Quantcast

My XC riding is really going to suffer!

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
This weekend I completed my first DH race....and won!(not too hard with only two women in my class) I had a blast and can't wait till the next race! I've suffered through 3 years of XC racing only to win my first couple of beginner races and get a t-shirt then move up to the sport class and finish mid pack for the past 2 years . I race my first DH race and get a cool hat and a free season pass. This is the way to go if you like taking some risks and flying downhill! More women need to try this! It's soooo much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
dh racing is wayyy more fun. i did one xc race before i decide it's not for me.

glad to hear you converted over to the dark side! always nice to have more girls at the races. having more girls drives up the level of competition.

good job!

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Heidi said:
Don't be trying to take women racers away from cross country dammit! :)
Don't worry Heidi, I've actually spent more time on my XC bike then my DH bike this summer...and have actually been considering *gasp* trying an XC race this year :eek: ....so that should even it out a little :p

Oh and VT Mtbkr congrats on your first DH race! :)

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
congrats!!! that is so awesome!!! This will be the first year that I'm seriously considering NOT racing so much xc b/c I just like racing DH sooo much more -- the style of the race, the technicality, the speed.

Still hanging on the fence though -- here in TX, there really aren't any DH races (have to travel far for those) only xc.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
amydalayna said:
dh racing is wayyy more fun. i did one xc race before i decide it's not for me.

glad to hear you converted over to the dark side! always nice to have more girls at the races. having more girls drives up the level of competition.

good job!
That sounds familiar. I also did one XC race and proceeded to go and buy a DH bike and do that instead.

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
I love the excitement of DH. Who doesn't enjoy going super fast down a trail blazing over rocks, roots and catching some air off of the jumps/drops. I was there standing below the start gate as VT Mtbkr ripped out of the gate. It was fun to cheer them on as they rode down the trail as I waited for my turn to tear it up. AWESOME JOB! :trophy_br As for XC, use it to work on bike handling skills and cardio. Nothing like tight single track to get the juices flowing. :D

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I can't stop riding XC since I live in VA and the closest decent lift access is 3.5 hours away. I am trying to wiggle my way out of my local 18 hour race to so I could race the second Snowshoe race and have a chance at the ametuer series. I feel a little guilty about that...

DHchix is some kinda fast! She finished second in pro and would have had first if Missy hadn't showed up to race. Congrats!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
dhchix said:
As for XC, use it to work on bike handling skills and cardio. Nothing like tight single track to get the juices flowing. :D
i love riding xc (most of my riding IS xc), but it's the racing i don't find that fun. the best part of a dh race is that as soon as you start heading down the course, you know it's just about over!

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
Amydalayna,

I understand that........depending on the course your looking at 2 - 6 minute runs for DH instead of an hour plus for XC. I also enjoy XC riding. I competed in a XC race this year (which is something I don't train for) and found it to be fun. Of course, I was out there to see how I would hold up physically and mentally as well as shooting for some personal goals I had set (winning was not one of them). Who knows, I might give it another try but DH will remain my love. Curious......what part of XC racing turns you off?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I think what I like more about DH racing are the people I have met. I think making those connections is one of the reasons I keep racing. Maybe it's all the waiting around you do, but I always walk around from each DH race with a new friend. I never felt that same friendly energy at the xc race I've done or gone to to watch friends.

I also like that it's over before I know it. This weekend I'm racing the Downieville DH. I'm dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time. It'll be the longest downhill(ish) race I'll ever do. I hope I can keep with it (mentally and phsically) throughout the whole course.

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
VT Mtbkr said:
I can't stop riding XC since I live in VA and the closest decent lift access is 3.5 hours away. I am trying to wiggle my way out of my local 18 hour race to so I could race the second Snowshoe race and have a chance at the ametuer series. I feel a little guilty about that...

DHchix is some kinda fast! She finished second in pro and would have had first if Missy hadn't showed up to race. Congrats!
Thanks for the shout out. I'm expecting the competition at the next race to be just as tough if not more. I hope you can make it to the next race.

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
amydalayna said:
I think what I like more about DH racing are the people I have met. I think making those connections is one of the reasons I keep racing. Maybe it's all the waiting around you do, but I always walk around from each DH race with a new friend. I never felt that same friendly energy at the xc race I've done or gone to to watch friends.

