Quantcast

NCS Finals Payout??? How???

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
So in my neverending quest to name drop and try to be cool....

I was motoin at the track yesterday and it was F-ing hot, but as I was sitting on my tailgate about to pass out from the heat Jared Rando walks up and says hey. I was trippin, he was there with Panozzo and Aaron Peters (who showed me some nasty lack of movement from breakin his elbow). They are here in So Cal before heading out to Utah for the NCS.

I got to talkin Panozzo and congratulating him on his win in aspen and I got to thinking...how can we get something going to have a NORBA finals DH prize purse?? I know there is the Go-Ride Bounty, but I want to start a little fund to pay out in vermont. Like Panozzo didnt make jack sh!t in aspen. This is so NOT a dig on Go-Ride, because they deserve mega props for doing what they are doing, I just want guys like Panozzo (non US riders to make a little bling).

Anyone have an idea how we could get a BOUNTY going for EVERYONE, not just the american riders, like-the riders that actually do win? Someone get a plan going and I will write the check.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Isn't fox handing out payouts now as well?

That said I would love to help out with a fund like this - those guys deserve more then a kick in the ass. Besides Joel has been a friend for 5 or 6 years now..of all epople he deserves something for a nice big win.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Yes, you are right....but I would like to see some sort of a bounty for non american riders. Ok, wait, that sounded wrong. I would like to see a bounty for ALL riders, not just the top americans.

BTW, Panozzo did mention the Fox payout and was stoked! I just want to see these guys make more....and I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
There is the e.thirteen Summer Bonus also, a check to the pro Men's and Women's DH and 4X overall champs. This goes to the overall winners, no matter what county they live in. Checks presented by yours truly on behalf of e.thirteen.

dw

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Here's a copy of the press release from June-

-Press Release- for immediate distribution 6-27-05

e.thirteen compoenents annonces its Summer Bonus program

In an effort to boost international participation and visibility of the SHIMANO NORBA National Mountain Bike Series (NMBS), e.thirteen components is proud to announce its “Summer Bonus” program.

E.thirteen’s Summer Bonus picks up where the other generous NMBS sponsors have left off: by awarding the series overall champions of men’s and women’s Pro DH and 4X events with a cash prize for their hard-earned accomplishments.

John Pentecost, Business Director of e.thirteen components, commented, “We were very excited to see other sponsors step up to offer cash prizes at individual NMBS events, but there seemed to be a need for someone to come forward and front a respectable cash prize to the overall series winners. Our Summer Bonus program is intended to reward those professional gravity riders who work hard all summer, traveling thousands of miles to compete in and win the National Mountain Bike Series.”

e.thirteen components is a rider-owned and operated company that supports dozens of grassroots races, series, contests and other riding events all over the country every year. In addition to strong support of gravity and freeride events, e.thirteen also works hard to promote and support the burgeoning street and park riding scenes. Founded in 2001, e.thirteen now supports a worldwide distribution network.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Pretty simple, raise the fees $10 per rider per class with a payout and pay it to the guys(girls) on the podium

ie 60 riders = $600 pool $300 to 1st, $150 to 2nd, $100 to 3rd, $50 to 4th...

I doubt you will get any real sponsor money without TV, and without TV you have no marketing power..........

I define real sponsor money as money from company that a manufactures a product unrelated to the bike industry that choses to advertise to that demographic.. ie beverages/auto/electronics/food etc

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Msisle Dad said:
Pretty simple, raise the fees $10 per rider per class with a payout and pay it to the guys(girls) on the podium

I doubt you will get any real sponsor money without TV, and without TV you have no marketing power..........
raise entries?...i say if pro's don't make or break the series...which i have heard before.....why not put all the entry money back into a purse.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Msisle Dad said:

I define real sponsor money as money from company that a manufactures a product unrelated to the bike industry that choses to advertise to that demographic.. ie beverages/auto/electronics/food etc

No. They raise fees anyways and it goes elsewhere. They already charge way way too much.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Another thought is contengency money... It's nice that e13 and fox have stepped up to fund purses. Do many companies offer contingency's for top 5 finishes? I believe GT does...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It is not up to sponsors to help fund a crappy series. They race needs to pay out, not the teams...who are already forking over $ for basically nothing at this point.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Transcend said:
No. They raise fees anyways and it goes elsewhere. They already charge way way too much.
True... In your opinion what should payout be for winning an NCS race?

I have an idea, but i'm interested in your thought

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Transcend said:
It is not up to sponsors to help fund a crappy series. They race needs to pay out, not the teams...who are already forking over $ for basically nothing at this point.
It's up to the promoters to market the series to sponsors, which in turn creates popularity, which is value. If the series had real promotion there would be money. NORBA has to step out of the box and hire a consultant to gain a handle on exposing the series...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Msisle Dad said:
True... In your opinion what should payout be for winning an NCS race?

