Quantcast

NBR: but 2-wheel related

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I just graduated from my Buell Blast to a Kawasaki Z750s -- a motorized addition to my bike collection. It's pretty fun to ride. The dealer said he's not supposed to say this, but it's a "hooligan" bike -- so now I have license to be a hooligan.

we only have one car between the two of us, and it's a van (not the sportiest of vehicles), so the motos add a little pizzazz to our commuting and travel when we need a break from pedalling (not to mention they are a little bit lighter on the gas guzzling then the car).

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
Nice!! I got out on my dirt bike this past weekend and just realized how much I love and missed it. (Hadn't ridden it all season due to injuries, etc.) And it's such a workout. My glutes, adductors, triceps, back, shoulders... I'm sore, but I can't wait to go again. What a blast. I think it's great for my MTB riding too - I have to ride all the obstacles or I may as well wreck trying because I can't exactly carry my bike over anything.

We've been talking about getting a street bike. You're tempting me!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
altagirl said:
Nice!! I got out on my dirt bike this past weekend and just realized how much I love and missed it. (Hadn't ridden it all season due to injuries, etc.) And it's such a workout. My glutes, adductors, triceps, back, shoulders... I'm sore, but I can't wait to go again. What a blast. I think it's great for my MTB riding too - I have to ride all the obstacles or I may as well wreck trying because I can't exactly carry my bike over anything.

We've been talking about getting a street bike. You're tempting me!
Where in Utah do you ride/live?? And what kinda dirt bike do you ride? I ride dirt bikes also and we usually head over to Utah 1-2 times a year for some good desert riding.

Sorry to hijake Mohshee, it's just so rare to find other girls who ride "motorized" bikes. I love the street bike! I would get one if I had some $$! Maybe some day.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
DH Diva said:
Where in Utah do you ride/live?? And what kinda dirt bike do you ride? I ride dirt bikes also and we usually head over to Utah 1-2 times a year for some good desert riding.

Sorry to hijake Mohshee, it's just so rare to find other girls who ride "motorized" bikes. I love the street bike! I would get one if I had some $$! Maybe some day.
I live just south of SLC. And I have a 2002 DR-Z250. (I'm 5'9" - and the other girls I was riding with this weekend were complaining about how it must be nice to just fit on a regular bike and not have to custom build something smaller).

I love riding down in Moab in spring and fall. Kane Creek is a blast - we've done it as a big loop coming back on Pritchett Canyon, and I've done Amasa Back, Porcupine as an out and back (turning around before Jackass Canyon), parts of UPS and LPS, Chicken Corners, Bartlett Wash, Monitor and Merrimac, Klondike Bluffs... So fun.

This weekend we just went up into the Uintas with two other couples. Really cool trail that I'd never ridden before. We first did an out and back section that had a gnarly loose descent (the climb back out wasn't any easier), and then a really cool loop with some super fun rocky switchbacks, little jumps, etc. I had a great time. And we also have 5-mile pass OHV area out on the southern part of the Ochres, and Knolls and Delle out on I-80 towards Wendover. There used to be a really fun trail in American Fork Canyon too, but I've heard it was closed - not sure though.

We took our dirt bikes out to Durango last DH race there and the Hermosa Creek trail was SO MUCH FUN. I had a pretty rough DH practice that first day, but we went out and rode like a 60 mile loop on the motos and I came back just giddy from having so much fun on the trail. :D

So your turn! What do you ride and where? We need to meet up next time you're out in Utah for some riding!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Well, I'm out in Oregon so I do a lot of trail riding. We head over to eastern oregon often because we really like desert though, and of course we go to Moab to ride at least once a year. All the trails you named....love them! We've also hit poison spider, golden spike, gold bar rim trail, metal masher and behind the rocks. So much fun. Oh yeah, my boyfriend proposed on a ride up Kane Creek last fall! That trail is a personal favorite! :heart: :heart:

I ride a 2005 Honda CRF 250x, and because I'm 5'4" tall, I am one of the envious! I had to have my suspension custom done as soon as I got the bike off the show room floor. Devol Engineering lowered the bike by 1.75 inches, put in softer springs, and revalved it all. I can just get my tippy toes to ground and a whole foot if I use the one butt cheek manuver. I just got a Scotts steering stabalizer too and can't wait to get out to the desert and see how it does on some fast stuff. It's great for the rocky oregon trails and I just know it's going to make the whoops and sand better too.

Next time we're headed through Utah I'll have to look you up! Maybe you can show us some new places to ride! I'm so stoked there are some moto-hunnies here too!

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
nice bike ..is it new I thought they stopped making those models..big stepup from a blast no.??

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
DH Diva said:
Well, I'm out in Oregon so I do a lot of trail riding. We head over to eastern oregon often because we really like desert though, and of course we go to Moab to ride at least once a year. All the trails you named....love them! We've also hit poison spider, golden spike, gold bar rim trail, metal masher and behind the rocks. So much fun. Oh yeah, my boyfriend proposed on a ride up Kane Creek last fall! That trail is a personal favorite! :heart: :heart:

I ride a 2005 Honda CRF 250x, and because I'm 5'4" tall, I am one of the envious! I had to have my suspension custom done as soon as I got the bike off the show room floor. Devol Engineering lowered the bike by 1.75 inches, put in softer springs, and revalved it all. I can just get my tippy toes to ground and a whole foot if I use the one butt cheek manuver. I just got a Scotts steering stabalizer too and can't wait to get out to the desert and see how it does on some fast stuff. It's great for the rocky oregon trails and I just know it's going to make the whoops and sand better too.

