Quantcast

Nao With Gimbal

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This is with a Feiyu Tch WGs wearable gimbal and a Hero Session both of which are set to "auto", I have not bothered to read the directions for the gimbal - I just charged the batteries and turned it on. Very easy to use. Tasty deer in the first 30 seconds. :)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Fooling around the hood, playing with various camera settings. This is 1080p 60fps 4:3 aspect ratio, low bit rate & low sharpness.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Fooling around the hood, playing with various camera settings. This is 1080p 60fps 4:3 aspect ratio, low bit rate & low sharpness.
Are you constrained on storage space? Why else would you choose low bitrate? I think the FOV is great now but 4:3 sure exaggerates that fisheye distortion!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) Karma has come to bite me in the ass, in both senses. I put in a support request for the problems I document in this video:

2) I'm still digging it in general when it works:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Now y'all got me looking for one. Bastards. I love my ghetto SJ4000 camera, but the moto videos I have shot have been a little sketch. Seems weird spending $200 on a mount for my $30 camera. :rofl:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
1) Karma has come to bite me in the ass, in both senses. I put in a support request for the problems I document in this video:
Let us know how it goes with them. Based on what people do with them these things are going to take a beating, it would be nice to find a vendor that will repair them quickly. I just dropped a note to EVO to see if they do repairs in the US.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
I put in a support request for the problems I document in this video:
Have you heard back from us yet? I'm in engineering at GoPro. I don't work directly on the Karma Grip, but I can try to help out if you haven't already heard back from customer support. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Have you heard back from us yet? I'm in engineering at GoPro. I don't work directly on the Karma Grip, but I can try to help out if you haven't already heard back from customer support. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like.
Awesome. I actually did hear back from them: got instructions on how to reset and then (re-)recalibrate. I did that and have shot an hour or two of video since without issue, albeit from my relatively motion-free bike commute rather than skiing or mountain biking.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
I still don't understand why these aren't made to take a GoPro in a case?
Why would you like to use a camera with a case on Karma (or any other gimbal)?

Hero5 is waterproof without a case and has a replaceable lens cover. Karma itself isn't rated as waterproof (or any other gimbals I've seen). So the camera is already safer than the grip. Even if you're using an older Hero4, the system as a whole will all be at the same level of robustness.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I still don't understand why these aren't made to take a GoPro in a case?
The Karma Grip was designed around the Hero5 Black, or at least its release was coincident. Said revision finally doesn't require a case to be waterproof to 10m, iirc. While the Karma Grip is not technically waterproof GoPro has officially given it the thumbs up for use while skiing, which is about as wet as I'd get it anyway.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Relevant/forgot to crosspost here:

This is post-reset, post-recalibration. Looks ok, but then again most of my footage before the hiccup did as well.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Why would you like to use a camera with a case on Karma (or any other gimbal)?

Hero5 is waterproof without a case and has a replaceable lens cover. Karma itself isn't rated as waterproof (or any other gimbals I've seen). So the camera is already safer than the grip. Even if you're using an older Hero4, the system as a whole will all be at the same level of robustness.
I guess I was just thinking the camera was fragile. I'd love to get one for biking, but wiping out $5-600 worth of equipment on a crash makes me hesitant.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I guess I was just thinking the camera was fragile. I'd love to get one for biking, but wiping out $5-600 worth of equipment on a crash makes me hesitant.
The gimbal motors are active all the time to keep the camera in place. You can't ride with the gimbal off, too much flapping around and resulting damage to both the camera and the gimbal. Heavier camera with case == way more energy needed and short run times. Also, the case increases the dimensions significantly, which would require bigger arms of the gimbal, making it too big to be wearable, etc.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The gimbal motors are active all the time to keep the camera in place. You can't ride with the gimbal off, too much flapping around and resulting damage to both the camera and the gimbal. Heavier camera with case == way more energy needed and short run times. Also, the case increases the dimensions significantly, which would require bigger arms of the gimbal, making it too big to be wearable, etc.
I ride/ski with the gimbal off. It does just flop there but afaik it's not going to damage anything hitting its travel limits now and then.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Can't do that with the FY-WG - the camera hits gimbal parts when flopping around.
Chalk one up for GoPro. It hangs in a sad, contorted state but just bounces off of its limits. No contact between frame and camera when the handle is moved around whether held upright, with camera forward, handle horizontal, or halfway in between as on the Chesty mount.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
GoPro claims 1:45 battery life for the gimbal and that battery is integrated. (Their solution for more battery life is to buy an additional grip! Nope!) Therefore I shall be continuing this practice as even my short skiing and biking sessions usually top that.