Quantcast

N Ga (Ellijay) & TN, Memorial Day weekend

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Whats up people. Myself and a couple of friends are headed to the Ellijay area for Memorial Day weekend. Unlike Asheville/Pisgah I have never been and not sure what to ride.

Any sugestions? On trails or good bike shops with info or guide services?
Anyone want to ride?

We will be in Atlanta Thursday night and heading to the Ellijay area early Friday AM. Then staying in Blairsville Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. We probably will only be able to do a short AM ride on Monday (Close to the Hotel).

I ride a Heckler and like technical Epic single track with lots of downhill.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Technical with lots' of downhill... :think:

Try this shop, there are a few trail maps on their websites
http://cartecaybikes.com/Default.htm

Bear Creek and the connecting Pinhotti would be great.

Bear Creek has several creek crossings and his lot's of fun to bomb back hill downhill. Lot's of waterbars, rocks and other fun stuff.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
DVNT said:
Technical with lots' of downhill... :think:
Well when I say downhill, not like downhill DH (straight down the mountain), but going down instead of up ya know. :o:

DVNT said:
Try this shop, there are a few trail maps on their websites
http://cartecaybikes.com/Default.htm

Bear Creek and the connecting Pinhotti would be great.

Bear Creek has several creek crossings and his lot's of fun to bomb back hill downhill. Lot's of waterbars, rocks and other fun stuff.
Thanks, will do.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah, it's not steep techy downhill. Think more like super D with optional jumps on the side. A bullet would be perfect for it but it's a decent climb up and I don't think there is a feasible shuttle option.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
DVNT said:
Yeah, it's not steep techy downhill. Think more like super D with optional jumps on the side.
That sounds perfect. Want to ride?

DVNT said:
A bullet would be perfect for it but it's a decent climb up and I don't think there is a feasible shuttle option.
I have learned not to use the "S" word in the South forum :nope: :evil:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I just cracked a few ribs this past saturday so I don't know if I'll be up for it.

Another place I highly recommend is Tanasi, it's another hour north of Ellijay.
It has tons of trails and you can easily hook up a 30 mile loop between all the singletrack and F.S. roads, lot's of climbing and some really fun roller coaster descents.

EDIT:
tanasi trail descritions

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
Bear Creek is fun, and the new section of the Pinhotti trail that branches off is a blast, too.

Also, while in the area check out the trails on Aska in Blue Ridge. I reccomend riding up the singletrack (called the girlscout trail), then dropping down into the flat creek loop so that you ride the loop counterclockwise.

The Carters Lake loop is fun, as are the trails at the Fort Mountain State park. You could also head up to the Ocoee and hit the trails at the Olympic Center, that's not too far from Ellijay. Finally, two of my favorites woud have to be Sumac Creek and Iron Mountain. Iron Mountain is in great shape right now (I like log crossings), and the there is a sweet rythm section on the last downhill.

None of these trails have any big hits, but Iron Mountain, Sumac, and the lower section of the downhill of the Flat Creek loop are probably the most technical. All of the trails mentioned required moderate climbing.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Thursday after work, Mark & Ross show up at my place and we load up the Xterra for the drive north

We drive through most of the night, pulling over around 3am some where in Ga at a rest stop to wait for Mike (a buddy of Mark's) that has been playing catch-up for a few hours. We sleep for a while they pull up and we had to Atlanta where we arrive at Mike's buddy's house around 5:00am sleep for a few hours and head out the door to our first stop "Blanket's Trail System" outside of Atlanta.

It was an 8 mile trail that consisted of an intermediate and advanced loop circling a scenic lake.

They alternate directions depending on the day. This is one of SORBA's ( www.Sorba.org ) trail systems and it was in AMAZING shape. Some of the clearest single track I have ever seen. We did 2 laps of the entire park. It reminded me of an Alafia, but with bigger climbs, faster descents and of course red GA CLAY :bigteeth: Here was a fun rock drop that we took some pictures on.

Matt

Mark

Me

Then we packed up and headed towards Ellijay, where we road Carter's Lake. I am not sure if it was from the 16 or so miles that we had already ridden, the car ride or what, but Carter's Lake KICKED my A$$. The trail was awesome as it circled this lake with pretty steep climbs, then descents, but over all probably only gained 300' in elevation, but man every climb seemd to start out of no where. I was so tired, the only picture I took was of the trail head sign.

