Quantcast

my street mtb

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Nice, I had a very similar bike.

Looks like you had the same battle with the planetx stickers I did.

You left hand chainstay looks a bit battered.

I really liked my sidekick frame but I ovalised the headtube when a stem bolt striped and the rear end some how got bent.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
What exactly is it that makes that a mountain bike?

Looks to me like the handlebards and big wheels are the only things keeping it from looking a lot like my BMX ride.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
it's very similar to a bmx indeed ;) even more since I only do bmxtricks. Maybe I should buy a bmx ;)

@D_D: my next frame won't be a dmr, that's for sure. It can hardly handle the ridgid abuse, the chainstay is from failed pedalgrinds, I already had to bent it back a few times because the tube was bent so bad that it hitted the wheel. But I'm probably going to brase a steel plate onto that chainstay.

E

endtroducing

Originally posted by RandomV
What exactly is it that makes that a mountain bike?
I was going to say something like: what exactly is it that makes you an ***hole.

But i thought better of it.

E

endtroducing

btw, stino. very nice rig. and for chrissake watch those grinds! :)

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Well he is right. There is nothing about that bike that makes it an MTB. MTB stands for MounTain Bike or Mountain Terrain Bicycle and if it's a STREET MTB, well that's an oxymoron. If anything it's a road bike:eek: :devil: :D

But really I guess we couldn't have street, flatland, etc BMX bikes either then.:rolleyes:

I dunno, I guess we should just call them Jibbe Bikkes.:devil: :p

E

endtroducing

I dunno, I guess we should just call them Jibbe Bikkes.:devil: :p
well, if you want to be technical, the dual maguras, rear hub spacing, and suspension corrected geometry make it as much outside the generally accepted sphere of bmx as whatever attributes make it unmtb-like.

i responded harshly, but it really gets under my skin (even if that isn't the case here) when people instantly assume something isn't worthy of "mountain bike" status if its ss, rigid, w/ a short stem and high bars. Originally, those were all found on mountain bikes. People seem to get way to caught up in classification.

personally, i prefer the term "bicycle"

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I'm just joking around because the other comment seemed a little out of place to me too.;) I personally have some kinda genre defying bicycles in my quiver.:D

As far as a "Jibbe Bikke" goes, well it's a joke that was floating around the board probably from before you joined. To check out more info on jibbing go here.

E

endtroducing

Originally posted by Mudpuppy
As far as a "Jibbe Bikke" goes, well it's a joke that was floating around the board probably from before you joined. To check out more info on jibbing go here.
oh i know well about jibbification and the ice peeps from Hcor :)

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Originally posted by endtroducing
well, if you want to be technical, the dual maguras, rear hub spacing, and suspension corrected geometry make it as much outside the generally accepted sphere of bmx as whatever attributes make it unmtb-like.

i responded harshly, but it really gets under my skin (even if that isn't the case here) when people instantly assume something isn't worthy of "mountain bike" status if its ss, rigid, w/ a short stem and high bars. Originally, those were all found on mountain bikes. People seem to get way to caught up in classification.

personally, i prefer the term "bicycle"
Okay, first of all, I was joking. Secondly, I'm not trashing the guy's bike because it isn't "mountain bike enough" for me.

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Chris, and I ride a BMX bike. Only. I haven't even owned a mountain bike in more than five years. So, to hell with your "mountain bike status" comment.

It was meant mostly to be funny. Which it seems most people understood before you said what you did.

Frankly, it doesn't look that much like most of the pictures of MTB's floating around on this site, so I commented on it. Secondly, I also noted that there were several BMX parts on the guy's bike.

Sue me. No, wait. Better yet, just bite me.

Lastly... Since I didn't really make this clear in my original post, stino... I like that bike's style. That's how I'd build one myself, probably.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
:-] that title wasn't a very good choice maybe, but I don't really care about names myself. I think you could best call it '24" bike' or something like 'bmx with big wheels' would also describe it very well :)
Anyway, thanks for the cool replies people!

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Okay, first of all, I was joking...
You just need smilies.:D

Without the smilies no one knows that you're joking.:eek:

It's like this. I call you a poo poo head: "You poo poo head!:p ;) " And you know I'm joking because I winked and stuck out my tongue, more or less.

Now you probably already knew all this, but I figured I'd mention it just in case, and to remind you.

And I still think it's a ROAD bike.:devil:

E

endtroducing

Okay, first of all, I was joking. Secondly, I'm not trashing the guy's bike because it isn't "mountain bike enough" for me.

Sue me. No, wait. Better yet, just bite me.
woah there, doggy. like it was said above, it can be very hard to discern the intent of a statement on a message board, especially when sarcasm is involved. Smilies help, but misinterpretation happens. You might also have missed the portion of my second post where i said "even if that isn't the case here." After reading more of your posts in this forum, i realized i had overreacted. sorry. there is no need for you to make a similar mistake.

let me introduce myself. I'm jace. i've never owned a bmx bike. but rode one once. in a parking lot. for ten minutes. :)

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Are the DMR's big in Belgium? I keep seeing pics of those bikes out there. Apparently I have one of 2 or 3 DMR Rhythms here in the states. I love that thing, even though I'm uh... not that good.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
well you can be lucky then, for some reason Belgium and the Netherlands are crowded with dmrs. Unfortunately, these are mostly bought by people who have lots of money but no skills it seems. Lots of them also think they ride street now because they are riding down stairs and doing tiny gaps.
No need to tell you I don't like this at all, imo street is like stairgaps, manuals, grinds, combos,...: this is what street is in bmx, I think it should be the same for mtb.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Its nice not seeing many around, I like having something that every other moron around here bought because he saw some guy in a magazine on one.