Quantcast

Need a new fork for the street/commuter bike

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
I want to give my Commencal Absolut CroMo a late christmas present - it's getting new 24" wheels (Sun Double Tracks on halo bulb front/woodman SS rear), new brakes (Hope Minis) and I want to get rid of the POS dirt jams that are currently on it too.

I've been offered an 05 Fox Vanilla RLC for £200 or 07 Argyle 318s (the white ones) for £225. I don't want to have to faff a lot with maintenance, just want it to work without fuss.

Which should I go for?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
fox definitely isn't 20mm thru axle. i think that will be the deciding factor in your purchase. if the hub is 20mm, then argyle, if not, fox. the argyle is heavier duty though, so it will take abuse longer than the fox, but the fox is really well made.

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
The guy selling the new wheels is offering either 20mm or QR adaptors so that's not an issue... I was leaning towards the argyle for just that reason ZHendo, I know the fox is probably smoother and plusher but a street fork doesn't have to cope with small ripples nearly as much as brute-force thuds from my dodgy landings.

Argyles it is then, I suppose...

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
Aaand.. the bloody things just got sold from out under my nose. Arse.

New options now include a pair of 2007 Dirt Jumper 2s, but the 20mm axle on that needs an allen key to get it off, doesn't it? I have to remove the front wheel a lot to chuck the bike in the car so that would be a lot of faffing about.