Quantcast

need help getting a ht bike!

edwinrdz

Monkey
May 30, 2006
hey whats up
can anybody tell me some cool ht bikes for freeride, i just look at the santa cruz jackal and its like a bombproof, but can anyone help me getting a bike ???...thankss

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Second that! Sinister Ridge is an amazing bike. Track down an older one with a 1.5 HT and run it with a Totem or a Lyrik.

EDIT: If you can't find one of those, the Transition Vagrant is pretty cool as well. If you want a steel bike, check out Chromag' stuff.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
black market mob all the way. Nothing is better than steel... more pop from lips more responsive frame and if god forbid you ever crack it... just weld it back up.

Sick frame w/spot on geometry.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
What's your price range? The black market mob isn't a freeride bike in any way. I'd go for a used Banshee Morphine. They can be had for around 300-350$ and are absolutely bombproof. Most people thing they weight a ton but they really don't. I've got a medium (i'm 5'10") and it fits me perfectly with a 55mm stem.

A surly instigator is another good choice and used are 125-175, about 6.5lbs for an 18" which is their version of a medium.

Sinister ridge is definitely a sick frame but more expensive and harder to find used.

Cove stiffy's are great, 2.6+ tire clearence, 4.75lbs, but harder to find and on par price wise with the Sinister.

BALOG

Chimp
Mar 3, 2004
I´ve ridden a Banshee Scirocco for almost 2 years as my only bike.

THe frame was considered the most versatile by MTBR.com adn I can say they´re right.

If you want a freeride bike that can still be pedaled up, have a confortable and fast geometry... I´d say go for it!

A frind of mine built his 2008 Scirocco with 2 rings cranks, 2.3 tires and a 2007 Marzocchi AM SL 1 ATA, with 120 to 160mm of travel... the bike can do just anything you want, XC, AM, DJ and even DH.... I love that bike.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
What's your price range? The black market mob isn't a freeride bike in any way.
I would beg to differ. It has comfortable geometry for both drops and jumps. You can get a derailur adapter for the horizontal dropouts and you have the option of vertical dropouts and then the bike comes with cable guides.

I guess it just depends on your version of freeriding. I've been off decent sized drops, lots of dirtjumps, and put in quite a few miles. I often do a 5-7 mile loop, depending on which trail I'm on. And mine is a SS setup w/36-16 gearing.

The last good freeride HT I rode besides my Mob was a Specialized p3. But, I sold that to buy the mob.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
I guess it just depends on your version of freeriding. I've been off decent sized drops, lots of dirtjumps, and put in quite a few miles. I often do a 5-7 mile loop, depending on which trail I'm on.
It does depend on your version of freeriding. I see freeriding as all around but with more emphasis on north shore style riding. 2.5-2.8" tires, 6"-7" fork, burly bikes in the range of most light DH bikes. My usual ride is 10-20 miles depending on the location. Usually fast downhills, technical shore style stunts, some big jumps, and larger drops(10-15ft). Basically a hardtail version of a 6" bike.

I was looking at getting a riot a year ago but decided against it since the frame is designed to be a 26" bmx bike. Super short chainstays, steeper headtube, less tire clearance, short top tube. I always felt cramped riding P3's on freeride trails.

If edwinrdz is still looking for a frame and is leaning more towards DJ and smoother courses, santa cruz is coming out with a new DJ frame to replace the jackal which looks a lot more similar to the old chameleon but with jackal geo.

The scirocco would probably be my choice freeride hardtail now that I have a 6" fully too. Build it with a 24/36 front chainring, 2.3R/2.5F, 55eta, something similar to the TBC revolution 32 wheelset, and you'd have a great all around bike.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
Yeah... different takes... lol. The riot/mob is more cramped than a p-bike, but that's what allows you to pop lips/jumps higher and flick it around easier. It comfortably fits a 2.4 tire (i've never tried anything bigger) but it definitely will not take a longer travel fork. The most comfortable travel is probably somewhere around 80mm or less.

I honestly have trouble imagining a long travel fork on a HT. It just (in my mind) seems like it would have a tendency to have the front end wash out. I have trouble imagining Shore style riding on a hardtail. It just doesn't seem meant for it.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Yeah that's why I love my BMX. They are so much fun, so little maintenance, and strong as hell, not to mention light(mine's 25.5 currently and should shed another 1-1.5)

My morphine does look a little weird with the 66 but I haven't had a problem with the front end washing out. Now that there are so many good 6" bikes I wouldn't go with more than a 150mm fork on a HT. It's kinda hard to explain since I've grown to love my cove g-spot so much but I still really like putting the morphine back together and hitting up the trails on it. For me it's because that's what I grew up around, I look at bikes like the mob the same way as you look at NS hardtails, except I don't understand why people don't just get BMXs instead.

lamp

Monkey
Mar 21, 2008
If you want something on the burly side, get a TBC Vagrant with a 66 or 888. Not as burly? Put a Z1 on it. I may be selling mine in a bit so PM me :spam:

BlackHornet

Chimp
Feb 25, 2008
the transition bottlerocket may not appear to be a freeride bike, and i know its a full suspension but when you doing larger drops then why not have a rear shock to help out your landing? they are a tad bit more expensive but i think they are worth it, get one used not new for money saving purposes. its just a really balanced bike