Quantcast

My new XC Bike

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
So I had a bottlerocket that I was using for All mtn riding, but after destroying a couple single ply tires, single ply tubes, I beefed it up a bit and coming in at 46lbs with a dual crown, I decided it was a bit too much for climbing.

So introducing my new XC bike! Damn thing still isn't light 36.75lbs

Tranny Preston 07 med w/ Fox DHX 5.0
Fox Talas 36RC2
Hadley 10mm rear 20mm front laced to Alex DS28
WTB Weirwolf 2.5 front Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 2.35 Rear
x7/x9 shifters
x7 rear derail
XT Cranks w/ e13 DRS
Hayes El Camino w/ Goodridge lines 8"
Sunline grips
Sunline All mtn 80mm stem
Sunline V-One .75" Riser bars

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
sick build. You shoulda made it lighter though. Try Continental Twister Supersonics with Maxxis Flyweight tubes. And a carbon bar because those things are indestructible (especially when jumping)

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
Those were the days......remember coming to and trying to breath with you standing over me and one end of my carbon bar dangling

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
Yea, when I was initially getting the frame was considering what I wanted to do with it. I guess I want it to take the place of my bottlerocket before it got too fat.

I was initially gonna just put a Float R on it but decided to swap to the dhx coil. Its ok the bike climbs well, I'm just gonna leave it the way it is. As for the brakes I pulled them straight off the bottle rocket and didn't have time to go dig up adaptors, but I may swap down to 6" in the rear if anything.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
Ah yes the good ol' days. Now you're riding bikes with much more travel, bigger tires (but not bigger rotors) and I'm riding with beginners. When are you thinking of heading to Mammoth?

pedalmunky

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Well-executed, no-nonsense build. Looks like it'll treat you right, man. i'm taking my Preston out for a trailride tomorrow - she rails singletrack.

pedalmunky

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
DCFC0043_2.jpg

I wanted her to be a light, capable trailbike I could take on a 4X track. Came in at about 32.5 lbs (using the ghetto bathroom scale method).

Small 07 frame with Roco TST R
Revelation 426 U turn
Atomlab rims/Real hubs with High Rollers (f) and Larsen TT (r)
Stylo cranks w/ Gamut chainguide/bash
X9 shifter/der
SDG I beam saddle/stpst
Raceface headset/stem
SIC bars
Hope bits for red ano bling

I'm real happy with her and look forward to years of treating her very badly. Heh.

pedalmunky

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Yeah, I'm not too much of a weight weenie myself. My method of determining claimed weight of the bike was picking it up and standing on a cheapo ten-dollar bathroom scale and then subtracting my body weight from that figure. Real scientific, I know.

On a different note, how d'ya like the Fox 36? Looks real good on the front - I woulda considered one if I didn't have a QR hub.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Sick Prestons! The first one is pretty close to exactly what I was going to build before I got a screaming deal on an '06 Coiler D complete.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Yea, when I was initially getting the frame was considering what I wanted to do with it. I guess I want it to take the place of my bottlerocket before it got too fat.

I was initially gonna just put a Float R on it but decided to swap to the dhx coil. Its ok the bike climbs well, I'm just gonna leave it the way it is. As for the brakes I pulled them straight off the bottle rocket and didn't have time to go dig up adaptors, but I may swap down to 6" in the rear if anything.
Do you actually have a Float R? If so send it away to Push, and you will probably never want to use the coil again and save yourself what? 2lbs? A more XC oriented wheelset will save you lots of weight was well.

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
I thought about keeping it lighter, but then if I wanted light I wouldnt have gone with the preston to begin with. The frame and shock came in at about 10.25lbs by itself. I'm not gonna be winning any XC races on it but it will still get up the hill.

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
yea sunline I got through the shop, I can get straitline too actually. I have a set of levers on my Saint brakes for the bottlerocket. Still need to get the setup bled.