Quantcast

My Return to Florida (Lots of Pictures DIAL UP BEWARE)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Prior to moving out of at the end of 2005, it had been a good year or so since I had made the trip from South Florida up to Santos to do some riding. As a matter of fact I hadn't ridden Santos subsequent to OMBA/IMBA's first major renovation to the trail system. I had ridden there a number of times and it was always a great place to ride. However some work obligations forced me to be in Florida this week, so I decided to suck it up and make a road trip down. BillT was kind enough to offer me a place to stay and a guided tour of Santos (and Carter road on Sunday).

So I left the Carolina's late Friday afternoon, stopped some where in Jacksonville for the night. The drive from Jax down 301 through Gainesville certainly brought back some memories. Anyway, I arrived at the trail head right around 8:45. I was immediately impressed with the changes. The big pump track right at the trail head looked fun.

there are even little TTF warm-ups in the trail head for fun.

Then it was off into the trails. My attempt to clean Magic Mountain was thwarted as I was quickly reminded of the difference of "climbing" in Florida vs NC. In FL its all about short bursts of power as the trail gets really steep for a few feet. Then it was off to the other technical trails around the first pit. Again I was reminded of how trails in FL can be VERY technical. I dabbed more in the first few miles of the Reds at Santos then I have on any local trail in the Charlotte area. We pretty much hit most of the red trails on the way over to the Vortx side.

In IMBA fashion there is a nice filter for the secondary trail head as you cross over the road.

Up and over

And turn around and do it again.

The signage at Santos is perfect.

A little warm up before hitting the real stuff I guess

Bad form the first time

A little better the second time

A ride around a few of the red Vortex trails, down into the pit where you can see the REALLY big drops and then the stuff for the rest of us. We started on the little ladder drops.

Did I mention it was a beautiful day?

Again bad form on the first try

A little better

The ever camera shy (or it maybe in comparison to me) BillT

Santos always gets rave reviews for the Dirt Jumps, great wooden structures etc. The reality of it is the technicality XC trails are the real fun. Its all about identifying a line, and making your way through them. Here are a bunch of rock garden pics.

BillT sequence

Me

Fun ladder bridge to a big rock with a little drop
BillT

sequence of ME (are we noticing a pattern?)

So many rock structures, so little time

Same rock different angle

This was another great two part rock garden, seperated by a 90 degree turn

BillT climbing up a nice ladder bridge and over a rock.

Then there were the roll downs. It looks like you could launch these, and I know it has been done in the past, but the lips were a little worn.

They were followed by some more rocks and a little drop.

After riding most of the trails, we headed back to the trailhead for lunch. After some Subway it was time to head back and play on the dirt jumps a little.
I just messed around on the small line, they were a little lippy for me, but I still had a good time.

Then I headed over to a drop I wanted to hit before leaving. They really build things right here. This was super smooth.

From the other side.

Great times...

Thanks to OMBA and IMBA for making this a great place to ride, and of course BillT for the hospitality.

Aug 24, 2008
N/A
Exceptional pics!:clapping: Even though I only live 140 miles SE of Santos, I always make the effort to ride there at least once a month. I will be there for the 2009 Spring Fat Tire Festival next month. This is an awesome place to ride, and the camp grounds at the trail head make it even more worthy to ride. I always spend the majority of the time in and around the Vortex Section and then jump on the red trails in the Santos Section to top off my ride/trip. Freeriding & downhilling is the name of the game!:thumb:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Rob, a bunch of the guys from FRSouth were there the weekend before last. I would have been good to see ya. Definitly my favorite place to ride in Fl. Camping, miles of awesome trails, more stunts and jumps to shake a stick at.

Here's a small video Tye put together. Let us know next time your down.
http://vimeo.com/2974976

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus

looks like they finally added some dirt to that lander. last time we were there noah was all amped up to hit that one but when we got there the erosion had made a little 4' drop into a pretty rough looking 6' drop....a little over his head for now. i think a spring break trip back to the homestate is in order :D

this is what it looked like in '07 the first time i took noah....in '08 it was even more washed out. the new dirt makes it looks much better.

Last edited:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
this is what it looked like in '07 the first time i took noah....in '08 it was even more washed out. the new dirt makes it looks much better.
Judging by your picture it looks like it has changed a bit. The drop itself was about chest high on me, but there is about a 3-4' gap isnt the right word, but more like a shelf that you want to clear to make the transition that doesnt seem to be there in your picture. Either way I am looking forward to Noah showing me up :huh:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Rob, a bunch of the guys from FRSouth were there the weekend before last. I would have been good to see ya. Definitly my favorite place to ride in Fl. Camping, miles of awesome trails, more stunts and jumps to shake a stick at.

Here's a small video Tye put together. Let us know next time your down.
http://vimeo.com/2974976

Great video. Unfortunately work dictated the timing, sorry we didnt get to catch up. I will have to drag some NC guys down there one weekend to avoid the wintery conditions or something.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Judging by your picture it looks like it has changed a bit. The drop itself was about chest high on me, but there is about a 3-4' gap isnt the right word, but more like a shelf that you want to clear to make the transition that doesnt seem to be there in your picture. Either way I am looking forward to Noah showing me up :huh:
ah..gotcha. looks like the added dirt makes for a smoother landing. before you'd just drop straight down and, with too much speed, could easily land at the bottom with a hard thud. those are such good drops to learn on, smooth landers and nothing to dodge at the bottom. great pics rob..i'm so anxious to get back. btw, i've never ridden the xc trails but i think i'll hit them up next time...looks fun.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Here it is back in 2006:

The deck on the lander makes sense- forces people to commit a bit. Less slow-speed nosedives. Love the trails. I'm spoiled up here for tech trails, as it's all-rocks, all-the-time, but they really make the most of everything at Santos and if I ever have to move back to be closer to the family, it'll have to be some place within an easy drive of Santos... ;)