Quantcast

need brake help

sh*t scared

Monkey
Sep 30, 2004
Im currently using Hope 6ti brakes up front and a mono M4 at the back, but they are sh1te. even after new EBC pads, goodridge hoses, bleeding, fine tuning, they do not work as good as the Hayes mags I had before did.

So, do i go back to Hayes Mags, or try something else new like Maguras or Avids?? I need brakes that have big bite, and i mean big. I weigh 200lbs and the bike 64lbs, and what we ride in Spain is seriously steep, so that it is important the brakes are really powerful.

What do i do??

jsnsanchez

Chimp
Feb 9, 2005
You can't go wrong with the hayes but your Hope 6 should be killing it too. What kind of problems are you having? ie power? fade? Have you tried Hope directly yet?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
sh*t scared said:
Im currently using Hope 6ti brakes up front and a mono M4 at the back, but they are sh1te. even after new EBC pads, goodridge hoses, bleeding, fine tuning, they do not work as good as the Hayes mags I had before did.

So, do i go back to Hayes Mags, or try something else new like Maguras or Avids?? I need brakes that have big bite, and i mean big. I weigh 200lbs and the bike 64lbs, and what we ride in Spain is seriously steep, so that it is important the brakes are really powerful.

What do i do??
Goodridge lines really make no noticable difference with Hopes.

sh*t scared

Monkey
Sep 30, 2004
Its a Hood Mussel,

And 'goodridge makes no difference to hopes' ..............nothing makes a difference to Hopes, you just HOPE they stop you..

Dhmann

Chimp
Sep 24, 2004
i have goodrige on mono6's and it makes them sooo much better. i think all you need to do sh*t scared in to bleed them possibly slap some goodrige on and maybe sintered pads and they will be amazing. strong enough to stop a 64lbs bike easy ;)

Burgtec

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
sh*t scared said:
Its a Hood Mussel,

And 'goodridge makes no difference to hopes' ..............nothing makes a difference to Hopes, you just HOPE they stop you..
I dont buy all this stuff people say about Hopes. Mine haven't been seviced in ages (I'm a lazy bastard) and are covered in crap yet they still work brilliantly. They've perfect modulation for when you want to feather them in corners so as not too lose speed but just regain extra control.

I guess Hopes are quite complex and 'techy' and require mechanical know-how by the owner in order to get the best from them. They are also superbly made. Whereas Hayes are fit-and-forget, but have ****e modulation and the build quality of a Fisher Price toy.

I guess it could be likened to those morons who buy a high-tech, complex pc or hi-fi system, find they haven't a clue how to set it up/ operate it, then say; ''It doesn't work, it's ****!'' or summat similar. Dumbasses! Learn to read manuals and set things up properly before you start concluded that something's ****!

I guess we'll all just have to wait for Brembo's wonder brake when it comes out. Providing you have over $800 to spend. I hope they learn to use allen bolts though and ones that DONT RUST! ****ing rust on a $800 brake!? And it was the prototype! How the hell had it had time to oxidise? **** bolts? I bet! Twats! lol

Anyway sorry to blabble, just my 2 cents. Remember; it's only my opinion. :blah:

sh*t scared

Monkey
Sep 30, 2004
Burgtec said:
I dont buy all this stuff people say about Hopes. Mine haven't been seviced in ages (I'm a lazy bastard) and are covered in crap yet they still work brilliantly. They've perfect modulation for when you want to feather them in corners so as not too lose speed but just regain extra control.

I guess Hopes are quite complex and 'techy' and require mechanical know-how by the owner in order to get the best from them. They are also superbly made. Whereas Hayes are fit-and-forget, but have ****e modulation and the build quality of a Fisher Price toy.

I guess it could be likened to those morons who buy a high-tech, complex pc or hi-fi system, find they haven't a clue how to set it up/ operate it, then say; ''It doesn't work, it's ****!'' or summat similar. Dumbasses! Learn to read manuals and set things up properly before you start concluded that something's ****!
:blah:
What a load of ****e that was! this is why i have drawn my 'dumbass conclusion'........

I initially thought they were soft, so bled them time and time again, Then i installed EBC pads, broke them in over about 20 miles of dh road riding on v steep gradients, still no better, so I installed a Goodridge hose kit on them. Still no initial bite like i wanted. Then, after having frame and forks faced, spending time and time on setup, they started to squeel like a banshee. Eventually went through the whole of the EBC range of pads before giving up.

Some of the runs down here in Spain, are that steep and rocky, that it is essential that you drag both brakes, however when you then need to stop quickly to avoid a tree, the brakes are too weak to stop you properly, there is just nothing left.

