Quantcast

Need a tire for deep, loose, spongy loam...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
My new riding area is not much more than a poofy, 4"-5" deep blanket of pine needles, dead leaves, bugs and dirt. Obviously, I WILL be cutting trail later, but I want to just "roll down some hills" for awhile as well. That, and considering the area I live in, even all the damn public trails are a blanket of that deep, spongy dirt that never seems to pack, but sure is fun when it gets sprinkled on!
So far, I'm leaning towards the Michelin DH Mud 3 in something like a 2.3 flavor...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Your trails better be very very soft with no hard bottom if you plan on running a mud 3. Have you seen how long the knobs are on those? If you think a mud tire is the ticket, what about a Swampthing? A good all-around tire might be the WTB Timberwolf.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I really don't like WTB tires, not sure why, they just never seemed to feel quite right.
I checked out the Swampthings and the Wetscreams, The Michy looks like it has bigger, stronger lugs.
Basically, I just wanna ride some steeps, but they are SOO loose. Anything would prob work, but something with long lugs would def keep the front end planted better and make a great rudder. And there's no hardpack to be found here, and the "ground" under the loam is soft for an easy foot yet. Just years and years of dead stuff. Nice soft landing for when I have to jump the bars!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Kenda Kenetic Stick-e? Overall a mediocre tire. However, it does pretty well in soft stuff. The knobs are tall and well spaced, but not so tall that they fold over. They also clear mud quite well.
That and they are wicked cheap.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Comp 16 works great in those conditions. Whatever you pick, make sure the knobs are on the small side with a sharp braking edge.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well, in response to the Highroller, I'm running Specialized Chunders right now, Umma-Gumma rubber(sticky soft). Basically a High Roller with a few more side lugs. Haven't had them in the loam yet, but they pack with mud rather quickly. Better than the Maxxis, tho. Kendas Nevagals are great...on anything that won't pack in, also.

HEEEY...I'm looking at that list of possible thread matches in that little box at the bottom...I've already done this thread once! What a dumbass... Apparently, my terrain hasn't changed!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Chunders do the trick for me. I like 'em better than High Rollers. They drift more predictably, instead of letting go all at once. In the wet they're not as good though.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I love my Nev's in that sort of stuff, worked like a charm at the Otter this year, which sounds like what you're running on.

I am under impressed with the Swamp Things. Too damn hard to get rolling, even on the soft stuff.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Mich comp 16 will do well. Big square side knobs and open tread. The Highroller is similar. I have not ridden the Spec tires, but in general, more blocks = more clogging and less grip in soft terrrain, but better for hard.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
the intense intruder
dope tire for alot of different conditions (mud ski slope thick loam dirt) unless its hardpack and pure rock like at mt creek

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've had pretty decent luck with my Timberwolves...but some don't like them...

I'll put in another vote for Michelin Comp 16. The 2.5 size has a medium-small volume and fairly long knobs but not so long that you can't use it as an all-conditions tire.

Edit: one more thing- the Michelin Mud has big, fairly strong lugs, but they are too long and flexible for anything apart from the softest conditions. Rocks, roots and obstacles are not that tire's forte. Swampthings are good because they are a better all-around choice. They are more of a dedicated mud tire than Comp 16s, but the knobs are much better for any all-around stuff than a Mud3

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
I've had pretty decent luck with my Timberwolves...but some don't like them...

I'll put in another vote for Michelin Comp 16. The 2.5 size has a medium-small volume and fairly long knobs but not so long that you can't use it as an all-conditions tire.

Edit: one more thing- the Michelin Mud has big, fairly strong lugs, but they are too long and flexible for anything apart from the softest conditions. Rocks, roots and obstacles are not that tire's forte. Swampthings are good because they are a better all-around choice. They are more of a dedicated mud tire than Comp 16s, but the knobs are much better for any all-around stuff than a Mud3
WOW a lot of knowledge from an intro racer/rider. You seem to know a lot for a low level intermediate/first year rider:ban: