Quantcast

Need Feedback - 2 Big Races Same Weekend - Would you do Both?

I would....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
A month ago there weren't any local Qualifier Races for Gravity Nationals

Paris Mountain Downhill is scheduled for Sunday August 28th; it would be a qualifier and SC championship. pre rides and party Saturday evening.

Beech Mtn. has been trying to find a date that doesn't conflict with any other events, like the Dark Mtn Super D so they are looking at Saturday August 27th qualifier race and NC championship.

As a Racer would you:
  • Do both in the same Weekend? Beech on Saturday & Paris on Sunday?
  • or would you pick one or the other? if so which one Beech or Paris Mtn?

reason i ask this is we're thinking about possibly moving our Paris date back to November 13th. (that's the only other date the Park has for us to get a race in this year.)

let me hear your thoughts
thanks
bRad

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'd personally pick one.

A DHer would have a hard time picking between 2 DH events. Not so much between a Super D and a DH.... :think:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
99 percent of Dh racers will not do both.
Especially in this economy and with higher gas prices.
If I did Beech on Saturday, I would do Paris on Sunday but only because Paris is local to me. So, once again I am a 1 percenter. ;)

That said, with SO few Dh races here in the Carolinas, I would be stoked to have both events happen. If Paris needs to be moved back to November, then that is cool as long we have it. The work that has already been done to the course at Paris is great, and I would like to race the event no matter what.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
I think having both as qualifiers would be awesome but I think that each event would suffer from being on the same weekend. Hopefully the Beech qualifier includes a gated race as well. I voted that I would go to Beech over Paris. Paris is an awesome event that exposes allot of people to the gravity scene that may otherwise never make it up to the big mountains for a race. That's why I see Paris as a very important event for the Southern Scene, and it'd be unfair to Paris if it had to compete with a DH (and possibly a 4X/DS) race at Beech.

Whether this means Paris' date is moved or Beech picks another date I know the organizers will work together to make sure both events happen and are as successful as they possibly can be.

Edit: I just saw the Paris in November option but I've already voted. I think thats a great idea, and it's allot cooler than August

Last edited:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Beech should pick another date that doesn't conflict with any other DH races close by.
You must also consider the time it takes to build the tracks, upgrade the lift, and a buffer before National Championships for the many other tasks at hand. Not many dates to pick and choose from after that. :)

hotrodmarlin

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
You must also consider the time it takes to build the tracks, upgrade the lift, and a buffer before National Championships for the many other tasks at hand. Not many dates to pick and choose from after that. :)
Paris in November sounds good to me :thumb:

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I would consider both because it would be more convienent for me coming from way over here in Raleigh. Stay in Hickory with my family on friday night, race beech on saturday and drive back to Hickory, drive to Paris Mt. and race on Sunday. I would probably be too wiped to make it back to Raleigh for work on monday though.

If I had to choose one or the other...it would definitely be Beech though. So I'm open to either both in one weekend or Paris in November since it is a good gap from August for that far of a drive.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Come on guys work this out! We have hardly any races this season in the SE! Paris should be a qualifier and certainly Beech should. What's wrong with the 13th for one event and then the 27th for another. Please don't put them the same weekend or both will suffer. Beech really needs to have a gated qually since there have only been 2 on the entire east coast. That being said it would need to be a 2 day race at Beech to have slalom and DH. Paris the 13th Beech the 27th my vote!
Why would you move Paris back to NOvember????

Last edited:

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Come on guys work this out! We have hardly any races this season in the SE! Paris should be a qualifier and certainly Beech should. What's wrong with the 13th for one event and then the 27th for another. Please don't put them the same weekend or both will suffer. Beech really needs to have a gated qually since there have only been 2 on the entire east coast. That being said it would need to be a 2 day race at Beech to have slalom and DH. Paris the 13th Beech the 27th my vote!
Why would you move Paris back to NOvember????
For any DH race Paris Mountain state park requires us to reserve/rent all of the shelters because of the impact we have on the park due to parking. There aren't any open weekends this summer at Paris... except the 28th... the next possible open weekend for them was in November where none of the shelters were taken. so we're now gonna do the Paris Race Nov 13th

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I would try to do both but I'm a High country regular and I live 20 mins from Paris so I think I'm an exception. I agree that both will suffer. Not practical at all for those that live near neither.

