Quantcast

My quest for the perfect bike (for me)

MX489

Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
Had a sunday, loved it except for smashing my pedals on everything but the cornering made up for it. Bearings were shot etc. so I sold it rather than rebuild it. I then bought an 06 morewood Izimu and I love how light it is but struggle with geometry and don't like how long it feels. I miss the short stays of my sunday, but I love not smashing my pedals on everything. I rode my buddy's bottlerocket at highland and absolutely LOVED it because it was so flickable, fun and short. However the Head angle is less than ideal for racing DH which is a large part of my riding. I race for my schools colliegate team and other series. In my mind I want a bottle rocket because of the fun factor, but I feel like it would severley handicap my race speed. What are some bikes I should be looking at. I guess I'm looking for a DH oriented bike, that doesnt feel like a limo but that is slack enough for the super steep courses we run.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If it is to be flickable go for low SP's. I'm looking for the same as you know. The bikes I'm looking at are Supreme dh 09, Morewood Makulu, Nicolai (dont remember the name) and Evil Revolt (or whatever the name of the proto is).

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Don't get a Bottlerocket for DH race unless you want to be slow and beat up. What about something line a Demo 7?

FWIW I don't feel like my '07 Izimu is really long. It feels a little longer than the Bottlerocket and Blindside that I've had this year but not to a point that makes it uncomfortable to ride. I actually feel like it's more flickable than the Blindside.

ridenorcal

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Gnar-Cal
I ride an 08 dhr and its a full blown dh bike that is still very lively and responsive on the trail. its pretty light (mine weighs in at 38.7 with a very solid build- no xc rims or single ply tires or any of that), raiiils corners, jumps well and is an effing blast to ride. turner is offering some great deals on the 08's and if you want to wait the new dw-link ones are kinda cool too i guess... :nerd:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
not when you run decent sag and a fork that is not 8ft tall (totem)
You can do that with any bike. I meant the static BB on their site. The bike has also only 7'' of travel so unsagged bb should be a bit lower than longer travel frames.

I'm not bashing the frame. Just ponting out it's rather far from the ideal if he went threw all those bikes mentioned.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
If it is to be flickable go for low SP's. I'm looking for the same as you know. The bikes I'm looking at are Supreme dh 09, Morewood Makulu, Nicolai (dont remember the name) and Evil Revolt (or whatever the name of the proto is).
The Nicolai is called ION.........

Only a handful of guys have ridden a makulu and the Revolt is only in its early proto status, so not really a safe recommendation too.

But the Revolt could be a good pick indeed, but not before April, May 09

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Intense M6!

But you will bash your pedals on everything!

W3rd and W3rd.

Note:
I have had 2 buddies now that have seriously crashed and broken a Collar bone and a leg on an M6 thanks to hanging a pedal. Ironically on the SAME bike. First guy breaks leg, 2nd guy buys bike from first guy because he's out for the summer. 2nd guy crashes and breaks collar bone that requires surgery and a plate at Sol Vista's last MSC race of the year.

Both happen to believe that bike is cursed! :bonk:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The Nicolai is called ION.........

Only a handful of guys have ridden a makulu and the Revolt is only in its early proto status, so not really a safe recommendation too.

But the Revolt could be a good pick indeed, but not before April, May 09
I know but there are very little low SPs with slammed BB's. Morewood has great build quality and CS so I doubt that would be a problem. The numbers look very nice.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Mine's under 14"

That said, my dh bike is a newer model turner. Can't speak highly enough of it.
Same's true here. My Sunday(s) was a great bike, but there's something about the DHR that I can't get enough of. I've owned a lot of great high end frames, and ridden most of what's out there on trail, and I still like mine the best.

And my BB is about 13.9, despite the website claiming 14.4

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Same's true here. My Sunday(s) was a great bike, but there's something about the DHR that I can't get enough of. I've owned a lot of great high end frames, and ridden most of what's out there on trail, and I still like mine the best.

And my BB is about 13.9, despite the website claiming 14.4
For what fork the website claims it 14.4? Maybe its just the Axle to crown differance?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Demo 7 with reducer cups in the 1.5" headtube. It makes a killer full on race rig. Raced one last year and will be going back to one (or maybe a Demo 8) next year.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
For what fork the website claims it 14.4? Maybe its just the Axle to crown differance?
Well the website also claims a steeper head angle than what it really is. The angle tools measures 64 - 64.5, and the bike feels noticeably slacker than my old Sunday which was 65ish (maybe 65.5?).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Asked turner about this? lower BB and slacker HA is like a bit strange as I'd rather think it would only go in one way.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
if you loved the bottlerocket take a look at the blindside...I went from a bottlerocket to a blindside and it would make a killer race bike. Now one thing to note is that it does have a low bb, so i would suggest 165mm cranks and low pro pedals...

Seriously great bike, i have found i dont want an 8" bike...pm me if you are interested in scooping a frame/seatpost/chainguide/headset combo...

_Bill

MX489

Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
Narrowed down to, 08 DHR, Blindside, 09 Makulu or Commencal mini DH. I like a low standover. Wish I could ride em all. What do you guys think? Heavily leaning towards the Makulu depending on price.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
From what I was told the US price with Bos shock was to be 3200$ so I wouldn't depend on the price ;)

MX489

Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
price is supposed to drop after first production with the bos stuff I think, but even then it still looks like its gonna be ridic.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
Narrowed down to, 08 DHR, Blindside, 09 Makulu or Commencal mini DH. I like a low standover. Wish I could ride em all. What do you guys think? Heavily leaning towards the Makulu depending on price.
you know the mini dh is nothing like the other bikes you listed yeah?

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I wonder if you could order the Makulu with a different shock. I think retail on the Stoy is $1300. I heard $2999 for the Makulu with Stoy... At that price it's up there with the M6 etc. Will it be that good? I hope so.

Blindside is a great bike. DHR is better. Makulu, who knows what it'll be like but I'm sure it won't be a slouch.

eRod

Chimp
May 16, 2007
i'm a sunday guy but what about the intense socom? i've got a buddy with one and he loves it. totally flickable, it can be built up super light and is definitely a race bike. It also has a lowish bb (intense says 14.1) but it might not be as slack as you like at 66.5

just my .02 at the moment i'm holding out for a revolt. we've got plenty of time until spring so no need to decided today. plus, i think, with the crew evil has we can expect something stellar.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What about a Socom? I know its not SP but its light, short, and has a resonable height BB.