I have an idea, but i'm interested in your thought
in the money hayday, my athletes were making about $2500 to win a slalom and $2500 to win a DH. I know Leigh and Brian won $7000 for the overall from Norba one year.

World Cups have been as high as $3200 to win back in the day.

Contingency money is a whole other gig, I am talking about getting prize money for guys that dont make any contingency/bonus.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
bizutch said:
75 riders x $75.00 = $5625.00 = $2000.00 1st, $1200.00 2nd, $900.00 3rd, $500.00 4th, $300.00 5th...etc.

to me this would be unreasonable to expect. You also put the cost of undewriting the cost of the series on the amateurs back. You would have to raise the entry fees and they would walk...

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
What i can't understand is how they can't get any money. I haven't neen to a USCF local race that didn't have a cash payout, so how can they afford it and a "national" series not. Hell even a 4 race on the road gets cash.

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
stiksandstones said:
in the money hayday, my athletes were making about $2500 to win a slalom and $2500 to win a DH. I know Leigh and Brian won $7000 for the overall from Norba one year.

Contingency money is a whole other gig, I am talking about getting prize money for guys that dont make any contingency/bonus.
Stik...
You are a good resource for this stuff....

Why do you think that the american attendance pro turnout at the US Open was fairly low when the international turnout was huge? I think the event had over 400 racers, but the topshelf USA racers werent all there.... Why do they bitch about not having a cash purse in DH, and support the races that DONT have purses when there ARE events that DO offer the goods. $5k to first at the US Open and the Aussies sweep the podium? kinda sad for USA racing.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
stiksandstones said:

It's not big money but a nice bonus for doing something you love. If we got to those levels in 2006 do you think that racers would be happy?

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
thespackler said:
Stik...

Why do you think that the american attendance pro turnout at the US Open was fairly low when the international turnout was huge? I think the event had over 400 racers, but the topshelf USA racers werent all there.... Why do they bitch about not having a cash purse in DH, and support the races that DONT have purses when there ARE events that DO offer the goods. $5k to first at the US Open and the Aussies sweep the podium? kinda sad for USA racing.
My guess would be that the top US guys are not in it for the payout, but are compensated by salary

Also.the Aussies seem to want it more..

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
thespackler said:
Stik...

What top Shelf US racer wasen't there? EC, and Colin are the only ones i can think of, and they were both hurt.

You'd be suprised how little most of the top guys are making.

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
Im not complaining..just sad to see racing in the USA at a low-point.

I was at Diablo 2 weekends ago and the rumor up there is that they have secured a non-industry sponsor and the purse for next year may be up to $50k.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
WheelieMan said:
Some of us race to have fun, and not to win money you know...

And realistically, if all of the top aussies attend a race, is it likely that an american will have a chance?

I wonder how much thespackler is raking in......

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
thespackler said:
Im not complaining..just sad to see racing in the USA at a low-point.

I was at Diablo 2 weekends ago and the rumor up there is that they have secured a non-industry sponsor and the purse for next year may be up to $50k.
Really, why can't Norba hire someone like this? Who is in charge of securing sponsors for that series? Sounds like they are able to work miracles.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
At our local race this weekend there was a payout for top 10 fastest riders, regardless of class. Experts can even get paid. 8th place got his entry $$$.
Entry was only $25. I paid $40 including a late fee and a practice day fee.

Why cant norba have a payout with $75 entry fees?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
thespackler said:
Yeah, as someone mentioned, I think a lot of talent was there. As Zutroy said, there are not many fast american riders in DH...so I think most were there (DK, Van Dine, etc). But I will say this based on my experiences. A LOT of scheduling is planned by some people in a marketing office at a bike company that have not been to an event in years. They hear terms like US OPEN and dont get it. They are so used to the term "The Nationals" that some (and luckily this thought is becoming more open minded) teams dont get a chance to make it to cool "OTHER" events.

These promoters of other events, need to stay on the horn to get teams to come. I know when I had some say in what races would end up on our schedule, i wouldnt pay attention to an invite unless I was sold on it, over and over, Because then I had to sell it to my bosses on where to go-which was always a battle.

I think the days of "factory team" are drying up, and more guys like Brian Lopes and Steve Peat will become the norm. Where they do their own thing, make their own schedules and go where the cool races are. Look at Hyundai/mongoose/gt, they cant say they dont wanna goto a NCS race to protest (like Intense is doing, or Santa Cruz, or MadCatz/IronHorse) because they have to succomb to the Hyundai pressure of going to wank events-Hyundai is so clueless about what is going on with racing (thank god).

anyway, hope that answered the question.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
stiksandstones said:
So in my neverending quest to name drop and try to be cool....

I was motoin at the track yesterday and it was F-ing hot, but as I was sitting on my tailgate about to pass out from the heat Jared Rando walks up and says hey. I was trippin, he was there with Panozzo and Aaron Peters (who showed me some nasty lack of movement from breakin his elbow). They are here in So Cal before heading out to Utah for the NCS.

