Quantcast

Need a new brake - nu or old school

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Just can't get my trusty Dia compe ad990 to work. Problem is the blocks on the rim I'm using ( Faction 22 rim). I need some sticky pads and can't find 'em in that old block set up. Tried everthing else.
Need a modern brake with threaded blocks. Question... Odyssey brake or fly, which are quite expensive... or Dia compe hombre, which is cheap? Or someting else? Thanks...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Just can't get my trusty Dia compe ad990 to work. Problem is the blocks on the rim I'm using ( Faction 22 rim). I need some sticky pads and can't find 'em in that old block set up. Tried everthing else.
Need a modern brake with threaded blocks. Question... Odyssey brake or fly, which are quite expensive... or Dia compe hombre, which is cheap? Or someting else? Thanks...

What do you mean by "blocks" ?

I took sticky brake pads (the gummy clear ones in the pic below) from some Salt (We The People) brakes, and put them on the Faction brakes (Tektro?), and they work great. I'm using a Dia-Tech 99 lever, which is almost the same as a Dia-Compe Tech 77 lever (classic).

I personally feel like a u-brake is a u-brake in terms of the strength of the pull. There may be differences in hardware, pads, or in how much the arms flex... but in my experience almost any u-brake can be adjusted to work really well. The main problem is usually the brake cable & housing not being lubed well and/or having kinks, or a crappy lever. Levers matter a lot--if you think about the physics of it... "leverage" is where your power comes from.

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
As cmc said, any brakes can be set up to work very well. Lube everything but the rims. No idea where to get soft pads for your brakes but buying expensive brakes wont make your bike stop better....

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I agree. I think in this case it's just a matter of the pads being too hard for this kind of rim. I guess I could rough up the rim ... or i'll probably just get the hombre brake and then I will have a nice choice of pads I can use.