I understand the restrictions at Paris and I think November would be a good fallback. I will attend a race in my hometown regardless of date. Sucks about the conflict but I think those that really want to qualify will make it to whichever one happens. Don't sacrifice the success of the only sc downhill race just to be a qualifier.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Being local I would do both. If I was not local I would do Beech only because of $$$. Main reason is that Beech really needs to see the support from all the riders in the South East so they will move forward 100% with the bike park. We need one in the South East. I can say how many times we thought we were getting one and it all fell apart. This one needs to open and stay!!!!

As for Paris, I am happy that you guys have stepped up to make it happen this year. The work on the trail is made it the best it's ever been!!! My thoughts are run the event on the date picked. You all said you wanted it to be more of a low key/grass roots race anyway.

Ether way I will be there for both and so will TEAM RM EAST!!!!!:thumb:

Cecil

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
So does that mean Beech is going to be Aug. 27th? Doesn't make sense to schedule last minute and bump Paris out of a being qualifier, which would only help the National attendance by offering an additional qually in our region. Then no announcement for the race still? No slalom qualifier offered either? There are many BMXers in the SE who would race Slalom at the Nat. Champs if they could only qualify.
I know the courses are going to be sick with the crew that is in place, but Beech just doesn't seem to be making the most of the opportunity to make the Champs accessible to riders in our region. I don't mean to be negative, just want the Championships to be all it can be, and represented by as many SE racers from the past and present as possible! If the future plan is to have a bike park, I would think that SE attendance would be very important. How can that happen with poor planning?
I work for myself and hardly work nowadays -yet still need at least a month to plan for events, so I can only imagine that people with real jobs would like to know when the qually at Beech will be? Not trying to bag on Beech, just saying get it in gear and let people know what's up with the qually race asap. If peeps can race slalom without the qually then let it be known asap. thanks Chuck

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I think the reality of the situation was that Aug. 27 was the only date that both Beech and Paris could have a DH race on, and it made more sense to have it at Beech so everyone could pre-run the national course.
Paris will do fine in Nov. because the weather should be good, and we have seriously had a lack of DH racing here in the South this year. :rant:

As far as a slalom qualifier, it was JUST announced that they are even having slalom, so word is that USA Cycling may let everyone race slalom that qualified for DH. I hope that is the case.

IMO, Beech has taken on the huge responsibility of properly hosting the National Championships here in the South. I don't think it is their responsibility to hand hold everybody and make sure they qualify. Its not their fault that the rest of the region is not putting on DH and DS races. Most of the people that wanted to qualify went to ETSU or Snowshoe anyway. For me, I am just glad that we are now having two more races. Beech in August, and Paris in November.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
I just think they need to hurry up with the info. so that people can plan for the qually.
The Paris Mt. Race has been rescheduled to November 13th.

I was told by Christopher and Mike that Beech would definitely be doing a qualifier race August 27th.

So i can only assume the hold up on announcements and registration is the USAC permit.

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
Ok if Beech is going to be on Saturday Aug. 27 and Paris is moved back to November 13. What's wrong with sticking some poles in the dirt and race on Sunday Aug. 28th and having an Slalom race old school style with no berm's or jump's down the mountain side? I will stay around after the DH on Saturday and help place some poles in the ground.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Jeremy R said:
IMO, Beech has taken on the huge responsibility of properly hosting the National Championships here in the South. I don't think it is their responsibility to hand hold everybody and make sure they qualify. Its not their fault that the rest of the region is not putting on DH and DS races. Most of the people that wanted to qualify went to ETSU or Snowshoe anyway. For me, I am just glad that we are now having two more races. Beech in August, and Paris in November.
Very well put JR. :thumb: