Quantcast

My new ride is going to be sweet!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by indieboy
yeah the old one like an 02 or an 03. you can probably just find an 02 for much cheaper though through someone.
and i'm sure we can work something out to get you some thomson stuff dude.
I'm sure you could it's just I would have to pay full price when i could find something almost equal to at dealer price.;)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
I'm sure you could it's just I would have to pay full price when i could find something almost equal to at dealer price.;)
nothing equals there posts. there are a lot of awesome stems out there though. stem wise go w/ a ritchey wcs......

Devoracer77

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Bend, Or
I know but they're both alot lighter. I like the remote lock-out of the Sid. I weigh about 160 so should I go with the Sid Team?
The remote lockout is the best thing you could ever possibly have on your bike. Get the sid. Its awesome. They can be kinda high maintanence, but its really worth it.

Devoracer77

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Bend, Or
Originally posted by indieboy
is cane creek one of your sponsors? b/c ifthey are then use their headset but if they aren't get a deal on the king dude. everything sounds good cept the xtr front. get one of the 02's w/ out the parrel push (just the regular cage) for supah cheap. thomson stem n seatpost and an easton carbon bar.
I dunno man. The new XTR front.'s are sick. They are way stiffer, and if you look at it, you'll notice that the cage is adjustible to fine tune the shifting performance based on your individual bike. The e-type fronts can be really good too if you find someone who knows how to set them up. They prevent you from dropping your chain too.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I think I'll get the XTR crankset cause the price is good but I'm deffinetly not getting Marta Sl brakes holy crap they would cost me $800.00 canadian that's like the rpice of my Ti frame.:eek: whats a cheaper but still light weight option I need to decide before Oct 10 and I can get better deals.

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
formula B4sl, they should both be cheaper and lighter. Or maybe just the magura marta, it's only 7 grams heavier than the sl. Or maybe even wait for the new hopes, mini mono, or the avid juicy. The avid juicy are on mountian bike's top products of 03 even though they aren't out yet, so they must be great(sarcasm).

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by novice
formula B4sl, they should both be cheaper and lighter. Or maybe just the magura marta, it's only 7 grams heavier than the sl. Or maybe even wait for the new hopes, mini mono, or the avid juicy. The avid juicy are on mountian bike's top products of 03 even though they aren't out yet, so they must be great(sarcasm).
I tried the juicys at sea otter and they were amasing but I think they cost alot to. I can't get Hope here or I could order them from the US. I look into formula.

Ya why is the remote lockout so much better? The Sid team will cost me 240$ more than a skareb super and from what i here the skareb is better anyway.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya formula looks good I'll find out the price tomorrow. Do I need disks anyway? It's muddy at at least half my races but lots of people still use V's. Are V's and better components in the drivetrain better or disks and cheaper other components?

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
If the mud is those that packs like pancake, i say get disk and cheaper component. 2004 XT is cheap and only gains slight weight from XTR.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
In my opinion disks are the only way to go - 6" will do fine for XC conditions - I am opposed to addional rotational weight in general but a good wheel build will help you offset the weight.

Plus you can really bang the crap out of disk wheel and still wobble your way to the end of the race with a badly out of true rim.

I have not heard that a scarab is better than a sid but I am not convinced that a lock-out is needed. Just one more thing that might go bust in a race - unnessasary chi chi - the money can be better spent elsewhere.

Devoracer77

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Bend, Or
The remote lockout is nice jsut cause you use the benifits of a lockout much more because its righ thtere on your handle bar. I personally set mine up opposite to what most have it as, where its on the right side of my handlebar, underneath. You can also use the lockout while standing up. Lockouts are a must have for any serious cross country racer, or even serious trail rider. The benifits are enourmas for efficiency.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
lockout is bull****.

just pump your fork up hard enough so it doesn't bob. sids are flexy enough that they soak up enough trail shock for me.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
One of the Velonews writters went to an NCS event, stuck himself on the course at a spot where riders would be most likely to use the lockout, actually I think it was at the top of a climb where they'd be turning the lockout off. Very few riders were doing it as he could see the forks were functioning. He spoke with a number of riders too and they all said in the heat of a race they usually forgot about the lockout. That's one reason to not get a lame remote lockout switch. The only time a fork will bob a lot is when you stand up and hammer. If the fork is bobbing while you're seated, you need to work on your technique. How much time do you spend standing in a race and how often do you sprint? The new stable platform forks and rear shocks are a much better answer to the whole bob issue. http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/4049.0.html

