Quantcast

Need advice on a 66RC...

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
Recently I've been faced with a dilemma. My dh/fr bike is too heavy (44 pounds). Especially in the front end - ie. - 01 Monster T. Where I really notice it is on flatter trails with lots of pedaling, and of course climbing. I really started dealing with this in the last two months because I've been riding my Chameleon with a Z-1, and have discovered how fast and how big I can go on a properly set up hardtail. I've spent a lot of time in the last year or so perfecting my dirt jumping skills, and this has changed my style while riding trails; I no longer plow through the straight line, I look for more interesting, flowing lines. However, I still like to huck from time to time, and they're not always small to medium hucks, if you know what I mean. I'm wondering if I can get by with the 66RC in that department. I know it would be a sweet fork for DH and just trail riding. I never do a drop or gap that does not have a superb landing. I'd go for a Super T but Marz doesn't make them any more, and I'm not sure I want to spend the money on an 888. Will I be disapointed with the 66? Thanks for the help!

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
If you're still interested in a super t, you can buy them from pricepoint.com for $499.

The 66rc is good, just keep in mind that the 170mm version sits about 10mm shorter than the 20mm 888rc.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have four friends with 66RC forks, 2x170mm and 2x150mm ... everybody LOVES their forks but those with 170mm, though they say they've gotten used to it, do think they are too tall. The 66 seems to be able to take anything you can dish out. If you drop to nice trannys as you said you have nothing to worry about. They really are bad ass forks.

I've ridden their bikes and I think the 66 could be the best feeling Bomber I've ever tried. (I ride an '05 Z1 150mm) If you really want a 66 you could wait until the end of the year for the new lower versions. If you really want a Super T ... [thread=122801]consider this.[/thread]

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^
What he said...I had a 170 mm on my Bullit, and it did make the front end taller, but also raked it out nice for DH...Now it's going on my V-10 :thumb:

That said, I would love to have a 6 incher on my Preston or my Bullit...Great fork...

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
The only advantage to going with a 66RC from a Monster is losing 2+ pounds of weight. Otherwise you are giving up strength, stiffness, shorter a-c height, and because of the height, climbing ability.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Bulldog said:
The only advantage to going with a 66RC from a Monster is losing 2+ pounds of weight. Otherwise you are giving up strength, stiffness, shorter a-c height, and because of the height, climbing ability.

You are forgetting that the 66 is waaaaaaaay more maneuverable, i rode a monster for a while back in the day, anything slow speed the thing is a behemoth. The 66 is way more versatile esp. for jumping/x-ups and such. Look at the adidias slope style last weekend, almost every rider was on a single grown.

go with the new lower 66 :thumb:

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
manhattanprjkt83 said:
You are forgetting that the 66 is waaaaaaaay more maneuverable, i rode a monster for a while back in the day, anything slow speed the thing is a behemoth. The 66 is way more versatile esp. for jumping/x-ups and such. Look at the adidias slope style last weekend, almost every rider was on a single grown.

go with the new lower 66 :thumb:
BS. I owned an '01 Monster for 2 years and have had a 66RC since December. The Monster has nearly 180^ lock to lock steering, it's the best turning DC I've ever been around. No problems at slow speed, even on "XC" tight trails. Sure, you can't do a full X-up, but that's about the only limitation.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Bulldog said:
BS. I owned an '01 Monster for 2 years and have had a 66RC since December. The Monster has nearly 180^ lock to lock steering, it's the best turning DC I've ever been around. No problems at slow speed, even on "XC" tight trails. Sure, you can't do a full X-up, but that's about the only limitation.
I think he means that slinging the weight around at slow speed is difficult, not that the steering lock is an issue.

We're not all Bulldog-sized, you know...

crash test

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Nepaug, CT
I have a 66RC 170mm on my Bullit. It rakes it out more than the Z150 i use to have, but if you put the rear shock shuttle position in the non-slacker angle, it makes it perfect. The feel on this fork is so much nicer than the Z150. And its lighter than the Z150 air/oil/coil to boot. I also owned an 03 Super T, and the 66RC's feel/maneuverability is much better. I also owned an 03 Shiver DC, but its hard to compare, they are two different beasts. Same goes for my Avy DHF-8-MT.

The 66RC is the best single crown freeride fork on the market in my opinion. You get the feel of a singlecrown and the big hit functionality of a dual crown.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
MikeD said:
I think he means that slinging the weight around at slow speed is difficult, not that the steering lock is an issue.

We're not all Bulldog-sized, you know...

Exactly, so Bulldog you are honestly going to sit there and say that the Monster is more maneuverable than the 66 :rolleyes:. It had been time proven that those forks just aren’t necessary, not the extra weight at least.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Im using a 150mm 66 RC on my VPX, the bike feels very balanced. I have only a few dirt miles on it and I already am loving this fork. With a cut steer tube, its less than 7 pounds. Its still breaking in so I havent really fiddled with the adjustments yet. I didnt go with the 170mm fork because I didnt want the ride height of the fork, Im more of a trail rider but look for the nasty lines and anything that I can launch off of. This fork gives me lots of confidence. I have ridden several bikes with DC Shivers, and I can feel the weight of those forks, it makes the front end harder to loft over things or for the fast pull of the bars over ruts. It does to me anyway, feel a little slower (shiver) turning, I guess the extra mass creates a damping effect, and the RC feels quick and nimble even with the slack HA.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I ride an '03 Cove G-spot with a 150mm 66RC and it's freakin' perfect. It's a little tall for climbing..but I just lower the seat and pedal away in the granny...I put 15 psi in the preload chambers in both legs (I'm 6'7" and 260-ish) and cranked the ending stroke compression adjustment out from full-on about 2.5 turns....rebound is by trail conditions....but the stock springs and oil are perfect...!!!! this really surprised me...I suppose it's because of the kick ass air assist chambers!! It rocks. Buy one. But I do agree with everyone saying wait for the lower height ones.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Exactly, so Bulldog you are honestly going to sit there and say that the Monster is more maneuverable than the 66 :rolleyes:.
Where'd I say that? :confused: I took issue with you saying the 66 is "waaaaaaaay more maneuverable" and "anything slow speed the thing is a behemoth". I will say that at low speed and/or when climbing, head angle and bar height is more noticeable to me than fork weight.

Just giving the original poster the idea not to expect a taller, slacker fork to somehow magically make his bike a better all-arounder. Less weight to pedal around, yes, but worse angles and geo. Pick your poison.