they should NOT be lubed at all. The bushings are lined with a slippery plastic and requires no grease. In fact, any lube will attract dust that will in turn wear the bushings faster. (search 'Garlock DU bushings' on google for more info)

zmtber said:
wow i keep hearing how my bike will be turned to shreads up there, and i feel kinda sketched out now, i just got done dropping major $$$ on this bike, really don't want to end up loosing it all!

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
zmtber said:
so the grease ports when do you use them?
I put new grease in them maybe once a month, actually I've skipped the last few months and the bike is still ok.

Whistler won't destroy your bike, just wear it in. My DHR is still running fine a year after Whistler with minimal maintainance, only now am I getting some play in the suspension.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
black noise said:
I put new grease in them maybe once a month, actually I've skipped the last few months and the bike is still ok.

Whistler won't destroy your bike, just wear it in. My DHR is still running fine a year after Whistler with minimal maintainance, only now am I getting some play in the suspension.
thank you, that calms my nerves.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
maddogdh said:
Wow! Thankyou for the sweet pic. I want to powder coat mine and I just found the colour. 2 inch Pro Tapers?
YEAH IT IS A SWEET COLOR, I MADE IT A PAIN TO GET IT THE RIGHT ONE, BUT HEY IT TURNED OUT GREAT IN THE END, GO TO OLYMPICPOWDERCOATING, AND YEAH THEY ARE 2" PRO TAPERS

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
zmtber said:
so the grease ports when do you use them?
As other have said, about once a month, I would do it after riding in the rain or washing the bike as well. The one that attaches to the swing arm kind of sits in a little pocket and it definately collects stuff (dust) in there and then if it is wet, the water kind of pools in there submerging the bearing. I let mine go last year (with lots of rain riding @ whistler) and the roller bearing at that spot was shot ($5 to fix and available at any bearing supply place or through turner). Can't hurt to do more often than not, and it only takes two minutes.

So did turner do that color for you, or did yo have it done after purchace? It turned out great! I think next year I might need to change mine from black to ..??..

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah i got it from turner as a rider thing, but i would recomending getting it done from the same people, wich is www.olympicpowdercoating.com, check out their paint (if you send it to turner this is where they'd take it)