Quantcast

Need Help on Purchase !

Marc-O

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Hey Guys, New to the Forum and a little new to the sport...
I used to x-country ride when i was younger but just now decided to get back into it. Im looking to pick up a new bike and want something decent, but no need to go overboard (if you know what I mean).

Anyways, Ive narrowed it down to 2 choices... ( my budget is/or was, $1000)

The Kona Cinder Cone - $869 + taxes
click here for exact specs
http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_cart/FrontEnd/Products/product_detail.aspx?productid=333&parentid=253

The Giant Rainer - $1100 taxes included ( i know the guy at this shop)
click here for specs
http://www.giant-bicycle.com/cn/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10717

Seems like the Giant is a great deal, and obv. has better componnents on it.

Any suggestions? advice ? (keep in mind i only wanted to spend 1k, but from what i hear the Giant is a way better deal)

Thanks alot guys

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Anyone know about the marz fork on the cinder cone? I thought the EXR on the Giant was the most inexpensive marz fork, but it makes more sense if the giant's fork is better than the konas, given the price difference.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
bjanga said:
Anyone know about the marz fork on the cinder cone?
That same fork came on my Kikapu. It's heavy and kinda worthless, but buy the Kona and upgrade as you realize there's a need and the money's there. I bought my Kikapu and Stinky stock and replaced 90% of the components.

:dancing:

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
First priority is fit. Does one fit you better than the other? If they're equal, then look at parts. If you think your going to stick with cycling, get the Giant. If your not sure, get the Kona [at $699]. Complete bikes are a much better deal in the long run [like any package deal]. You will still have to replace parts down the road with the Giant, just not as fast as you would with the Kona.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
How big are ya and what will you be doing with it?? I (6'7" 260lbs.)busted a Rainier's chainstay in half going down some stairs...I used it for light dirt-jumping on a very well groomed track, a bunch of cross-country usage, and some very light dinkin' around urban style...I haven't ridden a Kona, but definitely make sure the bike you buy fits and feels good.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I've got a friend that's getting out of the sport due to a serious injury.
He's selling his nicely modified 2001 XL frame Enduro for $1000.
PM if interested.
Can't find the spec sheet he sent me right now but I'll try to remember to post it when I find it.
It's a lot of bike for the money.