Quantcast

My Saber is finally done - pics

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
After bouncing back and forth between frames the past few months I finally have the bike I wanted done. Its my middle of the road, do everything bike. I've got the BigHit for DH and the P2 for urban so I needed something for trails/XC/some 4X and light DH. I was really happy with the Preston's geometry but it just didn't have enough travel. The Saber is almost identical except with 5-6" instead of 4-5". The addition of the Horst link is a big plus and frame weight is a bit less too. I rode today at our local DJ/4X spot and with a stiff 5" in back and the Pike dialed to 120mm it felt awesome!! Here's the specs:

Frame: '04 Azonic Saber w/Romic (5-6")
Fork: '06 Rock Shox Pike 426 Coil
Shifters: SRAM X.9
Front Derailleur: SRAM X-Gen
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9 med cage
Cranks: TruVativ Holzfellers
BB: TruVativ GigaPipe DH
Chainrings: 24,36
Cassette: SARM Powerglide II
Chain: SRAM PC-970
Handlebar: FUNN (can't remember name)
Headset: FSA Pig DH Pro
Stem: FUNN Serial Killa
Brakes: F-Avid BB7, R-Hayes HFX-9
Wheels: F-EX721, R-Sun Rhyno Lite rear
Tires: F-Kenda Nevegal 2.5 DH, R-Panaracer Fire XC 2.1
Tubes: DH thick ass front, some random thin rear
Grips: ODI Rogue
Seat: WTB Power V
Seatpost: Thomson
Pedals: Weyless junkers from the parts pile

Things I'm swapping out to:
Avid Juicy's
rear HighRoller or similar
new rear wheel (its a loaner)
QR seat collar (the first on my list)

I was a little worried about having a silver fork on a silver frame but I don't mind it.
I need a good real trail test to see how the Pike performs at full travel so I'm looking forward to the weekend :D

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
That bike looks really fun. I have always wanted a saber. Do you know the weight? (im not a weight weenie, just wondering :D )

Good job with the build. I have a 32h 721 up front on my hardtail, and a 721cd 36h in the rear. They are strong/while fairly light.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
VEry nice job, Taylor! Aren't you glad that you went for hte Sbae now? Bet it felt great at Kenter. My Soul 4X has got its new tubeless High Rollers on now, so I will be hitting the Whoops this week. Call me to ride.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
S.K.C. said:
... I see you have built your own Saber...

The mark of a true Jedi.

sorry - couldn't resist :o:

That is pretty funny

Sweet bike. The silver and silver look good. I have always been a fan of matching forks.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Kanter said:
<snip> The silver and silver look good. I have always been a fan of matching forks. </snip>
I was going to say that, but I forgot. It looks awsome. I have an Azonic evolution, which is a really good bike. Azonic really makes nice stuff.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Thanks for all the feedback guys. You're right Red, it is f-ing awesome so far. Wilson will be the true test and at some point I might have to throw the Super T on just for fun :thumb:
I have been looking at the new 06 Boxxer Ride. Its supposed to be as nice as the Pike with 130-170 U-Turn now that they got the 05 bugs worked out.

Weight is definitely in the upper 30's, I've got some pretty beefy parts on there so I expected it would be.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Nagaredama said:
That thing probably weighs like 50 lbs. like your Preston :monkey:
hahaha, ya it is pretty heavy but I don't think its as heavy as the Preston was. That thing was a pig. I have a habit of overbuilding bikes but I figure its better training :)

Fiddy - I think I'll hit them...OOH, look over there!! (runs away)

SirChomps-a-Lot - my thoughts exactly

mtnbrider - I don't know exactly but its probably the heaviest built Saber I've seen. I could have gone with a lot of lighter parts but I wanted it to do everything from XC to DH so I figured I'll sweat out the extra weight.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
mtnbrider said:
I was going to say that, but I forgot. It looks awsome. I have an Azonic evolution, which is a really good bike. Azonic really makes nice stuff.
Why do you ALWAYS say what you have in every thread you post in?:rolleyes:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
CreeP said:
"I was a little worried about having a silver fork on a silver frame but I don't mind it. "

que? anal much?
ya, I know. I actually really like it though. However I did just add Juicys with silver levers...

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
looks great.
azonic bikes are muy underrated.
from their full on DH bikes down to the steelhead.
me know s azonic geometry is d-i-a-l-ed

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
sjcX3oldtown said:
ANY PICS OF IT IN ACTION - i would love to get my hands on that exact setup
I added an Azonic QR collar, holds like a champ.
Here I am at Mt. Wilson. I am freaking loving the setup, feels perfect everywhere I've tried it. Kenter 4X, Wilson light DH, Cheseboro XC. For the first time I am completely happy with my bike for everything :thumb: