Quantcast

N* september 24-25

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
As much as it sucks that they might be closing down the * forever (At least for MTBin') I'll most likely be up there saturday, perhaps sunday for a half day. Who else is gonna be in for this historical "last ride"?

MrCrash907

Chimp
Jan 26, 2004
El Bunny, California
That really blows. I just started feeling comfortable doing small drops, and the easier parts of double black diamonds, resulting in the investment of even more cash into some protective DH gear.

Is Mammoth is the only other chairlift option that's even remotely close?

I'm hoping to make it up on Saturday.

DHinFool

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
They just spent thousands of dollars the last couple years on racks for the chairlift and Gondola. They are not closing forever to MTBing, just for a couple years while they build a new mid mountain lodge and finish up the village.

There is a race this weekend also, it is going to me a zoo up there.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
chicodude01 said:
As much as it sucks that they might be closing down the * forever (At least for MTBin') I'll most likely be up there saturday, perhaps sunday for a half day. Who else is gonna be in for this historical "last ride"?
just out of curiousity... who is saying they are closing mtn biking forever? whenever i talk to anyone at n* they say these are just rumors and that they WILL be open next year.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I was told it was up in the air for next year, hopefully it will stay open.

I had my last ride of the season (forever?) on sat. It was really dead up there, but fun as hell.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
I'm going on Friday the 23rd... For what it's worth, I talked to a guy at the N* bike shop today, he said it's up in the air about next year, but they really doubt they will be closed next season.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Brian HCM#1 said:
I was told it was up in the air for next year, hopefully it will stay open.

I had my last ride of the season (forever?) on sat. It was really dead up there, but fun as hell.
i was there saturday too. lots o fun. and the weather was beautiful.
am hoping it's not super chilly next weekend.

has anyone heard anything about mt rose being open for mtn biking next year? or is that just a rumor?

MrCrash907

Chimp
Jan 26, 2004
El Bunny, California
DHinFool said:
They just spent thousands of dollars the last couple years on racks for the chairlift and Gondola. They are not closing forever to MTBing, just for a couple years while they build a new mid mountain lodge and finish up the village.

There is a race this weekend also, it is going to me a zoo up there.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense that they'd add all the new racks just to scrap the program. But I'm just an outside observer - it's hard to question the insight of the locals who have been patronizing the place a lot longer than I have.

Since the races are scheduled for Sunday the 25th, Saturday shouldn't be so bad, right?

When I went on the last day of the season back in 2004, the lines weren't bad at all.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
dhtahoe said:
They a canning the program after this year anyway... For good. They just have not made it public yet. They are a real estate company now, and need to sell all those condos before the market takes a crap. I think it's funny that they keep building in Truckee, but nobody is buying. Another developer (who has been less than pleasent to cyclist) was stabbed and killed after he pissed off a local redneck a few weeks ago. East-West the owners of N* are F'ing up the whole town of Truckee. Buying every piece of retail they can and kicking out the tennents. Some that have been there for 30+ years. Retail space is OVER $4/sq ft. Almost double of what it was a year ago. We are too low income for their market. If we all bought a 1.3 million dollar 1bd condo it would be different. They are doing ALOT of things that are against the law, but have figured out that it's cheaper to pay the fines than do it the right way. The Squaw Valley has ben doing this for years. That's why Squaw has no park anymore. "They don't want our type there".
dhtahoe said:
Heard all this before, but always a new excuse. The GM want the program canned. They don't tell their employees the truth. They will wait until the very last minute (June 2006). Just like they did this year with closing early. This is only the first phase of construction with three to go. I have been hearing this " we are going to build a whole bunch of new trails" crap for three years now. Still think it's funny that Kona named a bike after a trail that never got built. Until they quite lying I will not give them any more of my money!!!

I got my info from town.

NovatoSCFR

Monkey
Aug 27, 2004
NOVATO CA
I was there saturday, and I think I may be able to get up again this weekend. The N* guys I talked to (in the shop) said they weren't sure about riding next year, but that in two seasons they will be making TREMENDOUS improvements to the bike park. I wouldn't be surprised if they go all out and try to compete with whistler, because on the snow side they are adding 6 new lifts, one that will run 24/7 directly to the Ritz (you pass by the construction on the way to boondocks).

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
It's matt from MTBR, the one who defended Tony :D

Anyway, I'll be there Saturday and Sunday, I'll see you up there. I may have to beat your a$$ for what you said on MTBR j/k, you're probably about twice my size