Quantcast

Need Budget MTB Jump Bike

Lolage

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
Hi. Im 15 years old and im only 5"3. I want to get into jumping. I currently have a Giant XTC3 Cross Country bike which i got for £600.

I now would like a nice jump bike for under £300. Cant go any higher as im struggling at that, my first budget was £200 but i was told i need to spend more. I have looked into looking second hand but i dont want to, id prefer to have a new bike as i have warranty etc.

Bikes so far that ive been looking at include the
  • GT Chucker 3.0
  • Diamondback Beta

Are these any good? Remember its my first jump bike so i wont want anything too fancy just somthing to get me into the sport to improve.

If you have any other ideas of what bike i could have please say.

Thanks to anyone who replies, Ben - aged 15.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
I would really look into a used bike....you could get more for your money, the warranty I dont think is that big of an issue, if you are just starting out then you probably wont need to worry about it.

Lolage

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
Well i need it over the weekend as going on holiday in the week after. Thanks anyway mate.

jpconard

Chimp
Aug 14, 2006
I think the Mongoose Ritual is a decent bike for the money. It will get blasted on this site.

It has been improved over the last few years (shorten chain stays, went to 26" wheels for 07 and lost the gyro). So they seem to be taking the criticism and trying to improve the bike.

Not sure of current weight, but my 05 is around 40 lbs. The 05 has RST forks which aren't too good. I weigh nearly 200 lbs. but haven't bent them yet (but I don't jump too high). The preload adjuster broke on the first bunny-hop. They bottom easily.

Later years come with Marzocchi. I have new DMR Trailblade 2 rigids which are going on mine soon (only $89 at Airbomb.com).

This review is pretty accurate, after owning the bike I agree with his every point.
http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/article.php?ID=694&category=stuff_reviews

It is definitely a bike that you will have to modify to fit your style, but that is the fun in it.

Also take a look at DMR bikes. They are expensive but I like the looks of the Transition. I prefer a 24 over the 26.