Quantcast

NBR: Cost of living in Eastern WA.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I know it's cheaper than the Seattle area, but does the cut in pay make it worth it to move over there?

Thanks, Snacks.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Friend lives/works in Moses Lake. It is really cheap out there. He works at the Eastern WA plant but was offered a 'small' raise to work in Redmond. He would have been losing money moving to Seattle...no question.

Now he duck hunts and stuff so Moses lake is a good location. It works for him. You grew up in the Tri Cities, Right? You know how it is over there. The trick is getting a job that is the same as here.....and then lowering your cost of living. Then you actually get a raise. :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I have thought about moving out to Ellensburg if I was able to get a job there......Even at a couple grand less it would be a BIG pull. RatPac, Taneum Rodge, Manastash Ridge, Lions Rock, etc......plenty of stuff to keep my entertained and I have a old college buddythat lives there and works at CWU now.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Whats cheaper out there? Just land/rent right? Stuff at the store still costs the same, and gas is probably close..... How cheap is cheap to you? We bought 5 acres with a nice home, shop/garage, and a RV car port for 189,000.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Yep, Tri-Cities, but I left right out of highschool and just go back to visit my parents every couple of months. Really haven't kept up on the local economy.

The housing is real cheap compared to here, in the Seattle area. You can get a house in Spokane, the second largest city in the state, for under $100k.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
so your 100k house in spokaine compares to what price house in seattle?
I would say $250K.

I bought a house in 1998 for $165K, had it appraised to get the PMI off last month and it's now up to $260K, and we haven't done anything to it in the past 5 years.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
We did really good moving to tri-cities... my dad got a raise and its cheaper to live here! we sold our 15-year-old house in kirkland for like 400k, then bought a 4-year-old one here that was not quite as big for like 220k. plus you get unlimited irrigation water for i think $350 per year. i've noticed some restaurants (not chain ones though) are cheaper here, probably because the owners are not as snobby :devil: . only thing is the people are more conservative here. but maybe that's a plus for you. good thing about conservatives here is that they don't care where you build jumps or trails--in fact, some lady gave me and my friend access to her hose to build jumps right next to her house (crazy).

anyway, its far cheaper to live on the eastside, so i'd say move here :D

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
freeridekid said:
We did really good moving to tri-cities... my dad got a raise and its cheaper to live here! we sold our 15-year-old house in kirkland for like 400k, then bought a 4-year-old one here that was not quite as big for like 220k. plus you get unlimited irrigation water for i think $350 per year. i've noticed some restaurants (not chain ones though) are cheaper here, probably because the owners are not as snobby :devil: . only thing is the people are more conservative here. but maybe that's a plus for you. good thing about conservatives here is that they don't care where you build jumps or trails--in fact, some lady gave me and my friend access to her hose to build jumps right next to her house (crazy).

anyway, its far cheaper to live on the eastside, so i'd say move here :D
Yes, it is more conservative over there. My parents still live there and are hard core GW fans :oink:

Funny you mention building jumping were ever you want....there is a vacant lot down the street from my parents house and it's full of dirt jumps. It has been like that for years!

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Snacks said:
Yes, it is more conservative over there. My parents still live there and are hard core GW fans :oink:

Funny you mention building jumping were ever you want....there is a vacant lot down the street from my parents house and it's full of dirt jumps. It has been like that for years!
where's that? :D

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
I guess it all boils down to what you want out of where you live? In addition to rent, land, gas, power, property taxes, etc being cheaper... grocery store food is cheaper in smaller town, as opposed to the larger city suburbs.

There are many more things that are cheaper... some things will still cost the same. I lived in Chicago before moving back to Wash, and when I moved moved back I took a SERIOUS pay cut, but to me, it was worth it. I'm happier here and I love the area. (I live in Wenathcee by the way).

Also take into account, your commute to work? for some it can be anywhere from 30 min to 90 min... you wont' have that in a smaller town.

There's lot of pros and cons... just boils down to what you want more.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DHRacer said:
I guess it all boils down to what you want out of where you live? In addition to rent, land, gas, power, property taxes, etc being cheaper... grocery store food is cheaper in smaller town, as opposed to the larger city suburbs.

There are many more things that are cheaper... some things will still cost the same. I lived in Chicago before moving back to Wash, and when I moved moved back I took a SERIOUS pay cut, but to me, it was worth it. I'm happier here and I love the area. (I live in Wenathcee by the way).

Also take into account, your commute to work? for some it can be anywhere from 30 min to 90 min... you wont' have that in a smaller town.

There's lot of pros and cons... just boils down to what you want more.
Good points DHRacer..I was hoping you'd respond.

The money really isn't that important to me, I don't have any bills, and enough in savings to keep me going for a while. I would easily scarifice money for the enjoyment of living in a smaller town.

I have only driven though Wenatchee for races and riding a the Gulch, but I like the dry heat and the terrian.

I guess all I need to do now is find a job!

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Snacks said:

The money really isn't that important to me, I don't have any bills, and enough in savings to keep me going for a while. I would easily scarifice money for the enjoyment of living in a smaller town.

I have only driven though Wenatchee for races and riding a the Gulch, but I like the dry heat and the terrian.

Are you leaving us? :confused:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
As much as I bitch about $$$ here on the harbor - everything is cheaper including gas and food. I have a 2100 square foot home that I paid $85,000 for and the property taxes are just $1,100. I can make it just fine on about $2,000.00 a month - I haven't even had a steady job in 3 years. I say go cheap and and enjoy the good things in life - they're free anyway. :thumb:

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Snacks said:

What line of work are you in? Or what are you looking to get into (if there is a difference)?

Let me know via pm or email and I'll let you know what possibilities are in this area, or, at least point you in right direction with a contact somewhere... sometimes all you need is a name to get a foot in the door.

And you're spot on about the dry heat... i love it. Chicago was WAY too humid for me.