My Hayes were perfect at this, and hence my return to them (but i might just try a bit of Gustav first :thumb:

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
I can't comment on how well they do under fade, but Avid Juicies win hands down in the power and bite departments IMO. Rode a mate's bike with those on it... everything else (including my Hayes) feels crap now :(

Also, considered Hayes El Caminos? I got my hands on a set today (on a bike off the shop floor, so they weren't bedded in), the lever shape is nice and the power adjustment does make a noticeable difference (even though like I said, they hadn't bedded in). The lever feel is a bit squishy for my liking though, too much like the Hopes :(

Burgtec

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
sh*t scared said:
What a load of ****e that was! this is why i have drawn my 'dumbass conclusion'........

I initially thought they were soft, so bled them time and time again, Then i installed EBC pads, broke them in over about 20 miles of dh road riding on v steep gradients, still no better, so I installed a Goodridge hose kit on them. Still no initial bite like i wanted. Then, after having frame and forks faced, spending time and time on setup, they started to squeel like a banshee. Eventually went through the whole of the EBC range of pads before giving up.

Some of the runs down here in Spain, are that steep and rocky, that it is essential that you drag both brakes, however when you then need to stop quickly to avoid a tree, the brakes are too weak to stop you properly, there is just nothing left.

My Hayes were perfect at this, and hence my return to them (but i might just try a bit of Gustav first :thumb:
No, It wasn't ****. I think you'll find it was my opinion. Ever heard of opinions, dude? It's something that one is free to express. I wasn't pointing the finger at you personally, I was generalising. But after reading about your local riding spots and your efforts to set them up, it seems you have a point. Quite why they wont work properly for you is beyond me though!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Burgtec said:
No, It wasn't ****. I think you'll find it was my opinion. Ever heard of opinions, dude? It's something that one is free to express. I wasn't pointing the finger at you personally, I was generalising. But after reading about your local riding spots and your efforts to set them up, it seems you have a point. Quite why they wont work properly for you is beyond me though!
Yes it was an opinion, but inflammitory opinions that are also uninformed are not generally met with any appreciation or respect.

He said he was having problems with his Hopes, and you went off on a rant about Hope owners who don't know anything - after you quoted his post, which clearly made him the target for the rant. Now you found out he does know something, and you're backpedalling.

Maybe you should wait more than 5 posts into a thread, or 10 posts into this board for that matter, before targeting someone with an insulting post like that...

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
What I love is how any problem with Hope MUST be a user error, there's always something to blame. If it's not the shim spacing hoopla, then it's bleeding, if not, then always a copout "oh, you mustn't be used to modulation" or similar excuse.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Someone, somewhere, isn't quite as happy with their Hope brakes as you are... and that makes you uneasy, so much so that you can't sleep at night.
Tell the truth... c'mon, we're all here to help each other :love:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Brian HCM#1 said:
Just life itself.
Okaayy...

I simply meant that I thought it was funny that right off the bat, someone basically insinuated that there wasn't enough knowledge on MTBR but Ridemonkey would fix you right up.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
binary visions said:
Okaayy...

I simply meant that I thought it was funny that right off the bat, someone basically insinuated that there wasn't enough knowledge on MTBR but Ridemonkey would fix you right up.
I know I'm just play'n wit cha. :blah:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Rik said:
Someone, somewhere, isn't quite as happy with their Hope brakes as you are... and that makes you uneasy, so much so that you can't sleep at night.
Tell the truth... c'mon, we're all here to help each other :love:
Yep, definatly can't sleep at night :eek: :D

Burgtec

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
binary visions said:
Yes it was an opinion, but inflammitory opinions that are also uninformed are not generally met with any appreciation or respect.

He said he was having problems with his Hopes, and you went off on a rant about Hope owners who don't know anything - after you quoted his post, which clearly made him the target for the rant. Now you found out he does know something, and you're backpedalling.

Maybe you should wait more than 5 posts into a thread, or 10 posts into this board for that matter, before targeting someone with an insulting post like that...
Oh I was 'ranting' was I? Can you tell that from sitting at your pc reading a post? I wasn't ranting. I've got more imortant things to rant about than brakes, believe me.

Oh so because I quoted HIS post, that means that I CANT possibly have been generalising and hence using his post as an example of a person belonging to this cross-section of people who share the same ideas regarding Hopes, right?

It wasn't insulting though. Sheesh, stop crying and go ride your bike.

sh*t scared

Monkey
Sep 30, 2004
Burgtec said:
Oh I was 'ranting' was I? Can you tell that from sitting at your pc reading a post? I wasn't ranting. I've got more imortant things to rant about than brakes, believe me.

