Quantcast

Need help deciding.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I want to buy a new fork for my new Specialized P.1 A1 because the MZ comp sucks. I work at a shop so I can get a good deal on it. I am torn between the Manitou Stance Static 100mm or the Manitou Sherman Flick Plus. I know it sounds like a large bill but I mostly plan on riding urban and DJ's. But we do have down hill in the area so it would be nice to jump to more travel. For the price, the Static sounds better because it is cheaper but the Sherman is super beefy and awesome. Any advice would be gladly accepted. :thumb:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got a static in my garage that I haven't ridden yet but the air assist is pretty dern cool. The two stock jumpers I've ridden bottomed really easily. If you go that (expensive) route, you'll have to bump up the spring rate most likely.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
stance static performance is kinda bleh. The one i rode didnt feel too good. On the other hand, the sherman jumper i rode felt extremely awesome. It was rock hard until you needed the travel. No unwanted movement to rob you of power. Thats in stock form. I dont know if the stance static has it or not, but i NEED adj. rebound on a fork.

DH-DZ

Chimp
Jun 4, 2004
western Maine
the static is ok, it has a good price a cool look and it ride pretty well but the down side is that if any grese gets in the air seal it will pop out under pressure. then you have to clean it off and cram it back in. also this happens if you put to much air in it.

i personally ride stance flow, it has a good feel and the travel is ajuctable from 4 to 6 inches i belive. so you can use 4 in the park and 6 on the hills.

just think about what suits you best.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Very true. I have enough money its just I hate spending my money. I really like all the stuff that the Sherman Flick offers. I can use 110mm for the park then 150mm for my semi freeride. And you have rebound adj. and instant travel stuff. Maybe I will go for the Sherman.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
DONT GET A STANCE! they are trash. SO many of them end up breaking and i did not think mine was and the top cap keeps loosening with oil coming out but thats not the worse part. It makes a nasty clunk noise for no reason, ive never wrecked with it and it feels like the cartridge or something inside is bouncing up and down. Also yesterday i landed a jump cleanly and it sounded like the cartridge rod snapped inside and then it got realllllll hard to compress.

I'd get a DJ1 or a sherman jumper. My buddy matt had a stance it was poo.

The dj1s for an extra pound and a half is not noticeable at all since the stance is pretty heavy as is with a 1.5 steerer on my bike.

moral of the story: dont get a stance.

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
How cheap can you get it? Marzzochi has a bad ass product upgrade program! I have an 04 p2 and they told me $199 for the 05 djIII(4.5lbs) w/exchange of my mz.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Something to keep in mind: The Flick is adjustable from 150 to 110 but Manitou suggests that you only use the 110 for climbing. I have read conflicting reports on this and whether or not Manitou will warranty it if your break it. I have a flick and I personally don't trust it. Sometimes you have to fiddle with it to get it to lock in the lower setting and if you are really cranking on the pedals it clunks around and feels like it might pop loose. I personally think it would break under heavy use. But that said, the 150 setting is sweet. I have the firm springs and get about 30% sag and it feels sooo nice hitting stuff. The 110 setting feels super tight and hard and would be really nice if I trusted it. I've DJed it with the 150 setting and I just preload before hitting the jump by leaning into it a little to settle it down a little. It definately works for me but I'm a big guy.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I only weigh 165 lbs. But being all this said about it breaking, maybe I will just get the Stance. I would the DJ series, but they are heavy. Are there any other forks that you can recommend with QR.

Nov 7, 2004
Tiburon, CA
I say that you do not go with a manitou at all... I have had a sherman and a sherman slider plus, The seals are not the best. Fox makes the best stuff on the market today. If you are willing to spend the money a talas RLC is the way to go. If you want a trail/dj/streat fork w/ a 20mm axle the rockshox Pike is a sick fork with ajustable travel. I just am not a big manitou fan...
-Peter

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Its not so much as the P. Series being heavy, I just dont want all that weight on my front end. I would get a Pike, but I would have to buy a new hub. Rock Shox customer service isnt the greatest either(IMO). I believe that Fox has the best line of forks. Just they are a little pricey. So the Stance might be the way to go with me. Just until I ride it until it dies, then I will invest in a 20mm hub and buy a sweet fork. I can get that Stance anyway at a killer price.

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
rpk1988 said:
Its not so much as the P. Series being heavy, I just dont want all that weight on my front end. I would get a Pike, but I would have to buy a new hub. Rock Shox customer service isnt the greatest either(IMO). I believe that Fox has the best line of forks. Just they are a little pricey. So the Stance might be the way to go with me. Just until I ride it until it dies, then I will invest in a 20mm hub and buy a sweet fork. I can get that Stance anyway at a killer price.
Ahhhhhh! I see. If you don't want weight on the front end why not just go rigid? Why would it take you a year to get used to a fork? But if you do get a stance you should be golden.........like forever! Sounds to me like you already knew what you wanted..............

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
True. I get very confused at what I want. I figured you guys could help me point out problems that all of you have had.

Get this, I have been debating something, I test rode a 2005 model bike and it felt awesome and everything. Well I need a new trail bike. So after test riding it, it was like the icing on the cake. Now I want to get rid of my C'dale Jekyll (in my sig) and get a C'dale Prophet 1000. My brakes suck on my Jekyll and upgrading would take too much $$ considering that I have a 4 bolt pattern disc. So a new bike sounds good to me.