Quantcast

need help on perfect dj'er

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
hi i just got a kona scab for my birth day, and it came with a rigid fork, and some truativ fire-x cranks and a bashgaurd, any suggestions on how to make it stronger? oh ya a manitou x-vert is on the way, and im thinking about some sun mammoth rims and disc, any other suggestions would really help! thanks :D :cool: :)

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Mammoths would be stronger, but the stock rims should last you awhile. A friend has one of those bikes and other than adding discs, there's not much need to replace anything. Have fun with it! :cool:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by monkeyboy424
hi i just got a kona scab for my birth day, and it came with a rigid fork, and some truativ fire-x cranks and a bashgaurd, any suggestions on how to make it stronger? oh ya a manitou x-vert is on the way, and im thinking about some sun mammoth rims and disc, any other suggestions would really help! thanks :D :cool: :)
replace that Manitou fork with a Marzocchi....Manitiou forks are not the best forks for jump bikes....JMO......D

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
i have basicly the same bike (kona stuff) and the rims (ditch witch) are plenty strong for 2-5 feet to flat (all ive tested) and maybe 8-10 foot doubles, the cranks (truvativ husselfelt) are also pretty strong but im a 210lb rider and im really hard on my stuff. i opted for the disc brakes and got the hayes hmx-1 brakes, work great! and yes ditch the manitou and get a marzocchi dj1 or dj2 fork, i have a exr 100mm right now but if i had the money i would get one of those:monkey:

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
if i had the money i would, but i spent it all on the bike:rolleyes: i still owe my mom 215 dollas for it( i just turned 14 today) so thats what im savin up for, the reason im going with the manitou x vert is a friend is giving it to me, so the cheaper the better:D :cool: :)

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
hey big cheese, the stock wheels on my bike were alex dm-18s i already bent the rear one and got a flat, so i dont think they are gonna last long :D :cool: :)

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
maybe on yours... what year is it, because mine is a 2001 (onsale) and the stuff is a more expensive model and probably came with nicer wheels...... :D :cool: :)

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
would some one with a kind soul please help this 14 year old boy to make his bike dreams come true? well....will yuh......PLEASE?!?! ok:D :cool: :)

VPSGuy

Chimp
Nov 26, 2001
NB canada
Id ditch the fire-X cranks, I saw a 12 yr old break them off a 2 foot drop. For rims Id go with Rhino XL's. Id ride the ridged fork instead of the manipoo, less chance of it blowing up and shooting a top cap at you and hitting you in the eye. :D

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
bump

bump bump

bump bump bump

bump bump bump bump

bump bump bump bump bump

bump bump bump bump bump bump

bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

hehe :D :cool: :)

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
well, where to start... how much money you got layin around??? thatd be a good start.

but, DO NOT GET RHYNO LITES. i cracked the rear weld, and the front is on the way out too. so,i'd say single tracks or atom labs. crank? i have an fsa v-drive isis(90 bucks at pricepoint.com) with an fsa ultimax xtreme pro bb. as far as a fork goes, the x vert should work, but you might wanna look into upgrading to a dj1 or a supernova if you wanna keep manitou going. as for front disc, go with an avid mechanical. for dj you'll fall a fair amount and hydro leversare expensiveto replace. keep v on the rear, like avid arch rivals or any shimano v brake.

PM with any other questions.

Yes, RhynoLites sucks. Get some D521's and a better fork. I don't really know any 14 years old with enough money for a Supernova...:D Basically any Marzocchi will hold up to abusive riding (maybe not the ones with the M Arch from what I've heard). Go far a 2000 or older Z-1 with the bolt on crown.

For cranks (if your strapped for cash) LX, if you have unlimited monetary resources then get some Profile's 3 piece or On-One Retards.

Go with an Avid mech. brake in the front and an XTR V-Brake in the rear or a hydraulic rim brake from Magura if you don't have disc mounts.

That about does it. Hehe

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i have bout 500 bucks lying around, but i think im gonna get the wheels and be done with it, because i think im gonna get a computer for my room ok thanks :D :cool: :)

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Stop worrying about what parts you have and go ride the damn thing. I'm sure whatever you have now will be fine. I've seen people with $200 breakless freeagent single-walled rim, 36 spoke, one piece crank bikes bust at the trails. I'm sure your bike is fine. JMO.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
why would you do that to my thread????? not that i give, but y?? i no i complain to much, i have been riding it and my bmx is already perfect so no worrys there! ok thanx for the suggestions guys, zero stars, do i really suck that much???? :D :cool: :)

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
I'd keep the rigid if I were you. You'll appreciate the simplicity and lack of maintinence in the long run. Also using a rigid will help you develop skills and teach you how to ride smoothly without depending on suspension.