I got to talkin Panozzo and congratulating him on his win in aspen and I got to thinking...how can we get something going to have a NORBA finals DH prize purse?? I know there is the Go-Ride Bounty, but I want to start a little fund to pay out in vermont. Like Panozzo didnt make jack sh!t in aspen. This is so NOT a dig on Go-Ride, because they deserve mega props for doing what they are doing, I just want guys like Panozzo (non US riders to make a little bling).

Anyone have an idea how we could get a BOUNTY going for EVERYONE, not just the american riders, like-the riders that actually do win? Someone get a plan going and I will write the check.
Stik,

I think that in order to make it as legit and prominent as possible, you should get an agreement done with NORBA / USAC to sponsor a certain race, or the whole 2005 NORBA National Mountain Bike Series, or the Series winners, on behalf of Tangerine, or Stik, or whoever.

Now, this is the important part, in that contract you specify who gets the money and how it is distributed. In return, you, as sponsor, get what you want out of it, say logo on website, mailers, signage at event, logo on all press releases, etc, whatever it is you want and is fair. Sorry if this seems basic, but I truly feel that it's just that easy.

So, for example, say Tangerine wanted to provide payouts to the Top 10 Pro, Semi-Pro, and Women's Pro, you would say something like . . . .

On behalf of Tangerine Clothing Boutique, we are providing $5500 to NORBA. This $5500 will be split with $500 to NORBA for administrative costs of this sponsorship arrangement, and $5000 to be used as pro payout for the individual Downhill event winners at the Mt. Snow NORBA Finals to be held on August 28, 2005, and shall be disbursed as followed:
Pro Men and Pro Women ($2500/class paid out to Top 10 finishers)
1st Place = 30.0% = $600
2nd Place = 17.5% = $350
3rd Place = 12.5% = $250
4th Place = 10.0% = $200
5th Place = 5.0% = $100
6th Place = 5.0% = $100
7th Place = 5.0% = $100
8th Place = 5.0% = $100
9th Place = 5.0% = $100
10th Place = 5.0% = $100

Semi-Pro Men ($1000 paid out to Top 10 finishers)
1st Place = 30.0% = $300
2nd Place = 17.5% = $175
3rd Place = 12.5% = $125
4th Place = 10.0% = $100
5th Place = 5.0% = $50
6th Place = 5.0% = $50
7th Place = 5.0% = $50
8th Place = 5.0% = $50
9th Place = 5.0% = $50
10th Place = 5.0% = $50

In return for sponsoring these results, Tangerine Clothing Boutique and NORBA agrees that the Tangerine logo will be placed on all event advertising and media releases. In addition, representative(s) of Tangerine will be onsite at the event and will be attending the awards ceremony and will present each attending finisher listed above the corresponding reward listed above, with ceremonious checks to be provided to the podium finishers. Tangerine requests that the ceremony announcer provide time for this representative(s) to present these rewards and accurately state this sponsorhship arrangement adequately during the event and at the awards ceremony.

You can present whatever you want. If NORBA doesn't/isn't willing to accept it, then they are stuipid. If they don't agree with what you present, then you negotiate until you come up with something that is fair. And if you don't come up with something fair, then you walk, or do something like E-13 is doing. But it doesn't appear that too many people knew of their Summer Bonus program thus why I suggest you get something (PR) in return for putting out some money.

And don't anyone bash me with the amounts and percentages that I came up with, nor the generalalization or specifics that I discussed. I just threw something down that I'd like to see and what I think is fair. BTW, please notice that they payouts would allow the top 10 riders in each class to at least get their entry fee back.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
wait so when i go to the snowshoe nats in 2 weeks where will my 55 bucks be going exactly. because i just recieved a stupid flyer asking for money today but on the flyer all i saw was roadies. roadies get payed right? as part of the us cycling team they get all this good ****. where are the downhillers? and why is my money going to send lance to france?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Maybe I'm getting the organizers mixed up. I know one of our local series, has tiny payouts, no course work investments, high entry fees, lousy shuttles, and the production company has several year round employees. I have no idea what they do for the rest of the year.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Pbody, no bashing...nice reply.

Thing is, I do not want to have ANYTHING to do with NORBA or the promoters of the event.

Ideally, if Go-Ride could do the same exact thing they are doing-but allow non-US riders to get it on some of the dough. I really like what they are doing, but would like to see EVERYONE being able to get some.

Hell, maybe I will just give MonkDawg some cash and have him walk up on the podium in vermont and give a few bucks away.

Anyway, thanks for lengthy post, appreciated.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
I've always thought that the way the insurance is structured with norba causes the stupidly high entry and no prize money. Correct me if im wrong, but we pay norba to get insurance if you wreck yourself, and we also pay their liability insurance too. But then doesnt our race entry go to pay the resorts several insurance policies too. Seems like we are getting shafted into paying double the insurance coverage so the TBB guys can live the high life. :stosh: