Quantcast

NBR.. Whats your favorite looking web site

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm a caveman and still use dialup at home, my biggest turn off about any site is flash. If I have to wait for more than 30 seconds before the first bit of text or first graphic to appear I'm going to hit the back button or type something different into the address bar. If I see a loading splash screen it might as well say "Stop loading this page now, if you choose to proceede you'll find yourself wasting time waiting for white screens to turn up some useless and misleading information." I can't think of a single web site that really blows me away. Some of the university web pages are pretty easy to move through, considering the amount of information they have, but they're usually not the most visually appealing.

Come to think of it, my favorite site is google. There aren't any distracting ads or graphics, just an adaptive google logo and a text box with a handfull of options. You type what you want and it finds it. I wish I could say the same thing about most technology sites, especially if your searching for information about a discontinued product. I spent over an hour on sony's website looking for an AC adaptor for an old camcorder. I wasn't able to find the information on sony's website to save my life, I had to search google for the model number of the camcorder and some keyword, after sifting through several dozen websites I found one that referanced Sony's part number. I typed that part number in to an obvious search box on Sony's website and got no hits, I had to guess at a long string of links to get a search discontinued parts page. If you're going to have a search function make sure it searches the entire site, as well as any related site that might be useful.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
atrokz said:
takes about 10 seconds over here.

Maybe quebec's service installed your cables backwards :)

but anyways, their site is jsut for show of what is capable with flash. It's cool, and it has good visuals.

For a more "user friendly site" DW, check out: http://www.hjchelmets.com/

very easy to flow through.
Considering I am on an 8Mbit connection and a 3Mbit connetion, I highly doubt it.

Waiting while they have some ridiculous animation is ridiculous, not to mention i absolutely LOATHE wesbites that use sound. It serves 0 purpose. Flash serves almost no use 99.9% of the time.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Transcend said:
It serves 0 purpose. Flash serves almost no use 99.9% of the time.
SPoken like an individual with aboslutely no style.

Sound has an excellent purpose, TO MAKE NOISE. Its an excellent tool to add a little style to your site, as long as its not too intrusive and doesn't shoot the load times through the roof. Flash is the same. Used correctly, it adds style that nothing else can compare to.

From the way you talk, all websites should be text on a white background.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dropmachine.com said:
SPoken like an individual with aboslutely no style.

Sound has an excellent purpose, TO MAKE NOISE. Its an excellent tool to add a little style to your site, as long as its not too intrusive and doesn't shoot the load times through the roof. Flash is the same. Used correctly, it adds style that nothing else can compare to.

From the way you talk, all websites should be text on a white background.
Sure thing buddy. Remember that most of the users on the internet are still on dialup. IE: flash only serves the purpose of wasting bandwidth and time. Sound ads NOTHING to a website. 0. Nada.

When i mouseover a link, I don't want it to snap crackle or pop. I just want it to take me somwhere useful (which should be clearly defined). I want content. Substance is 100x more important than wank presentation.

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Some people WANT to see cool **** and are not in a life or death rush where 1 wasted second could trigger a cardiac arrest, i agree some sites should be all simple and easy but the internet isn't just for those types of sites. Some people enjoy spending a bit of time exploring and seeing pretty pictures and GOSH hearing some sound to add to the experience. Open you mind just a little man...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Transcend said:
Sure thing buddy. Remember that most of the users on the internet are still on dialup. IE: flash only serves the purpose of wasting bandwidth and time. Sound ads NOTHING to a website. 0. Nada.

When i mouseover a link, I don't want it to snap crackle or pop. I just want it to take me somwhere useful (which should be clearly defined). I want content. Substance is 100x more important than wank presentation.
Again, I will point out that even on dial up, if done correctly flash can load quickly and play efficiently. And again, flash can add a style element that cannot be duplicated by anything else out there.

Sound is the same thing. Its a small thing, but it can add a style element and entertains viewers like nothing else. It doesn't have to be huge, or overwhelming, but it does have its place.

And since when does using flash or sound mean that content gets sacrificed? Theres no rule that says you can have one or the other.

