Quantcast

Need 24" BMX Race Bike Suggestions...

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
So......

A track just opened up 5-10 minutes from my house; plus there is another track about 25 minutes away. I think I'm going to give the 30+ Cruiser class a try. I raced "way back when" but that was a lifetime ago!

So, I need a bike....and I don't want to spend a whole lot (for the time being). I was looking at the FMF Pro Cruiser. Reasonably priced, light (24 lbs.), etc.

Thoughts on this bike? Other suggestions? I have a max budget of $400

Thanks!

P.S.

Can anyone recommend "new school" BMX racing sites?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
USB Molly Maguire - haha. I won the Old Man Open and got 2nd in cruiser class on mine at Whip City BMX this summer.

But seriously, if you have a 26" or 24" DJ rig why not race that until you know if you want to really get into racing or not. Cruiser geometry hasn't changed much since the 80's - IIRC, my 1985 Profile Cruiser had very close specs to an S&M RV24. My USB on the other hand has shorter chainstays and a longer top tube. Plus having a sussy fork helped me at the last race as a couple of the berms were very bumpy. On smooth tracks a light race cruiser will be faster but just saying you might already have a bike that could work.

I you don't the complete's that Cru listed will be plenty fine. A buddy from BITD got a RedLine complete and he seemed to do plenty fine with it. Try www.vintagebmx.com - their "new school" race forum seems to get a lot of traffic and probably has people posting that go to your local tracks. There might even be a line on a used cruiser in their classifieds.

Have fun, racing is great as long as it doesn't get too serious (i.e. stay away from clips! :D)

jjchgo

Chimp
Apr 11, 2006
out of all my cruisers i would highly recomend Porter if you can find one. they have been out of business for while now but ever so often they pop up on ebay. behind that i also really like my bontrager b-29 cruiser.

cheers,

jj

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
out of all my cruisers i would highly recomend Porter if you can find one. they have been out of business for while now but ever so often they pop up on ebay. behind that i also really like my bontrager b-29 cruiser.

cheers,

jj
Good call on the Porter! I just cleaned the dust off of mine so I can start hitting the BMX scene again. The Porter ride so damn nice, and look great doing it!!

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I forgot all about this thread! I doubt if anyone cares but I figured that I would post this just for the fun of it (sort of a X-post from the lounge).

After several months or not riding much at all, I purchased this on Saturday morning (saw it and had to have it kinda thing). Certainly not as high-end as a lot of people's rides, but fun nonetheless. Got it for just a little over 4 bills..

I'll be hitting the track twice a week until my skills come back!

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Looks awesome! I'm also in the market for a 24" race bike.

Did you try out the Intense pro cruiser?? Or any other for that matter. I know Intense is available through Jenson so it would be easy to order.

Anyway, post pics of you riding it!

Jon Kerr

Chimp
Jan 30, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
I got a Haro SR24 a couple of months ago. I'm loving it. At the bike shop I rode both the Haro and the Intense around the lot. They both felt very similar (granted I wasn't on a race track so there may be some difference in the feel of them at speed) and they both weighed about the same in stock form. The Haro was nearly $100 cheaper so that's what I went with. Plus I like the black a hell of a lot better than a Zebra striped frame. ;)

Last edited:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
SE Bikes Floval Flyer (posted earlier) is a nice complete for the money. I was actually going to get the Om Flyer (26") and race at a new ABA track that was going to be built nearby. I had big plans to replace a bunch of stuff like a gold King headset, gold Profile chainwheel ect. But the land owner backed out and the track is on hold.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
SE Bikes Floval Flyer (posted earlier) is a nice complete for the money. I was actually going to get the Om Flyer (26") and race at a new ABA track that was going to be built nearby. I had big plans to replace a bunch of stuff like a gold King headset, gold Profile chainwheel ect. But the land owner backed out and the track is on hold.
That sucks man. If I didn't have a track right in town and another 20 mins away I probably wouldn't have gotten back into it - but I do and I'm still super stoked I bought this thing. I've been having some asthma problems as of late though so I still haven't been on the track....hopefully this week it will happen.