Quantcast

My oldest part finally died

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
My eight year old DH cassette finally died. Came out of a corner hauling ass into a waterfall which had retaken the trail... so it was sloppy and about half a foot deep of flowing water. Downshifted quickly into the 26 tooth, drastically slowed so went to pedal and power through when Heard the most stranngest noise... like a twisting then a grindin and a pop. A chunk of the cassette litterally flew off and hit me in the ass cheek. Didnt find all the peices.

I will say though, eight years of abuse, six different bikes........ Sram DH cassettes are worth the money. Terribly enough, I lost the 26<obviously, the 24, and 23 are both damaged as well..

Hey its all good new parts are fun

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I've got an 11 ( almost 12 ) year old Marzocchi Z-1 Bam that technically still works. It has a damper rod that sticks, slight play in the bushings, and recently developed it's first oil leak. Ah the good ole days when Marzocchis were still made in Italy out of metal.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I've got an 11 ( almost 12 ) year old Marzocchi Z-1 Bam that technically still works. It has a damper rod that sticks, slight play in the bushings, and recently developed it's first oil leak. Ah the good ole days when Marzocchis were still made in Italy out of metal.
00' Z1 QR20 that still works.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
How the hell did it work and shift properly after 8 years? My oldest casette is 6 years old and I can easily say I should have changed it some time ago.

For oldest part - 1996 "limited edition" LX front der. Still works for some crazy reason though it was not used for 5 years. Rebuild my old 1996 XC HT I've bought in italy(well actualy my father bought it for me as I was 9 back then ;) ) with it on board. I don't have to say my orginal idea to use it as a commuter bike failed when I realised I've grown a bit since I was 9.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
How the hell did it work and shift properly after 8 years? My oldest casette is 6 years old and I can easily say I should have changed it some time ago.

For oldest part - 1996 "limited edition" LX front der. Still works for some crazy reason though it was not used for 5 years. Rebuild my old 1996 XC HT I've bought in italy(well actualy my father bought it for me as I was 9 back then ;) ) with it on board. I don't have to say my orginal idea to use it as a commuter bike failed when I realised I've grown a bit since I was 9.

http://www.parktool.com/product/chain-checker

One of these used every ride.....

Keep up with your chains, and the rest of your DT lives longer.
That and this was one of the prototype Sram DH specific cassettes........ One of the heavier versions.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
and the days you removed monstrous dents from a Monster T on Fred's bike. Still convinced you could make a living doing that.:thumb:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have some old parts, but none of them are on bikes at the moment. I have a Power Post (the big one) and a TWP chain tensioner. I also have some Shimano Airlines