Perhaps you should learn that not everybody on the web is here just to get the content they want and run. The web is entertainment as well, and those two elements are two ways of adding to that entertainment. Last time I checked, "the web according to Fraser Britton" wasn't the standard. If people wanted that, they would just sit and read text files all day. All content, all the time!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dropmachine.com said:
Again, I will point out that even on dial up, if done correctly flash can load quickly and play efficiently.

Sound is the same thing. Its a small thing, but it can add a style element and entertains viewers like nothing else. It doesn't have to be huge, or overwhelming, but it does have its place.

And since when does using flash or sound mean that content gets sacrificed? Theres no rule that says you can have one or the other.
On point one, i agree, only most of the time it isn't done tastefully or efficiently. Flash for the sake of flash is retarded. Flash for content (ie: the ski run maps) is super efficient and really the only way to do it.

On point 2, we will agree to disagree. I think sound on a website is distracting. Most of that goes to point one again, almost always done with gaudy techno and loud annoying mouse over blings.

point 3 once again comes back to both of the above, flash doesnt mean content has to be sacrificed (again ski thing, custom car thing from subaru etc), only the vast majority of times it is horrid. It seemslike these hacks put 100 hours of work into a flashy blingin' display, and forget that the site is there for another reason.

Remember that altho it is entertaining, the point of every site out there, bar almost none, is to convery some sort of content. Be it news, images, product details, an opinion etc. You have a website for a reason...if figuring out what that is takes forever, it is a waste of money.

My biggest irk are sites that have GREAT content, decent presentation, but that have a navigation system so ridiculous that the site is unuseable. Those annoy me to no end.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
On that we agree. That Donnie Darko is a great example of that. I couldn't figure it out, and it was annoying.

I am going to hack Transcend tonight and add 6 meg flash intros with techno music and monty python quotes when you mouse over anything. ;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dropmachine.com said:
On that we agree. That Donnie Darko is a great example of that. I couldn't figure it out, and it was annoying.

I am going to hack Transcend tonight and add 6 meg flash intros with techno music and monty python quotes when you mouse over anything. ;)
I fart in your general direction!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
This is an example of what not to do
If your going to go flash at least have an html option so us flash haters can still use it.

Flash is cool the first time but it gets old quick.

*edit* that site is for the company I used to work for. They made it better. There used to be a really horrible entrance page that wasn't obvious how to get past it. They added cool music too.
The company still sucks

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
oly said:
that was cool for like 3 minutes then i couldnt go anywhere... nothing worked.... i lost intrest.....
its like a game, and it solves the movie for you basically. i havnt done the whole thing yet i need to watch the movie again. its damn creative you gotta give it that, and almost creepy

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Transcend said:
On point one, i agree, only most of the time it isn't done tastefully or efficiently. Flash for the sake of flash is retarded. Flash for content (ie: the ski run maps) is super efficient and really the only way to do it.

On point 2, we will agree to disagree. I think sound on a website is distracting. Most of that goes to point one again, almost always done with gaudy techno and loud annoying mouse over blings.

point 3 once again comes back to both of the above, flash doesnt mean content has to be sacrificed (again ski thing, custom car thing from subaru etc), only the vast majority of times it is horrid. It seemslike these hacks put 100 hours of work into a flashy blingin' display, and forget that the site is there for another reason.

Remember that altho it is entertaining, the point of every site out there, bar almost none, is to convery some sort of content. Be it news, images, product details, an opinion etc. You have a website for a reason...if figuring out what that is takes forever, it is a waste of money.

My biggest irk are sites that have GREAT content, decent presentation, but that have a navigation system so ridiculous that the site is unuseable. Those annoy me to no end.
I really dig the flash stuff that Volkswagon uses on their site. It loads up pretty quickly and if you want vw nerd info it's presented in a really good way. Click on any model car and then go to the engineering section. You can then click on engines and get a breakdown of all of the availble options and how they are all different. Very cool. It's seems like a good mix where you have easy navigation but with informative and visually interesting content.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dropmachine.com said:
Its neat, but its also got all the problems that pure flash sites have, ie. no favorites, can't just click back, can't save pics...

it also gets annoying to surf the 4th or 5th time.
EXACTLY, that took some serious time, but not an optimal website