Disc brakes. There is no good reason for an off road race bike to use rim brakes anymore. Very minor weight penalty versus consistant braking and less time doing maintainance if you get hydraulic brakes.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by Devoracer77
Go to NCS race, and try and find a Pro w/o a lockout. Everyone who can, uses them. Why not use them?
I just want to point out that quite a few pros who have moved on in the lockout age never used em. Martinez Pezzo and Rasmussen come to mind. lockout is added weight and complexity. The old pre-lockout damping cartridges are significantly lighter, and with no "pure tube" to **** up they almost never get stuck locked out.

I've been to many many many ncs and WC races, from before suspension let alone lockout was common.

Pro's have lockout on their bikes because that is what Manitou and Rockshox sell on their high end forks. Air pressure that is low enough to allow appreciable bobbing seems like an issue of poor setup to me. it's a race bike and not a bloody trail bike.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok well I think it's just stupid to say that racers need lockout I like it sometimes on certain climbs when and only when I get out of my seat and sprint I don't think I need remote lock out.

Devoracer77

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Bend, Or
Dunlap said her self that if you don't have a lockout on your bike at the start of a race, your not going to get the holeshot. At elite levels everyone is so close in fitness and performance that little details like a lock out are important. The weight of a lock out doesn't slow you down nearly as much as no lock out at all would. This is just my opinion of course, and all the pros that I know and talk to all think lockouts are important to a competent race bike.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Dunlap said her self that if you don't have a lockout on your bike at the start of a race, your not going to get the holeshot. At elite levels everyone is so close in fitness and performance that little details like a lock out are important. The weight of a lock out doesn't slow you down nearly as much as no lock out at all would. This is just my opinion of course, and all the pros that I know and talk to all think lockouts are important to a competent race bike.
I'm not trying to say lockout isn't good I have to have lockout myself but I just don't think I need it on the handlebar, It would be better but also 250$ more.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
The remote lockout is nice jsut cause you use the benifits of a lockout much more because its righ thtere on your handle bar. I personally set mine up opposite to what most have it as, where its on the right side of my handlebar, underneath. You can also use the lockout while standing up. Lockouts are a must have for any serious cross country racer, or even serious trail rider. The benifits are enourmas for efficiency.
you're kidding right?

i have lockout on my sid, but i never use it, even for starts. i find that the time i spend turning it on cost more than it gains.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm not trying to say lockout isn't good I have to have lockout myself but I just don't think I need it on the handlebar, It would be better but also 250$ more.
Spend it on beer. Seriously, it's not going to matter that much. Why have suspension if you're not going to use it?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
But see, stable platform technolgoy, at least so far, is quite heavy, and not competitive with other XC race forks. Do you race?
Rear shocks like the 5th Element air weigh less than a comparable Fox Float. A lot of forks will have some form of it next year, Minute's, Fox propedal stuff and probably others soon. I just put a 5th Air on my Superlight. I'm still fussing with the pressures but there is zero movement under even standing pedaling. But it moves well once you hit something.

Devoracer77

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Bend, Or
Originally posted by NRSracer
you're kidding right?

i have lockout on my sid, but i never use it, even for starts. i find that the time i spend turning it on cost more than it gains.
i'm not kidding. And your probably really fast too at those starts, too. But on a long climb, even w/o the remote lockout, the 4 seconds it'll take to lockout your fork would easily be made up in the amount of time you gain on the climb. But if your secret to being fast is to not use a lockout, then thats what works i guess.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm with Devoracer...it DOES make a difference. I noticed this the most when watching a pro race this year. You can visible notice the difference between riders who do and don't lock out. Whether you can tell or not, power is lost when you are climbing, or even on the flats, and the front end is absorbing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Heidi
I'm with Devoracer...it DOES make a difference. I noticed this the most when watching a pro race this year. You can visible notice the difference between riders who do and don't lock out. Whether you can tell or not, power is lost when you are climbing, or even on the flats, and the front end is absorbing.
It also depends on the terrain you are racing on. Most of the races around here have technical rocky rooty climbs. You need that little bit of suspension then just as much as when going downhill. I have been to some events that have some fireroad type climbs but they are few and far between.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
i'm not kidding. And your probably really fast too at those starts, too. But on a long climb, even w/o the remote lockout, the 4 seconds it'll take to lockout your fork would easily be made up in the amount of time you gain on the climb. But if your secret to being fast is to not use a lockout, then thats what works i guess.
Who are you anyway? You seem to act like you know it all:p