Oh so because I quoted HIS post, that means that I CANT possibly have been generalising and hence using his post as an example of a person belonging to this cross-section of people who share the same ideas regarding Hopes, right?

It wasn't insulting though. Sheesh, stop crying and go ride your bike.
You are SOOOOO uptight.

Go take a laxative and give us all a break :evil:

Burgtec

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
sh*t scared said:
You are SOOOOO uptight.

Go take a laxative and give us all a break :evil:
Stop over-pronouncing words and emphasizing them Spanish boy. Leave it to the Canadians and Yanks. Because you sooooo like sound a jeeeerk, maaaan!

I love the way you guys (two guys) seem to think I'm uptight. I'm just mezmerised how you can tell. I dont care if you like Hayes, all I say is I dont want brakes that are poorly made and tacky. Why pay for tacky bike stuff?

Thanks for the advice. Maybe you should take one, because you're the uptight one. The reason why you dont take laxatives is because you'd **** yourself on those steep runs and hence why you cant DH without dragging your brakes.
So your brakes dont work? Who gives a ****, dumbass?

Burgtec

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
For Sh*t Scared and 'whatshisface'(?): Anyway I'm not getting into an argument with you deluded, uptight, humorless folk.

If it makes you feel happy and helps you forget that you are a cry-baby, whinging pussy, then carry on believing that I'm sat here tearing my hair out. It'll only go to prove what a bunch of absolute morons you are who need to pull your heads out your asses.

I thought a forum was a place where peole expressed their views, yeah? Wll it looks like two cry baby pussies want to take a **** on convention.

Ha ha ha *rolls eyes*

Burgtec

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
Sh*t scared (literally)
My pussy-ass is currently using Hope 6ti brakes up front and a mono M4 at the back, but they are way beyond my level of understanding. Even after new EBC pads, goodridge hoses, bleeding, fine tuning, my dumbass still cant get them to work. Maybe Hayes are more my thing; not too complex for my small, retarded mind?

So, does my lame-ass go back to Hayes Mags, or try something else new like Maguras or Avids?? I need brakes that have big bite, and i mean big, because I always drag my brakes to death because I'm a suck-ass, cry-baby pussy and I dont wanna scratch my legs. I'm a 200lb sack of **** and the bike is a huge lump of pig-iron weighing 64lbs, and what we ride in Spain is seriously lame, but I'm a soft-ass faggot boy so it is important the brakes are really powerful.

What do i do?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Burgtec, just relax mate. Getting riled up about something someone said (especially on the internet) is useless, and before you go saying "I AM CALM, MOTHERFÜCKER" - if that's true, you're certainly not coming across that way. You don't like your Hopes, fair enough. Definitely give Avid Juicies a go, if they're no good (which I really doubt since pretty much every Avid brake I've ever used has been awesome) then try Maguras (this is of course assuming you can afford to buy new stuff if need be, ie you're not broke like me). If money is an issue, just go back to Hayes. You can spend a LOT of time and money trying to get brakes to work properly (new pads x 5 or so, new lines, rebleeding, different rotors, contamination, aftermarket lever blades, yadda yadda yadda) I'd recommend just cutting your losses and getting something else. Hopes are *generally* decent brakes IME (I wouldn't buy a set however), but if they're giving you grief, sell them and get something else.

Burgtec

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
thaflyinfatman said:
Burgtec, just relax mate. Getting riled up about something someone said (especially on the internet) is useless, and before you go saying "I AM CALM, MOTHERFÜCKER" - if that's true, you're certainly not coming across that way. You don't like your Hopes, fair enough. Definitely give Avid Juicies a go, if they're no good (which I really doubt since pretty much every Avid brake I've ever used has been awesome) then try Maguras (this is of course assuming you can afford to buy new stuff if need be, ie you're not broke like me). If money is an issue, just go back to Hayes. You can spend a LOT of time and money trying to get brakes to work properly (new pads x 5 or so, new lines, rebleeding, different rotors, contamination, aftermarket lever blades, yadda yadda yadda) I'd recommend just cutting your losses and getting something else. Hopes are *generally* decent brakes IME (I wouldn't buy a set however), but if they're giving you grief, sell them and get something else.
Hi mate, beautiful day isn't it? I think you are a wee bit confused, yes? I might go out riding, or should I just sit online talking about bikes, instead?