Day 1 total Mileage ~ 25

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
We headed towards TN where we rode the Tanasi trail system at the Ocoee White Water center. This place was SUPER cool, and Saturday was easily one of the best days I have had mountain biking. We arrive and I jump out and immediately start taking some pictures. It is just a cool place to be. Here is what you see when you first arrive

Then as the rest of the guys unpacked, my Heckler was feeling photogenic, so I snapped this pic

Then Ross in the same place

Then Mark started asking what the hell we were doing, so I took a picture of him too

Then all of us crossing the river to the trails. We are all looking in different directions because we were trying to coordinate 3 timers from 3 different cameras sitting on the opposite rail
from left to right
Mark, Ross, Matt, Me, Mike, Dave, Pete

Then we headed to the trail system,

which rocked. We rode it almost all of it. (we just didnt hit one section of the Chestnut loop)

Here I am looking at a climb that just seemed to keep going and going and going.

We hit every trail on our first go around. The RiverView loop was an incredible roller coaster ride. Then we hit every loop on the map. Being a stacked loop system it worked out great, pretty tough climbs followed by the reward. Here are the guys heading down a really fast, fun and pretty section of West Fork

Then the last trail we hit was called "Thunder Rock Express." One of the locals called it "Gnarly" and "Death on the Left." Well it was the BEST trail of the trip, but FAR from Gnarly, it was like a 2 mile downhill with REALLy fast turn, jumps and woops. If you have ever ridden Burnt Mountain at Dupont, it reminded me of that, but faster, and longer.

Here are the guys finishing up the end of T.R. Express

Then we came back, busted out the cooler full of lunch and relaxed for lunch

Here was my view from my lunch/resting spot. INCREDIBLE

We just lounged around for about 2 hours after lunch
Matt and Dave by the river's edge

Some of us relaxed more then others.

Then we geared up and prepared to go back and hit the highlights of the trails again. Here I am warming up on the rock next to our lunch spot

From there we climbed back up and hit the RiverViewL loop in the opposite direction and then down Thunder Rock Express again.

All in all day 2 was again over 25 miles.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
On Day 3 we headed back towards Ocoee, past the Tanasi trail system, and just a little further is the Chilhowee trail system.

Another great trail system and would of probably been even more fun if we had a little more knowledge, a guide or were just not so whipped from the previous 2 days of riding. We pull up in the lower parking lot and I immediately look at the map and realize if we park here we are starting the day with a 6 mile climb of almost 1200' to where the majority of the loops are. I lobby for moving to the upper trail head. So we head up the road, and along the way we stop and take a few pics of the over looks.

We keep driving and get to the top, where there is a really nice camp ground, trail head and swimming lake.

Ross, Mark, Me

We then head out into the trails. I am not sure what it was, maybe the map we had didnt have all of the loops listed or we were just delerious, but today was a little more confusing. We hit a lot of stuff, but the total ride had less flow, we did a lot of out and backs, retraced our routes and what not. However there was some incredible riding. I would love to go back here with a clearer picture of the routes.
Towards the top of one of the first climbs. (I have no idea how I got up there first to take the picture)

Mark's face kinda tells the story of 2 long days of riding and a nice climb to start the day

Ah but then the descents
Me

Mark

We rode a bunch of other loops and came across this really cool rock garden.
Ross

Dave

Mark

Me

Matt (he rocked the whole trip on a SS with just 1 back brake)

During one of the trails Mike took a decent spill and was hurting. So after lunch we mentioned hitting the long downhill trail back to the lower parking lot and back up. He mentioned he wanted to climb it, but his shoulder was hurting and was concerned about the descent. So he said how about he take the car to the bottom and climb back up. Well my fata$$ jumped on that opportunity and said I would be happy to go down and drive the car back up. :bigteeth: The ride down the "Clemmer Trail" was fast but nothing too exciting. Mark and I then took the car back to the top and rode around the trail head while the rest of the guys climbed the 6 miles. Here is me dropping off a small wall to the lake where Mark had to clean the dog poo off his tire.

At the end of the day we went down Clemmer again and I raced Mark, with him taking the truck/road down. He beat me by 6 minutes, I beat the rest of the group by 8.

Near the bottom of the Clemmer Trail

Another great day. I logged ~ 22 miles and the other guys got an addition 6 from that climb back up :devil:

GREAT trip. I dont think the area beats Pisgah/Asheville, but it is a must do in my book. I would go back in a heartbeat.