Quantcast

My yeti beauty

slang

Monkey
Apr 20, 2005
So I sorted out my whole dilemma over the as-x and the 7point and eventually went with the tried and proven design. Besides, so many companies are going with curved tubes now I might as well get what's left of the straights :thumb:

Got it from Allen at dropnzone.com. Service is incredible, we exchanged about 10 emails over the space of 3 days, I got the build from yeti but changed a bunch of parts (I'm not a big fan of truvativ and shimano by personal pref.), and he still gave me a smokin' deal on it.

Not only that, he drove 2 hours up here to deliver the bike to me himself. Highly recommend his shop :D

(not the best of pics but I'll get better ones soon when the sun peeps out)

The frame's black ano in small. I'm 5'7" and the small's definately better. It's way more flickable than the medium, loves being on a black wheel (for a dualie anyway) and handled really steep ladders well. On the skinnies, it felt like my trials bike, just with 12" of travel... Stable yet agile. Havent really climbed on yet but it bobbed tons when I was standing up and mashing. Only thing is, I havent even touched the suspension dials yet so I'll get to that once I'm done typing.

I havent took it on any knarly decents cuz of a back injury yet, but definately will later. Right now, it's time to figure out how the suspension works :confused:

For those wondering what the 36 is like... Just ride any other fox, like a vanilla. Transfer that feeling into a fork as stiff as a DC and with 4-6" of travel, and that's what the 36 is. Better than a manitou anytime, and not that much $ more over a sherman break out plus (which comes specced on the yeti build). Beefy as hell too and so much tyre clearance!! Cant wait to see how the 36 works with the dhx 5 on the back on the long run. But for now, it's the most well-balanced FS bikes I've tried.

Only thing about the yeti is the standover clearance... There isnt much. Welds are pretty clean however and the build quality really is evident. After being off riding for the past month+ healing and bikeless, yesterday was honestly one of the best days of my life.

:D

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Nice rig!

My brother is getting the same set up exactly. But he's only got one arm so once he transfers over the front brake lever to the right hand side he'll chop off the left side of the handlebar. Pretty far out!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
quadricolour said:
Have you tried it in 7" travel mode as well? How slack is it in 6" with that fork?
In the short setting, mine is 67 degrees with the Fox 36. It's a little steep in the long setting for my tastes.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Nice bike!
I had settled on a Banshee Chaparral, but then the prices changed. :mumble:
Now I'm looking at the ASX (along with the new Enduro and the IH 7.5) to be used as a do everything bike until I can afford a good hardtail to go with it.

Am I correct in thinking that the head angle gets steeper when the rear travel gets longer? I wish someone would come up with a linkage that slackens the head angle with the longer travel. Seems to me that you would use more travel when descending, therefore the need for a slacker head angle - or am I just profoundly confused?

Did you figure out the bobbing issues?
Anyway, sweet bike. :thumb:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
rigidhack said:
Nice bike!
I had settled on a Banshee Chaparral, but then the prices changed. :mumble:
Now I'm looking at the ASX (along with the new Enduro and the IH 7.5) to be used as a do everything bike until I can afford a good hardtail to go with it.

Am I correct in thinking that the head angle gets steeper when the rear travel gets longer? I wish someone would come up with a linkage that slackens the head angle with the longer travel. Seems to me that you would use more travel when descending, therefore the need for a slacker head angle - or am I just profoundly confused?

Did you figure out the bobbing issues?
Anyway, sweet bike. :thumb:
That seems to make sense,but yeti has the shorter travel setting a little slacker so you can run a 6" fork and not have it too steep;and have a balance of travel.

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
rigidhack said:
Nice bike!
Longer travel usually means you need a higher BB so you don’t hit cranks/frame against the ground as you sink into the travel. If you raise the BB you need to increase the A-C on the fork to keep a similar head angle.

slang

Monkey
Apr 20, 2005
I've been running it in the 7" setting lately. I like steep angles as I'm used to them so the bike feels great for me, I will give it a shot in the shorter travel in the rear tho and see how that goes.

Thing is tho, I'm using a 400 spring and I cant even get it to sag 30% eye to eye unless I move the ring so much it extends beyond the farthest unsprung abilities of the spring. Am I doing anything wrong or should I just put more weight onto my 130lbs body?

Anyway, here's more pics for ya.