Quantcast

need a new knee shin guards

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Race Face Rally FR, best armor I've tried to date.

I hear good things about Troy Lee too.

BEAUster

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Boston, MA
well i originally had roach rally fr, which were great and very comfortable. but they were coming unstitched, so i sent them back. 3 weeks later they still haven't recieved them. so they sent me brand new ones! thats what i call good costumer support. but the only thing is, i recieved the rally dh instead of the fr. the dh's have a lot more protection but will probally be a little hotter. they have the knee stabilizer, air channel on the inside, mesh on the back, etc. they will take a few days to get used to or break in but they seem pretty good. if you are doing a lot of dh, i highly recommend the dh's and knowing that you have a good company to back them up, is a good feeling

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Roach/Race Face Rally DH, or the FR if you're pedalling uphill. The break-in period is a couple rides, but once you get that, they're simply awesome. I cannot begin to describe how well these pads protect (my last crash which didn't hurt at all was me going over the bars at about 10mph down lower Hornet, and I landed first and only on my knees, and the pads stayed in place and worked perfectly. The ground was rocky hardpack, and I slid a bit, but no impact or abraisive damage at all).

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I just got the new Troy Lee's, I like the protection and being able to put the on & off without taking your shoes off, but I'm having problems with them staying up without having to crank them tight where they cut into my skin.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Frankenschwinn said:
Good choice, Its what I have and I love them. you may want to get a size smaller than you think you need though.
I quote to magnify the importance, they run large!

Honestly the FR are all the protection I need and breathe a little better.

Ratfink

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
SoCal
Troy Lee Combat guards!!! I've been using them for the last 3 years or so. Great protection, good fit and they don't slip down.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've got the Roach Rally FR and love 'em, especially the wrap-around knee cap. I used to always smack the inside of my knees with my old fox 911 pads, no longer a problem. The dh will give you even more protection but will be hotter.

Does anyone know if the plastic knee and shin caps are thicker on the dh version? People always talk about the extra padding all around, especially behind the legs, but are the plastic bits any heavier?

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
I just ordered a set of Troy Lee combats to replace my 661 Race Knees. Ill post a mini review once I get a little bit of riding time in. From what I hear, the Troy Lees are a little more lightweight then the Roach FRs but offer more than adequate protection. Sounds good to me.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
The Kadvang said:
I just ordered a set of Troy Lee combats to replace my 661 Race Knees. Ill post a mini review once I get a little bit of riding time in. From what I hear, the Troy Lees are a little more lightweight then the Roach FRs but offer more than adequate protection. Sounds good to me.
the TLD's indeed offer plenty of protection and even if they appear to be hot, they are not. They are well ventilated and breathe pretty well.

BEAUster

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Boston, MA
OGRipper said:
I've got the Roach Rally FR and love 'em, especially the wrap-around knee cap. I used to always smack the inside of my knees with my old fox 911 pads, no longer a problem. The dh will give you even more protection but will be hotter.

Does anyone know if the plastic knee and shin caps are thicker on the dh version? People always talk about the extra padding all around, especially behind the legs, but are the plastic bits any heavier?
the plastic is the same, but there is a crap load more of foam padding.

also, on the rally dh, anyone know how to correctly position the kneew stabilizer? i just got mine today, after wearing them it didn't seem to stay in place too well

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
erikkellison said:
Roach/Race Face Rally DH
So crap, I went to get a pair of these and they are all sold out of Mediums and from every shop I've talked to, they are done manufacturing them for the season.

Does anyone know of the most comparable pads to these? When does next year's come out?

I scanned the selection at my LBS quickly and no other brand I saw had quite the all around coverage the Roach/Race Face pad had.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Megan Black said:
So crap, I went to get a pair of these and they are all sold out of Mediums and from every shop I've talked to, they are done manufacturing them for the season.

Does anyone know of the most comparable pads to these? When does next year's come out?

I scanned the selection at my LBS quickly and no other brand I saw had quite the all around coverage the Roach/Race Face pad had.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Well, it was good of you to try and support your LBS... now check the net. I got mine at Jenson. (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=PG607B00)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I bought mine at www.universalcycles.com for like $60 shipped. I called Race Face directly and told them my height and just how skinny my legs are, and they suggested large (6' and skinny, but not Kenyan runner skinny, I weigh 170ish). For the most part, I do all my shopping online, but that's another thread. I saw my pads at the Garbanzo Bike and Bean for $129.99CDN, which is just about $100US. I cringe at the thought of anyone spending that much on these pads, especially since the retail is $70US (maybe less?).
BEAUster said:
the plastic is the same, but there is a crap load more of foam padding.
Yes, put the pad in front of your knee, not on top of or on the middle of your kneecap. If you put it in front, it seems to stay there, whereas in any other position, it just migrates to there.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Ive got the soft shell version of the roach guards. best money ive spent for equipment ever. Ive had em for a year raced em ride em, the saved my skin numerous times... the hardshell versions look even better.
Last month i slipped a pedal aproaching a stone wall jump but the pain and impact was minimal and i was able to keep pedaling make the jump finish the trail. Kinda bulky but very protective excellent coverage
For straight up racing and pedaling comfort/effeciency/ less protection go with the fox raptors. The knee joint construction is awesome feels like your wearing nothing.

Y

yos1s25

does the race face rally and the roach rally are the same??
and what's better? the FR or the DH ?

BEAUster

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Boston, MA
yos1s25 said:
does the race face rally and the roach rally are the same??
and what's better? the FR or the DH ?
yes, raceface and roach are the same pads. to say which one is better, it depends on your riding. if your riding trails and some fr, i'd say the fr's. if you are a big hitter and a downhiller, i'd say the dh's

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
for those of you who have the troy lee combat guards. do you hae the standard ones or the shorty ones? if you have the shorty ones, how short are they and how tall are u?