Quantcast

Need help: bike for max versatility and disc brakes...

cloudcover

Chimp
Oct 2, 2009
hi there -

i'm trying to find a find a multi-purpose bike to use mostly on city roads but also maybe light off-road use (like fire trails, etc). here's my ideal bike:

1. rigid steel frame and rigid steel fork (want to avoid suspension and keep things simple...prefer the ride of steel to aluminum)
2. abillity to take large diameter wheels that are fairly fat (don't really care whether they're 29" or 700c)
3. disc brakes (hydraulic preferred)
4. multiple gears (not single speed)
5. ability to add rear rack and fenders (preferably with braze ons rather than on the seat post, etc)

so far, here's what i've seen and what seems lacking:

1. kona dr. dew (only has aluminum frame)
2. marin muirwoods 29'er (mechanical disc brakes not hydraulic...in the pictures online i don't see braze ons for attaching rack or fenders)
3. raleigh xxix (looks to be about the same as the muirwoods 29'er)
4. gt peace multi (again, looks to be about the same as the muirwoods 29'er)
5. surly karate monkey or soma juice frame (don't like the horizontal dropouts on the rear)

so, with all that background, i have a couple of questions:

1. any suggestions for a complete bike that's any closer than the ones i've listed above?
2. if my best option is to start with one of the bikes above and modify a bit, then any comments on which of the above you'd recommend (in terms of quality of components, frame design, etc)?

thanks,
cc

Last edited:

fatbob29r

Chimp
Jan 19, 2008
What about a Salsa Fargo? Off road, on road... loaded touring, disc brakes, loads of braze ons, fenders. Steel.... what more do you want it to do?

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Are you looking at cross bikes? I recall the Lemond Poprad is steel and sold with disc brakes and the ability to mount fenders/racks. There are probably others.
- Joe