Devoracer77

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Bend, Or
sorry if i came across that way. I just have raced and riden with some really good, knowledgable people. I just wanted to put my 10 cents in. I am a decent xc rider, so i kinda know what I'm doing. ahhaa...sorry if i came across that way

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Westy
It also depends on the terrain you are racing on. Most of the races around here have technical rocky rooty climbs. You need that little bit of suspension then just as much as when going downhill. I have been to some events that have some fireroad type climbs but they are few and far between.
Oh I totally agree. I just recently started experimenting with the lockout on the flats a lot too. I don't have a remote lockout though.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
So, if your were a junior racer with limited resources, would you drop $250.00 Canadian on a remote lockout mech or would you invest the $$$ in a higher zoot wheel build?

JMAC only has so much cash to throw around... way back when when I was a junior road racer (late 1970's) we always sunk our cash into the wheels and rubber - this was were you could get the best return for the money you had available. XC racing is a different animal but I still feel a strong and light wheel build will give a better return on your resources.

This is not to say that a remote lockout is not advantageous, it's just that most beginning racers simply cannot have it all.

Devoracer77

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Bend, Or
Well in that case, a lighter wheel/tire set up would be more advantagous. But its a very double edged sword. Cause if you go too light on tires, you'l flat too easily. Rotational weight is much more important than any other weight. But it really depends on where your racing and what your style is.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by Westy
yeah, what he said

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Originally posted by Serial Midget
So, if your were a junior racer with limited resources, would you drop $250.00 Canadian on a remote lockout mech or would you invest the $$$ in a higher zoot wheel build?

JMAC only has so much cash to throw around... way back when when I was a junior road racer (late 1970's) we always sunk our cash into the wheels and rubber - this was were you could get the best return for the money you had available. XC racing is a different animal but I still feel a strong and light wheel build will give a better return on your resources.

This is not to say that a remote lockout is not advantageous, it's just that most beginning racers simply cannot have it all.
So true.

I also benefited huge from better tires, wheels and Stan's (tubeless).

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Babar
So true.

I also benefited huge from better tires, wheels and Stan's (tubeless).
Well I'm planning on getting Cane Creek Zonos Ti team wheels they say that they weigh in at 1582g for the wheelset. How does that sound and I think I'm just going to get Avid single digit Ti v brakes, it's just for racing and it will save me loads of money and weight. I'm think to get XTR cranks or Truvativ Stylo Team with their Gigapipe Ti BB.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well I'm planning on getting Cane Creek Zonos Ti team wheels they say that they weigh in at 1582g for the wheelset. How does that sound and I think I'm just going to get Avid single digit Ti v brakes, it's just for racing and it will save me loads of money and weight. I'm think to get XTR cranks or Truvativ Stylo Team with their Gigapipe Ti BB.
I run the stylo's and like them. If I remember correctly they are actually lighter than the XTR combo when teamed up with a decent BB. They may not be quite as stiff but they are a hell of a lot cheaper.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Actuqally i save alot of money if i get an entire group set. The XTR disk groupo is only about 100grams lighter than the 2004 XT groupo. I think I'm just going to save money and get an XT disk groupo, Cane creek zonos Ti disk wheels, Manitou Skareb super, and a nice custom Ti frame.

Devoracer77

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Bend, Or
The Cane Creek wheels are really good. I crashed so so so hard at Mt snow, spent sometime in the hospital, and when i got back to the race course, i thought for sure my biek would be thrashed, especially the wheels cause i cased a waterbar trying to prehop it, and the wheels were fine. The freehub have gone out on some peoples wheels, but it hasn't happened to mine yet.