Quantcast

My Weds. Night New Ride!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
So I have had some bad luck in the recent past with some epic wrecks, doing some serious damage to my Yeti 575. Included in the carnage a front shifter, and on the next long ride I turned a perfectly good front wheel into the closest semblance of a pringle.:greedy:

So I went to the shop to order parts, and decided to order a new ride also! :brows: The new ride would be low tech with not much to break! So I ordered a new RedLine MonoCog, and within a day it was in the shop ready for me to build!:happydance:
Couple of views of it

this shows the cool matte metallic olive green color!

RIDE REPORT
For our Weds. night ride, I knew that Manhattan was going to a show and wouldn’t be there but I didn’t think the rest of the crew would be such a bunch of fair-weather riders. Only one other guy showed. We jumped on the bikes and headed out. It was my first time on a SingleSpeed and the first time in a LONG LONG time for fully rigid. I hit the first climb and took off like a shot, I remember my friend telling me “you have to ride these things like you stole ‘em” so I did! I got to the first wait point, and stopped. I felt good other than my shoulder which was still aching from the prior weeks accident. (any one that rides a single speed knows there is a lot of upper body used to climb with) I waited for a bit and the other guy finally showed. We rode up the road and I was huffin pretty good. We ducked back into the woods on a quick lollipop loop with a teeter in it, and the bike felt great! It really excelled for me on the semi-level terrain, but the rigid front end was brutal on all the roots and rocks, and I needed to tighten up the headset by the end of the section. Everything was settling in, and I decided after meeting up with a few other riders to keep riding. I pushed a pretty good pace around the top section of the hill, and waited for the other rider before heading down into the far end of the park. He was right behind me when I started down the trail, I got to the end and decided to take the sleeves off of my jacket as I waited for the other guy… I waited and waited for him, but nothing came down the trail…. I enjoyed sitting in the dark listening to the owls sing back and forth to each other. I decided I should probably backtrack and see where the other guy was, so I started back up the trail expecting him to be off to the side either piled up, or fixing a flat, but nothing….. I got all the way back up to the top and he wasn’t there! I started to get mad that he ditched me without telling me! I rode a few nice switchback singletrack sections back to the car and found no sign of him, his car gone no note on the windshield, and no message on my Cell….. I have had issues with this guy before, (he is “THAT GUY” who always shows up for a ride with some part for me to install, or some problem to fix:banghead: , and I finally started showing up ready to ride only a few minutes before ride time so I could say “I don’t have time to fix it now”) anyway other than having the ride cut short by my concern for him, it was a good ride.

I went home coughing from the workout in the cold air, and finished the night off with a couple of these while watching LOST!

:cheers:

The 2:1 gearing is a little tooo steep to be pulling 1600 feet of climbing on the rocky, root infested hills for me right off the bat so I may drop that down to a 18-32, and I may put a suspension fork on with some cable activated disks! :thumb:

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Nice bike, great report, too bad about the chump you were riding with. He was probably just embarrassed that he was getting trounced so badly by a single speed.

Good choice on going with the 32/18, that suits most of the climbs around here except for the really steep stuff. The 16 works well on the flatter trails with short climbs.

Enjoy!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
very cool, what you run tire air? For my MC29 I use 28-30, which is 10 lbs less then my other bikes.
I just switched to 32x18 (equiv to about 32x16 on a 26) from 32x20, but my trails definitely dont have 1600 ft of climbing

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
thanks folks, yep the whole minimalist thing is kinda cool, but I haven't stopped reaching for shift changes when I run out of gear, and i'm flying down the trail! but soon enough!

very cool, what you run tire air? For my MC29 I use 28-30, which is 10 lbs less then my other bikes.
I just switched to 32x18 (equiv to about 32x16 on a 26) from 32x20, but my trails definitely dont have 1600 ft of climbing
I didn't know we do that much climbing (and usually more) on our typical weds. night rides until a guy showed up for a ride a few weeks back with a GPS, and mapped our whole ride. We only did a little over half of our normal ride, and already hit 1600 ft of climbing! I was super surprised when I heard that from this guy!

anyway, to answer your question, I was talking with a bunch of local guys, and most of them are riding 32-16 all the way to 32-22. I deciced to try 32-20 after riding it as a 32-16 and feeling like a rented mule! the 20 tooth at another local shop was a stamped cheapo sprocket at only $4, and as I feel stronger, I will drop down to an 18 which is the most common around here on a 26" due to the terrain. At that point I'll order a good one!:cheers:
*edit* Sorry Doug forgot to say I was running 36lbs (which is WAY too hard on fully rigid, but I think about what I will need to keep from pinch flatting on all the rocks around here!)

Manhattan.... give me a ring or shoot me an E-Mail!!!

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Single speeding is great to work on your technique. I love the upper body workout mine gives me. I went with a suspension fork when I built mine, and sincethe frame is non-disc compatible, I'm thinking of saving for a new frame so I can have discs.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Thanks guys! I am pretty stoked to ride it now that I dropped gear on it... I put on the weeeenie gear last night but with the weather as crappy as it is, I don't think I will get to ride it at all this weekend:disgust:

Single speeding is great to work on your technique. I love the upper body workout mine gives me. I went with a suspension fork when I built mine, and sincethe frame is non-disc compatible, I'm thinking of saving for a new frame so I can have discs.
what did you build up? and what gearing, fork etc. are you running?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I built an old Marin Bolinas Ridge, Manitou Black fork, running 32:18. I cobbled this bike together with parts I had lying around my basement. The only thing I bought for this bike was the SS hub and tensioner.
sounds sweet! post up a pic when you get a chance!

my only issue with cobbling is... most of the parts I have are antiques by MTB standards, (over 8 or 9 years old) so I don't really have a stash of stuff:disgust: hence the building with new parts!