Quantcast

need a trailer for camping AND biking

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I'm not really too familiar with different trailer setups. I have not used many types of trailers.

I am currently thinking about a trailer that can serve on camping trips for the entire family where we will want to go biking during the trip. It would need to haul all of the camping gear for a family of 6 as well as at least 5 bikes.

I guess with a large enough trailer I could just throw everything inside and be done. I'm actually hoping for something a bit more organized though.

A trailer 2 or 3 feet tall with compartments/storage on the sides and a covered top would be great. With a covered top I would possibly mount all the bikes to the top of the trailer.

I will attempt to find a picture of something similar to what I am thinking of. Perhaps that will be helpful. I don't really know where to start. Everything I see on google isn't right.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Something like this? or this?

I have a modified light-weight thule trailer I use to haul bikes and camping gear for a family of 5. It's basically a utility trailer with a aero cover that opens from the back. On the front of the trailer is space for up to 6 bikes. I'd have to dig up a photo...

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
How much do you want to spend? How big of a trailer do you want? Do you mind storing it? Check out toy haulers like they use for motorcycles. They aren't as plush as a regular trailer, but have room to store plenty of gear and bikes in the back.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I don't want to sleep in the trailer. I just want it to haul alot of supplies plus 5 bikes. I will be sleeping in a tent.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I don't want to sleep in the trailer. I just want it to haul alot of supplies plus 5 bikes. I will be sleeping in a tent.

In that case, you can get one pretty cheap. With the crap economy, it should be easy to pick up something used. I'd just look it over to make sure it hasn't been hacked up. You can easily add storage and tie downs inside. There's really not much too them. Like mentioned above, I would probably get an enclosed.