Next time we're headed through Utah I'll have to look you up! Maybe you can show us some new places to ride! I'm so stoked there are some moto-hunnies here too!
Nice! Yeah - we've hit behind the rocks too (it's also our connector betwen Kane Creek and Pritchett) and have done some of Gold Bar Rim too, now that I think of it - like out Gemini Bridges and connected up that way I think? And for some odd reason I've only done Poison Spider on MTB's, though I bet it's better on a moto. I pretty much only do trail riding myself - granted, a lot of desert trails and some have some good sandy spots, but we've never gone out to the dunes or anything. (Deep sand really isn't my friend... yet, anyway.)

I've been debating getting a new bike or doing some upgrades myself. The fit is fine, but the guys we were riding with on Sunday said my suspension makes it look like I'm riding a big yellow marshmallow. Heh. Which is kindof what it feels like... And I could definitely benefit from a pipe... and dang, a steering stabilizer sounds nice too. I should probably just buy a new bike. My husband has been trying to convince me that I need to buy his WR250 and he'll get a new bike - I'm not so sure about that.

I'm glad to see some moto hunnies too!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
altagirl said:
Nice! Yeah - we've hit behind the rocks too (it's also our connector betwen Kane Creek and Pritchett) and have done some of Gold Bar Rim too, now that I think of it - like out Gemini Bridges and connected up that way I think? And for some odd reason I've only done Poison Spider on MTB's, though I bet it's better on a moto. I pretty much only do trail riding myself - granted, a lot of desert trails and some have some good sandy spots, but we've never gone out to the dunes or anything. (Deep sand really isn't my friend... yet, anyway.)

I've been debating getting a new bike or doing some upgrades myself. The fit is fine, but the guys we were riding with on Sunday said my suspension makes it look like I'm riding a big yellow marshmallow. Heh. Which is kindof what it feels like... And I could definitely benefit from a pipe... and dang, a steering stabilizer sounds nice too. I should probably just buy a new bike. My husband has been trying to convince me that I need to buy his WR250 and he'll get a new bike - I'm not so sure about that.

I'm glad to see some moto hunnies too!
I've never been much of a sand dune person either. I like to stick to the trails, whether they be wooded or desert. I hear the WR250 is a great bike, (literally almost all my riding buddies have WR450's and they all love them). I couldn't go Yamaha because they sit just a bit taller than the equivilant Honda's, but at 5'9" you should be fine on one. But, a new bike would be fun too! :sneaky:

The stabalizer is a must for me now. I have broken both my hands and they used to get really numb and achy when I rode, but not since I got the Scotts. I'm really glad I ponied up and got it, it's made a world of difference.

Man, now I want to go ride my moto!

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I was checking out one of those a few years back and ended up getting a ninja ZX700S only because I could afford one and when I was younger I could not..At that time I spent more time on the dirt then the road and the ninja collected alot of dust, so I sold it and bought a boat thinking the whole family could enjoy that...I picked up a Yamaha phazer last year and it is nice to just sit on a bike and ride...I guess you can have fun on a street bike that is not going 130 or so ..enjoy the the bike and watch out for the idiots on the road....

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
mohshee said:
I just graduated from my Buell Blast to a Kawasaki Z750s -- a motorized addition to my bike collection. It's pretty fun to ride. The dealer said he's not supposed to say this, but it's a "hooligan" bike -- so now I have license to be a hooligan.
<snip>
My little "hooligan", why didn't you show my new bike too, afterall, it was a package deal:

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
ktmsx said:
nice bike ..is it new I thought they stopped making those models..big stepup from a blast no.??
Actually last year was the first year they made the bike for the US. And yes, they are still making them.
Funny thing about the bike we picked up, the kawasaki dealer didn't have any Z750's in stock (and to my knowledge they have only had one in stock since they've been available) and this one ended up at the Buell/Harley dealer about 30 minutes after I left from looking at the Lightning. I'm pretty sure it's the exact same bike I sat on in the Woods funcenter showroom (right next door to the harley dealer and owned by the same person) the summer before.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I am thinking of the ZR700 which I think they must of replaced with this Z750s.??how do you like the buell????.that rotor is freakin huge.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
ktmsx said:
I am thinking of the ZR700 which I think they must of replaced with this Z750s.??how do you like the buell????.that rotor is freakin huge.
The Z750s wasn't really a replacement for anything. It's been available in Europe and Japan for awhile now and after Standards and Nakeds started making a come back in the US Kawasaki decided to release it in the US too. In a lot of ways its a slimmed down version of the Z1000 with a functional half fairing thrown in for good measure.

As for the Buell, i'm loving it so far but I haven't had a chance to really do much with it yet. It's been raining the last 2 days and I'm still early into the break-in stage so I'm taking it easy.
And yes, the rotor is huge and is actually bolted onto the rim itself. According to Erik Buell this allows for a wheel that is stronger yet lighter than the wheels on other sport bikes.