Quantcast

Nature appreciation up close

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The best thing you can do if you ever find yourself in that situation is to wait for the grizzly to get really close, then SMACK her right on her nose. She'll get the message loud and clear.

You're welcome.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
but once obama takes away ever ones guns then the bears will be able to attack whenever they want!!! someone quick, call glen beck and rush limbaugh...we must spread the word

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Never go into the bush without a partner and a .22 pistol. And some running shoes. See a bear, shoot your buddy in the leg, empty the rest of the pistol @ bear...leave area at a slow jog.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I once saw a massive grizzly on the way home from work while I was up in Tumble Ridge, BC. It reared up on it's hind legs to give the air a sniff. It had to be around 10' tall.

We stayed in the pickup.

On my first night up in James Bay, my new colleagues thought it would be fun to drink a few beers, then go out to the dump to "look at the bears". I didn't believe there would be bears so close to camp. We were all a little tipsy and could see no bears from the usual(?) spot, so we decided to go through the hole in the fence to get a little closer. As we reached the top of the crater shape of the dump, we heard a growl. Took an about face and headed back to the pickup. Drove around to the other side for a better view and saw 8 bears (black) all munching away on garbage.

We stayed in the pickup.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Used to shoot nuisance bears with frozen paintballs. It would scare em the first few times but after that they would just ignore it. Always had a 9mil just in case, but I doubt it would be easy to drop a charging bear before it got to you.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
really? rubber buckshot is a good deterrent?
Well obviously it depends on the behaviour of the bear....a charging grizzly with intent certainly wont be stopped, but for "nuisance" bears we use a combo of dogs and the rubber buckshot or the rubber ball for chasing them off property or site. It works. I've only ever once had to use a rubber buckshot on a bear charging forward, and I would have guessed the bear would have stopped about 1-2 meters short of me, but I wasnt taking that chance. (FYI - first 2 shells are rubber, the rest of 'em are real deal slugs if necessary). Most charging bears - and im including the one in the OP video - will stop within a few meters during a charge. Certainly tests the bowels :eek:

Edit - While typing this message my computer desk/chair were shaking a bit...didn't think much of it, figured it was the cat messing around...just found out we had an earthquake!

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Did anyone read any of the comments to the story?

Well, there's his ten minutes of fame. What an idiot. If there is a Darwin, then he will re-visting this tremendously stupid individual. What fun do put at risk such beautiful animals to feed your ego. Disgusting
Im having a little trouble with this one.