Quantcast

My new toy...

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
...got here today. Although I had to take the spring off of my 5th (it didn't come with one :think:...), I got her all installed.

It really is creepy - the only way I can describe the one brakeless, my-bike-is-mostly-assembled ride I did up and down the block is that it really made me think that I was riding with a Shiver up front and in the back. :drool:

The manual sucks balls, it's basically a disclaimer with a couple of pictures telling which way to turn the knobs. Other than that, I'm really looking forward to riding it this coming spring.

Attachments

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
ThePriceSeliger said:
Is that a E.13 back plate? It looks funky.
It is a Giant Chainguide that I dissected and made into something that kinda passes as a chainguide. It worked pretty well until the last race I was at; I think it finally gave up on me.

The wheel is good - I still haven't laced it up. It is sitting with my Mag30 as spare hoops. I'll probably lace it up to my Hadley eventually.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Brian Peterson said:
The shocks can be ordered with or without springs... Plus the 5th or Fox springs fit...

Brian

That's actually pretty cool for us hoarders. I think I've got three or four springs for my free, in 50lb increments.

Pretty sweet Radarr, looking forward to a more detailed report, I am thinking about a new shock for my free this spring...

Sep 10, 2001
It looks like a ROCO would fit judging by the pic on the Ventana site... Would need some mounting hardware for it since they spec the frame with a Romic... The Go-Ride guys could probably answer that question better than I could..

Brian

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Ok, thanks. One more question. Comparing to a DHX, if I don't use the propedal on my DHX much, would a Roco fell the same if not better? It's hard to find someone who has ridden both but I heard the DHX feels awesome.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Brian Peterson said:
The shocks can be ordered with or without springs... Plus the 5th or Fox springs fit...

Brian
Didn't know that. I guess you don't need to call me (Tony) back - I left a message for you asking about that earlier today. I guess I'll have to paint my spring.

In any case, Kings to Marzocchi. This thing kicks ass.

One question for you, though. What is the reccomended air pressure for the Roco? I put 75 psi in it just to be safe, and I looked through the manual, but couldn't seem to find anything.

Sep 10, 2001
Radarr said:
Didn't know that. I guess you don't need to call me (Tony) back - I left a message for you asking about that earlier today. I guess I'll have to paint my spring.

In any case, Kings to Marzocchi. This thing kicks ass.

One question for you, though. What is the reccomended air pressure for the Roco? I put 75 psi in it just to be safe, and I looked through the manual, but couldn't seem to find anything.
Between 160 and 220psi...

Brian

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
ThePriceSeliger said:
Ok, thanks. One more question. Comparing to a DHX, if I don't use the propedal on my DHX much, would a Roco fell the same if not better? It's hard to find someone who has ridden both but I heard the DHX feels awesome.
My old roommate had a DHX on his Free, and I spent a little time on it. It does feel really good. The only reason I opted for the Roco over the DHX is that I don't care too much about pedaling efficency, and my frame is supposed to take care of that, so I went with the fully active/no platform shock. That, and the red is cooler.

I can tell you, from the hour or so I've spend on the Roco riding around my house, it does bob more than the 5th I had on there earlier today. But it is about 100x better at absorbing small bumps.
Compared to the DHX with the propedal backed all the way out, though, they're similar. I'd say the biggest difference is that the fork (in my case, a Shiver) feels perfectly mated with the way the the rear shock behaves. It is like they were made for each other or something.

Imaging pushing on an Marzocchi fork then on a Fox fork. They both feel really good - so it's all about preference.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Brian Peterson said:
Between 160 and 220psi...

Brian

i read somewhere that the roco is sized similiarily to a 5th, any truth to this, do they fit stock 05 sundays, just curious, too broke to be serious

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Up against the 5th I pulled off this morning, the Roco is only a tiny bit bigger, and that's only the Piggyback. It is a tad bit longer (2-3mm), a little bit bigger in diameter, and it has the compression knob sticking out the back. Other than that, they're nearly identical in shape and size.

Arm@ndo

Chimp
Jul 27, 2005
Actually, if you don't mind, I'd be interested to hear your comments once tested, as I am gathering info before deciding on a shock for a Dare.
So far, I'm leaning towards the DHX but the Roco, although not a platform shock (yet), it has attractive features.

Thx !

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
^ I would get a DHX. ive riden one for a while now and they are sooo nice. although i dont know much about the roco, the DHX is gonna be hard to beat.