I am calm mother ****er! :mad: God I'm so damn mad! *pulls huge mass of hair out of head and looks about to explode* I'm so angry that you guys keep saying I'm angry. It's 'catch 22' though: no matter what I say or what you say I cant convince you I'm not angry, simply because in doing so I come across as angry. Lifes a bitch *looks for razor*

There seems to be alot of anger on this site. Good job I dont live state side or I'd have some nutcase, moron yank/canadian trying to blow my head off for simply expressing an opinion. I suppose that's something to be happy about though, yeah? I can get you yanks riled up and theres a whole ****load of nothing you can do about it. :D

And to thaflyingfatman: You need to tell this info to Sh*t scared, not me.

sh*t scared

Monkey
Sep 30, 2004
Burgtec said:
Hi mate, beautiful day isn't it? I think you are a wee bit confused, yes? I might go out riding, or should I just sit online talking about bikes, instead?

I am calm mother ****er! :mad: God I'm so damn mad! *pulls huge mass of hair out of head and looks about to explode* I'm so angry that you guys keep saying I'm angry. It's 'catch 22' though: no matter what I say or what you say I cant convince you I'm not angry, simply because in doing so I come across as angry. Lifes a bitch *looks for razor*

There seems to be alot of anger on this site. Good job I dont live state side or I'd have some nutcase, moron yank/canadian trying to blow my head off for simply expressing an opinion. I suppose that's something to be happy about though, yeah? I can get you yanks riled up and theres a whole ****load of nothing you can do about it. :D

And to thaflyingfatman: You need to tell this info to Sh*t scared, not me.

Burgtec: Listen up, you are the only one here who´s riled up, so chill, thanks for your opinions about my dumbass mind and abilities and my brakes. No more needed.

Thaflyinfatman:, thanks for your advice, i´ve come to pretty much the same conclusion, and have decided to buy a set of Gustavs as after everything i´ve done with the Hopes, they just aren´t upto the job of slowing me down in Spain. Hopefully Mr Gustav will be!.

Burgtec

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
sh*t scared said:
Burgtec: Listen up, you are the only one here who´s riled up, so chill, thanks for your opinions about my dumbass mind and abilities and my brakes. No more needed.

Do you listen? Why exactly am I riled up? Give me a reason to be. Go on.
This site sure doesn't build itself firmly upon rational thought, does it?

But yep, I'm so riled up, because well anyone on RM who has an opinion of their own or different to everyone elses is riled up, correct? Well it cliche stuff, aint it? The guy who is different to the norm has different opinions because he is an outcast and bitter about his childhood, oh and was bulied at school. Yep, that's me, please try to be more understanding guys. I'm a totured hermit soul.

I digress, you are all ok guys you just take yourselves too seriously. I'm chilled now, thanks guys for your psychotherapy.

Burgtec

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
''I am calm mother ****er! God I'm so damn mad! *pulls huge mass of hair out of head and looks about to explode* I'm so angry that you guys keep saying I'm angry. It's 'catch 22' though: no matter what I say or what you say I cant convince you I'm not angry, simply because in doing so I come across as angry. Lifes a bitch *looks for razor*''

Sh*tscared: Maybe if you wasn't such a dumbass you'd know this (see above) and my other posts were sarcasm. So, you telling me I'm riled up in response to such sarcastic remarks I have written, makes you look a slow-witted, moronic fool.
Keep up, next time.

Burgtec

Chimp
Feb 10, 2005
Anyway no hard feelings, best wishes with the Maggies, I hear they are damn good brakes these days.

No more bitching anyone, I feel a new man after facing my anger problems. Thanks again for the councelling chaps.

sh*t scared

Monkey
Sep 30, 2004
Burgtec said:
''I am calm mother ****er! God I'm so damn mad! *pulls huge mass of hair out of head and looks about to explode* I'm so angry that you guys keep saying I'm angry. It's 'catch 22' though: no matter what I say or what you say I cant convince you I'm not angry, simply because in doing so I come across as angry. Lifes a bitch *looks for razor*''

Sh*tscared: Maybe if you wasn't such a dumbass you'd know this (see above) and my other posts were sarcasm. So, you telling me I'm riled up in response to such sarcastic remarks I have written, makes you look a slow-witted, moronic fool.
Keep up, next time.

T W A T :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wow, this thread exploded, didn't it?

Burgtec, perhaps you should look up the definition of "rant" - it does not imply that you were angry or worked up, Mirriam Webster defines it as a "bombastic extravagant speech" - which I'd say is the perfect definition of your post.

I didn't say that you weren't generalizing, I simply said that by quoting his post, you made a clear target out of him - intentional or not.

You claim your opinion of us is so low, that you won't get into an argument, yet you continue to hang around and argue. Not only that, but you've decided to drag personal insults into the mix. Very nice - you should hang around, you'll get your ass handed to you on a daily basis.

You've clearly defined yourself as someone with little to no value to add to this forum :rolleyes:

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
thaflyinfatman said:
Woah..... Where's the mods now huh? Some NOOB can post crap like this?