Let me tell you what happen to me at my XC race. I'm out there walking around being my friendly self saying "Hello" and everyone looks at you like WTF. So here I roll up to the start line with 4 other girls and I say "Ladies, Have a good race and be safe". Not one of them acknowledged my exsistence. I thought to myself, if I were a beginner starting out in Mtb'ing and had to put up with this......screw you.....I'm going home. From my expierence, I have found that most (not all) XC racers are not very accepting of someone new. Well, enough of my soap box......good luck with your race. Keep the rubber side down!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
dhchix said:
Let me tell you what happen to me at my XC race. I'm out there walking around being my friendly self saying "Hello" and everyone looks at you like WTF. So here I roll up to the start line with 4 other girls and I say "Ladies, Have a good race and be safe". Not one of them acknowledged my exsistence. I thought to myself, if I were a beginner starting out in Mtb'ing and had to put up with this......screw you.....I'm going home. From my expierence, I have found that most (not all) XC racers are not very accepting of someone new. Well, enough of my soap box......good luck with your race. Keep the rubber side down!
and i hate to say NEVER, but that would never happen at a DH race. You'd be sitting up there... all full of nerves.... and you would see someone else sitting up there all full of nerves and you would go over and ask what class they were racing. you'd talk about how you hate waiting around. blah blah blah.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Luckily I haven't had this experiance with XC racing. There are a couple of women who are hardcore and don't speak to us social types. I have a great group of women to race with most of the time.

My problem with XC racing is that the better you get the longer the races. I won the beginner races that were 6 miles but moving up to sport was bad. I'm a fast technical XC rider but only for about 6 miles, in a 12-14 mile race I can lead or retain a podium spot until the second lap and then my body just says that's enough. I've never been good in any endurance sports but give me a good sprint and I can hold my own. I guess that's why I seem to like this DH stuff, the faster you are the better!

I know what you mean about the social aspect. In a XC race I'm focussed on warming my legs up so there's little time to chit chat before the race and after a 1-2 hour race all I want to do is eat a good meal and curl up for a nap. And then there's the beer aspect.......DH and beer=good times!!!

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
amydalayna said:
and i hate to say NEVER, but that would never happen at a DH race. You'd be sitting up there... all full of nerves.... and you would see someone else sitting up there all full of nerves and you would go over and ask what class they were racing. you'd talk about how you hate waiting around. blah blah blah.
Yeah, I'm the same way. I like finding out where people are from, how long they've been riding and racing, what class they run and what got them interested in DH. It does help settle the nerves.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
I raced DH a couple of times last year. I enjoyed it, it was fun and I enjoy competing. I sometimes question courses though, as they can make or break (literally) a new racer.

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
VT Mtbkr said:
Luckily I haven't had this experiance with XC racing. There are a couple of women who are hardcore and don't speak to us social types. I have a great group of women to race with most of the time.

You know, I did go into the XC race with a DH attitude and viewed it as a social gathering before ripping down the trail. I guess that is why I don't race XC....the tension is so thick you could cut it with a knife. :devil: Well, tonight we are heading out for a road ride. Yes, once in a while I'm a roadie. :) Getting ready for a 65 miler this weekend to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Name of the ride: Hurt, Pain and Agony. It lives up to the name. It is going to be interesting.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
In my one XC race, the people were friendly at least, but the sandbagging really turned me off.

It was my first race, and I had only been riding at all for maybe a few months, so I raced beginner. There was another girl in my class on a borrowed bike with clipless pedals and sneakers, along with her friend. We convinced her to go to the Shimano tent and beg to borrow some flat pedals at least. And THEN there were several sponsored girls in our beginner class, one of whom was bragging how she had won every race this year, and comparing her race results to the previous several years... and I was just stunned. If you are on a sponsored race team and are racing beginner, you should be ashamed of yourself.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
luvz2ridez said:
How do you get started in something like that?
You mean downhill? I borrowed a bike and armour to see what it was all about. If you can't borrow then most lift assited parks will rent bikes and armour. I was hooked and started researching used bikes, armour and saving money.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
Yep, go out to the nearest lift served biking area and try it out. Most have shops in the area that do demos. And depending on where you go, most areas have intermediate trails as well as real DH trails, so you could just have a long travel XC bike and shin and elbow guards and maybe a full face helmet and try out that stuff your first time too... work your way up.

Personally, we went out to Sundance once, rode our XC bikes and I was hooked. Went and bought a used DH bike on ebay and then started racing.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
my riding was more of a progression.
years ago i had a crap bike. rode it until i needed something better.... it went from there.

i think most important is having a place to ride in relatively close proximity. i wouldn't have bought a dh bike if i didn't have lift access and shuttle runs nearby.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
I started riding 3 years ago with a Kona hardtail and wasn't too into it. My hubby bought my a Specialized XC and I've gotten more into it. This year, I've had the itch to start doing more though, I love love love going fast down hill. Just bought a Kona Dawg last weekend and haven't even had a chance to ride it yet! I don't know if I have the nerve to race or anything, but was just curious how one would go about looking into it. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to bomb ass down the hill on my dawg!!!